MBP M1 Pro (Mac)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 hours ago, Modulated said:

This is a potential user base-which I think you are greatly overstating, versus the actual Windows user base, which is the overwhelming majority of SL users.  The Lab needs to get Windows to Vulkan, as OpenGL is on life support at this point-it would be a meaningful transition for the majority of it's users.

Streaming is expensive, and they've tried that in the past already. It went nowhere. 

All speculation of course on potential users, however some facts can at least shed light on why I speculate this way.  Fortunately due to the court battle between Epic and Apple we were able to get some data on how large Apple is in gaming AND how many current Apple users there are in the world.   The last data I was able to quickly google on Second Life is that it lost half of its user based from 2013 to 2018 from 1 million users to 500K users. 

We found out that Apples gaming share is larger then Nintendo, Activision, Microsoft, and Sony combined and has over 1 billion active users.  Lets just say 1/2% of those users would come to SL if LL decided to make an app that worked on iPhone/iPad (because lets be honest, mobile gaming is what is in now) that is 1 million "potential users". 

But this is all just speculation, my point was/is you should not ignore the forest because you have a few trees.   Window users are not growing, this is a fact.  They are shrinking.  To stay relevant they need to bring in NEW users and the biggest potential user base is on Apple iOS devices.   (Or Android but their gaming share is not as big as Apples)

I do agree that OpenGL needs to go, the issue is LL keeps trying to play "catchup" and not innovating new technologies.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2021 at 6:02 PM, MarissaOrloff said:

I have a high end machine as well (5900x and RTX 3080).  From the comparable benchmarks that i've seen online even the high end M1Max is a minor league player compared to that. It's much better than the utter garbage they had before but it's still not good enough. No one is ever going to choose a Mac strictly for gaming just like no one would choose a Threadripper or Xeon. For CPU bound tasks the M1Max is incredible, but for gaming no. If Apple really wanted to get into the gaming market they would. They certainly have the resources but they have always treated gaming like a red headed stepchild. You can game on it when your work day is over but its not what its made for.

I agree, I thought my post stated that.  The AAA games I could get to run on the  new M1Pro's played at "decent" FPS, not great, not amazing BUT for a Mac it was a HUGE improvement.  I just wish Apple would get serious into the gaming market. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Tara Rojyo said:

I agree, I thought my post stated that.  The AAA games I could get to run on the  new M1Pro's played at "decent" FPS, not great, not amazing BUT for a Mac it was a HUGE improvement.  I just wish Apple would get serious into the gaming market. 

I think Roman Paganism will return to the western nations as the dominant religion before Apple takes gaming seriously :)

• Haha 1

On 10/28/2021 at 6:51 AM, robbiedobbie said:

Has anyone tried the new M1 Pro with SL yet? Curious... I'd like to consolidate my work, personal, and SL computer into 1. 

Just got my M1 Pro 14" with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD storage. It's sunning the default SL viewer pretty smoothly compared to the older MBP 15" (2017). I have also not heard the fan go while running the viewer and it does not drain my battery as much. I'm very pleased with this one. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 5.48.14 PM.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bel Inglewood said:

Just got my M1 Pro 14" with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD storage. It's sunning the default SL viewer pretty smoothly compared to the older MBP 15" (2017). I have also not heard the fan go while running the viewer and it does not drain my battery as much. I'm very pleased with this one. 

What FPS are you getting?  I can stand still with few avatars around and get 30+ FPS but once I get a few avatars like a semi busy shop it drops like a rock down to ~12 FPS.  I have the new 16" MBP M1Pro (Same specs as yours just bigger screen).  

7 hours ago, Bel Inglewood said:

You might want to tweak your graphics setting a bit.  What preset is that, LOW?

(This one is from a 10 years old HP G72 laptop with an AMD Radeon)

Screenshot_2021-11-09_10-49-52.thumb.png.7edb4c00eccb47293db60c463322215c.png

11 hours ago, Tara Rojyo said:

What FPS are you getting?  I can stand still with few avatars around and get 30+ FPS but once I get a few avatars like a semi busy shop it drops like a rock down to ~12 FPS.  I have the new 16" MBP M1Pro (Same specs as yours just bigger screen).  

I'm getting about the same FPS as you, starting at around 44 then drops down to about 12 or even lower at times. It depends on the location and how many ppl around. I'm a casual user/resident as well so I don't go in as often as i used to. I still have to find the optimum settings for this and will probably switch to Black Dragon viewer or Firestorm. 

On 11/9/2021 at 10:30 AM, Bel Inglewood said:

I'm getting about the same FPS as you, starting at around 44 then drops down to about 12 or even lower at times. It depends on the location and how many ppl around. I'm a casual user/resident as well so I don't go in as often as i used to. I still have to find the optimum settings for this and will probably switch to Black Dragon viewer or Firestorm. 

OpenGL on macOS is horrible, it’s performance is bad, it’s not supported or updated… and this running under Rosetta 2 emulation I am surprised it even runs that good. If they made the switch to Vulkan and used Molten for the Mac Vulkan to Metal translation, as well as building for ARM64, the performance would improve considerably. A native Metal engine would be even better, as that would let them easily make iPad versions, but only some of the fastest iPads right now could run it, but it would be good to have ready for a few years from now when most could. If they could figure out the interface, I’m pretty sure it would run ok on iPhone 13 Pro… but an iPad screen size might be easier.

Apple is very serious about gaming… on all of its platforms except Macs. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.