llRegionSayTo vs llRegionSay

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Instant message has a two second delay and you can't talk to objects.

Instant message can IM agents outside of the sim, llRegionSayTo cannot.

llRegionSayTo can be higher performance as you can target specific objects/agents instead of having every single object int he sim hear your message. This would be useful for things like combat systems.

I am unsure if llRegionSayTo is any better on the sim when used in similar ways to llRegionSay and only one listening object.

Darkie Minotaur wrote:

Most has been said, I think. Just one more thing that opens some interesting possibilities is that something said on llRegionSayTo on a non zero channel to an ava is also heard by the attachments

See, now THAT sounds useful. Everything else seems like you'd have to use one of the other methods, at least once, just to grab the UUID of the object you want to RegionSayTo.

Acheron Gloom wrote:

I am unsure if llRegionSayTo is any better on the sim when used in similar ways to llRegionSay and only one listening object.

assuming it's the only object on the listening channel, probably not much... but it's an assumption that wouldn't hold up well if there are other objects listening to the channel, making it a clear winner there.

the added security and specificity do make for useful features, but people should be aware that security isn't absolute. Targeting an av grants any and all attachments access to the message.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.