Copyright laws on using NBA, NFL Team Names and Logos

3ROT1C

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

Coffee not about that there using   Official  Teams/Logos My question was  on copyrights laws on that because i know even tho  Second life my not be checking on these things. Of NBA gets hold of it could be some issues if there  used in way not aloud under USA copyright laws...

15 minutes ago, 3ROT1C said:

Coffee not about that there using   Official  Teams/Logos My question was  on copyrights laws on that because i know even tho  Second life my not be checking on these things. Of NBA gets hold of it could be some issues if there  used in way not aloud under USA copyright laws...

That's my point though, someone could license a copyrighted IP and have permission to use that IP in SL (as was recently seen by Sanrio & Hello Kitty) .. although, due to the money involved I would expect there to be a song and dance about it if it was official.

LL don't police content as under the DMCA that's between the rights holder and the licensee. So even if you see content that would require a license, unless you're the rights holder, you can't report it to LL (although you can certainly report it to the rights holder).

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, 3ROT1C said:

Of NBA gets hold of it could be some issues if there  used in way not aloud under USA copyright laws...

Exactly.  That's why I recommended at least reading the LL intellectual property policy.  The short version is that it's your responsibility to be sure that you are not violating a copyright or trademark.  Most owners of logos and whatnot will not waste time snooping around the Internet to find people pirating their stuff, but they may respond if somebody reports you.  And then there are some outfits ( like Disney  -- you don't want to mess with The Mouse) that really do go looking for violators and then slap a big penalty on them.

• Like 1

The whole league needs to be check on by Second Life,  There so  much going on that isn't right and not just copyrighting.  getting linden from people not doing job they was paid for. To point of  saying they have contacts and the changing rules they see fit to there new friend. Other friend gets **** over  because some new came along....  

22 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Not sure what league needs to be checked by LL.  As for paying someone for something and not receiving it, LL has never gotten involved in resident to resident conflicts.

The only real way it should be,  except a few areas, but we know what those are after as many years as most of us have been around.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.