Help Please

Callalily818

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm relatively new to SL and I'm having trouble with a few things. First, how do you get into a skybox apartment that has no doors to the outside? I can get inside the skybox itself but not the apartment. Second, I'm having trouble selecting a color for makeup or furniture. When the little box with the colors pops up it will not let me click on the color I want. 

9 minutes ago, Callalily818 said:

I'm relatively new to SL and I'm having trouble with a few things. First, how do you get into a skybox apartment that has no doors to the outside? I can get inside the skybox itself but not the apartment. Second, I'm having trouble selecting a color for makeup or furniture. When the little box with the colors pops up it will not let me click on the color I want. 

You normally teleport. Often, there are teleporters set up for that purpose. Even if there are not, you can teleport if you know the coordinates. If you can't do it any other way, you can move your camera into the skybox and "sit" on something.

Texture and color-changing systems will bre specific to the product. Many sellers have support groups or Discord channels. One can usually get help with their products by asking there.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me for help inworld. I'll be happy to help any time I'm not busy.

Not exactly sure about the color part of your question, as I am on the road to learning about it myself, but in my view, if a skybox (or other type) of apartment has no doors to speak of, do you really think you should be trying to go inside? Maybe the person who owns the place set it up that way so no one can get inside with asking first? Just asking cause this sounds a little B/E for me without any more information...

Peace...

Edited by BjorJlen
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Callalily818 said:

Sorry, I should clarify. It is a skybox that I bought and put on my land. Do I set up at teleporter to get inside and if so how do I do that?

Fly up to the skybox and if you have it set in your preferences then use double click to teleport into the skybox and set to home. Then you don't need a teleporter unless you want to go from the box to the ground or some other location on your land.

Second Life Marketplace - teleporter

I use these: Second Life Marketplace - Alpheratz

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Callalily818 said:

Sorry, I should clarify. It is a skybox that I bought and put on my land. Do I set up at teleporter to get inside and if so how do I do that?

You can just open the map and change the elevation point to be inside the skybox.

You can also cam inside the skybox (move your camera to inside), create a box, SIT on it, then Stand Up.

Once you are inside, set Home there and/or create a Landmark.

• Like 3

the sit on a cube trick sometimes doesn't work inside a sky box 

i therefore rez a chair scripted to be sat on outside and move it inside and then sit on it

also there are some great free teleporters on MP - i like the auto-configuring one - super easy to use and allows multiple destinations

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Emma Krokus said:

the sit on a cube trick sometimes doesn't work inside a sky box 

If you mean the falling through the floor part because mesh, you have the cube your sitting on, edit it, resize it before hopping off. Or create another box while still sitting and make a new floor you can stand on. Easy peasy.

35 minutes ago, Callalily818 said:

Good question for beginners like us :), and thank you for the clarification too. 👍

23 minutes ago, Emma Krokus said:

also there are some great free teleporters on MP - i like the auto-configuring one - super easy to use and allows multiple destinations

Could you maybe provide a link referring to the item in question please? As there are over 5568 matching items found so I see... :)

Peace...

2 hours ago, BjorJlen said:

Good question for beginners like us :), and thank you for the clarification too. 👍

Could you maybe provide a link referring to the item in question please? As there are over 5568 matching items found so I see... :)

Peace...

I think there are other versions...? this is the one i like

Second Life Marketplace - Auto-Configuring Teleporter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If you mean the falling through the floor part because mesh, you have the cube your sitting on, edit it, resize it before hopping off. Or create another box while still sitting and make a new floor you can stand on. Easy peasy.

falling sure can be an problem ! :) 

the issues i have had, were:

- rezzing on mesh, and

- the cube giving me an error message when i try to sit - it does not happen within all skyboxes... maybe an issue with boundary boxes? but i'm just guessing...

8 minutes ago, Emma Krokus said:

I think there are other versions...? this is the one i like

Second Life Marketplace - Auto-Configuring Teleporter

Thank you sooo much for this @Emma Krokus! Having just read the Teleporter's description, I love what it can do and the options it has (And yes, I bought one immediately). Truly amazing! And boy do idea's come to mind about how to use this in very interesting ways. Thank you again for the link; two thumbs up! 👍👍

Peace...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Emma Krokus said:

falling sure can be an problem ! :) 

the issues i have had, were:

- rezzing on mesh, and

- the cube giving me an error message when i try to sit - it does not happen within all skyboxes... maybe an issue with boundary boxes? but i'm just guessing...

Rezzing on mesh is what the floor is for and if the skybox is mod you can make it invisible and link it.

You sit on the cube on the ground not in the skybox. Then change the elevation of the cube via the edit window. This also works for creating a new nonmesh floor to land on and rez things on. There is also a reason I said to add at least 2 meters to the cube elevation. If the skybox is at 1000 meters you want the cube to go to 1002 so you will be above the floor level, not in it. That way if you fall off, you can find the cube easy because it isn't hidden in any foundation/floor of the skybox.

There have been the rare occasion when I have had issues sitting on a box but it's been many years ago and has not occurred since. It was server side, not client side or connection so maybe 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Callalily

After you've managed to enter the skybox, as per the several suggestions above, you might want to consider setting that location as your home. If you are using the Firestorm viewer, go to World > Set Home to Here. Once you've done that, you can use the Home button at the top left of the viewer to easily go to your skybox. For further instructions, go to this [link].

In case you have multiple locations you want to easily go to, create landmarks for each one of them by going to World > Landmark this Place. Once you create a landmark, you can access it in your Inventory, under the Landmarks folder.

If by any chance you are using Firestorm, you can further make it easier to access and use your landmarks. Open your Places window by typing Alt+H in Windows. Once you have Places opened, select the Favorites tab. Then drop the landmarks you want to easily access from your inventory into the Favorites folder in the Places window. Once you do that, the landmarks will be available on the top left of your Firestorm viewer, right under the Home, Land and Lighting buttons.

In the image below, you can see the Places window opened at the bottom. In the Places window, in the Favorites folder, I dropped the landmarks I use often. Those landmarks are now easily available at the top left of the Firestorm viewer window.

Hope this helps.

211103Snapshot001.thumb.jpg.7e04c3e5f28bdb000ffbf8dc55bef9f1.jpg

• Like 2

Sooo many ways!

• If you know the x,y,z coordinates of a point inside the skybox, then
    • Set those coordinates on the World Map, and teleport there, or
    • stand on the ground under the skybox at the proper x and y coordinates, and type gth <z coordinate value> (if you are using the Firestorm viewer)
  • Try flying up and then landing on the skybox's roof. Quite a few skyboxes have a Phantom roof and you can just drop right in
  • Swing your camera (your point of view) through the wall and inside the skybox. You may need to change one of your Build preferences to do this. Once your camera is inside, double click the floor to teleport to that spot (you will need to set up "teleport on double click" in your Advanced preferences)
  • Or right click a piece of furniture inside the skybox and Sit on it.
  • Rez a cube next to you, sit on it. Right click the cube and choose Edit. Drag the cube, and yourself, through the wall of the skybox using the colored positioning arrows.
  • If the skybox is editable, right click it, select Edit, and in the Features tab change its Physics Type to "None". Now it's Phantom. Just walk through the wall. Change it back afterwards...or not, as you prefer. (NOTE: Be careful that whatever you are standing on is not linked to the building, or the part of it that you are making Phantom. Or else be sure you are wearing your parachute.)

Breaking and entering is a breeze in Second Life!

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys. I got it figured out. I'm having a problem with some furniture I bought if anyone knows anything about it that would be super helpful too. When I place it it says scanning for tracker and I don't know how to make that go away. I really appreciate all the help.

2 hours ago, Callalily818 said:

Thanks guys. I got it figured out. I'm having a problem with some furniture I bought if anyone knows anything about it that would be super helpful too. When I place it it says scanning for tracker and I don't know how to make that go away. I really appreciate all the help.

This means that you used a rez-box to rez the furniture, but you did not click "Finish" when you had it all set to your liking.

You will need to delete everything that has this message on it, then get the rez box out again and start over. 

Click the rezbox to get the menu. Click Rez first and the furniture will appear. Move the rezbox around to get the furniture in the right place.  Then - VERY IMPORTANT - click the rezbox again and click "Finish" (or "Save" or "Done" or whatever word the creator chose).  After this, the tracking messages will disappear and you can safely delete the rezbox.  And now you can also edit/move individual pieces to fine-tune the arrangement. It's rare that everything will fit perfectly in your room without further adjustment.

2 hours ago, Maitimo said:

This means that you used a rez-box to rez the furniture, but you did not click "Finish" when you had it all set to your liking.

You will need to delete everything that has this message on it, then get the rez box out again and start over. 

Click the rezbox to get the menu. Click Rez first and the furniture will appear. Move the rezbox around to get the furniture in the right place.  Then - VERY IMPORTANT - click the rezbox again and click "Finish" (or "Save" or "Done" or whatever word the creator chose).  After this, the tracking messages will disappear and you can safely delete the rezbox.  And now you can also edit/move individual pieces to fine-tune the arrangement. It's rare that everything will fit perfectly in your room without further adjustment.

And THIS is why I don't use rez boxes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.