Graphics Cards

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 246 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@JimmySkat CanucciThis one of those "How long is a piece of string?" questions.  It has no answer.  My advice>  The best one you can afford, and almost certainly made by NVidia, most notably because their support for OpenGL is better than AMD.

There my be other concerns, such as "can my computer's motherboard handle it?" or "will it fit inside my computer's casing?"  Without knowing the type of computer you wish to fit it in we cannot advise you.

Agreed, get the best you can afford and Nvidia (SL has historically been better with Nvidia).  I have one of the coveted at the time 3070. In order to GET that I had my choice of two brands LOL (supply chain - supply chain) and I picked Alienware as I will never by from the other company again (enough said).  The 3070  does everything I want it to do in SL with all the settings turned up high.

STILL --- if you are in a mesh heavy, avatar heavy and texture heavy sim  it bogs down. That seems to always be the case. Alas, we do not learn.  

Ok, to clear up some possible confusion. I've been in SL 10 plus years, and I'm well aware of the advantages of Nvidia over AMD. But to get to the point, my question was directed at VRAM on the GPU..how much is the ideal, because that will give me a better bracket of possible models, and I suppose while I'm at it, has anyone seen a difference in performance of cards with GDDR6 over GDDR5..or is it more or less negligeble

2 hours ago, JimmySkat Canucci said:

Ok, to clear up some possible confusion. I've been in SL 10 plus years, and I'm well aware of the advantages of Nvidia over AMD. But to get to the point, my question was directed at VRAM on the GPU..how much is the ideal, because that will give me a better bracket of possible models, and I suppose while I'm at it, has anyone seen a difference in performance of cards with GDDR6 over GDDR5..or is it more or less negligeble

VRAM is largely irrelevant if you've got a card with 6GB or more. Most SL viewers cap VRAM usage at 3GB - the extra headroom is good to allow your system some room to breathe.

As for memory chip speed, the other inefficiencies with the SL pipeline mean that you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jenna Huntsman said:

VRAM is largely irrelevant if you've got a card with 6GB or more. Most SL viewers cap VRAM usage at 3GB - the extra headroom is good to allow your system some room to breathe.

But... but... what if I am running Photoshop at the same time, and also recording video?  :P

I have an nVidia GTX 1650 with 4GB Vram.  As you would expect, it is fine but not terrific in SL generally.  The most stress I give it is at dance performances with an audience of about 60 dressed-to-the-hilt avatars, and if I derender most of them the performance rezzes quickly lol.  Without derendering, it's all gray blobs and floating body parts.

In most conditions 4GB VRam is OK, and doing Photoshop (well, Gimp) simultaneously is not an issue.  BUT ... simultaneous Blender rendering IS a problem.  The card temp goes up a bit, and I've crashed a couple of times.

This is an i7 920  @ 2.67GHz based desktop, 8GB RAM, with Firestorm running on an SSD. 

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 1:58 PM, Jenna Huntsman said:

As for memory chip speed, the other inefficiencies with the SL pipeline mean that you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference.

I have a RTX-3080 (Praise be to the Gods for finding an available one) but in Ultra it is quite common to use around 5-6GB of vram (taking 8k photos in ultra with shadow complexity at 4 and LOD at 4 will use 100% of vram and if the scene is too detailed it will crash the viewer). For just running around in SL it is as smooth as butter. No client lag whatsoever even at a crowded event in Ultra.

If you are looking for a new card find the best one that you can both afford and is available. Available being the key word. It's a sellers market right now and prices can be double MSRP or more. Even used cards are selling for more than what they were originally purchased for. Availability will not be fixed until sometime in 2023. If you are lucky enough to live near a Micro Center in the US they "might" have a small handful of AMD cards (low end 6600 and extreme high end 6900xt but no mid tier) and NVidia Quadro cards (you don't want a Quadro for just playing SL). Best of luck in your search! :)

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 11:20 AM, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Sure, of course, Nvidia is God. Nvidia must be praised and whatever.

NVidia is by no means God.  Their recent drivers have been rubbish for users of more complex multi-screen set ups and for certain  games.  But my experience with SL, You Tube, films and little more has been good.  There is precious little to choose between a high end Radeon card and the middle range NVidia cards like my GTX 1660Ti.  The hadling of OpenGL by the respective cards is not an opinion , it is a fact, AMD stopped work on their cards at OpenGL 4.2...we are now on 4.6 and NVidia is at parity there.

There is no doubt that AMD give much more "bang for your buck" in most ways and I can only speak to Windows application, but in my experience, NVidia still win.

As has been stated by many and especially in the USA, GPU prices are eye-watering and availability low to none-existent.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 246 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.