Terraforming question - confused by random 0.5 metre- high raised areas appearing on the other side of the sim.

Sofia Varela

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm very cautious when terraforming. I choose the smallest size, lowest strength and have made very small changes to the land (eg raising an area or flattening it , and then smoothing). And at first it looks as though the changes have only affected the area I was working on.

but then, after,  i keep finding new areas in the middle of my sim that are raised... several metres wide... eg. 4m by 6m...  raised by 30cm or so. 

I'm perplexed.  I wonder if anyone can help me understand why this might be happening 

I would understand if an area local to worked on, had been affected. Though even then, it would be frustrating. 

It is disturbing me as I don't want to mess up areas that I have spent ages on as a result of making changes on the other side of the sim.

I anyone can help me understand how I contain the impact of a change, to the area that I apply changes on, I would really appreciate it. 

Thank you!

On 10/24/2021 at 2:19 PM, Olasofia Seelowe said:

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm very cautious when terraforming. I choose the smallest size, lowest strength and have made very small changes to the land (eg raising an area or flattening it , and then smoothing). And at first it looks as though the changes have only affected the area I was working on.

but then, after,  i keep finding new areas in the middle of my sim that are raised... several metres wide... eg. 4m by 6m...  raised by 30cm or so. 

I'm perplexed.  I wonder if anyone can help me understand why this might be happening 

I would understand if an area local to worked on, had been affected. Though even then, it would be frustrating. 

It is disturbing me as I don't want to mess up areas that I have spent ages on as a result of making changes on the other side of the sim.

I anyone can help me understand how I contain the impact of a change, to the area that I apply changes on, I would really appreciate it. 

Thank you!

This would be better in the Land question and answer section here...

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/223-land/

Unless you've already worked it out.  What I did on my homestead was to parcel the land into quarters.  The section for the house with pool I was using needed to be close the sea level while the rest didn't have to be.  It was much easier to terraform the 1/4 to low and flat and keep it that way whi!e doing what I wanted with the other 3/4 without upsetting the flat part.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2021 at 12:13 AM, Rowan Amore said:

This would be better in the Land question and answer section here...

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/223-land/

Unless you've already worked it out.  What I did on my homestead was to parcel the land into quarters.  The section for the house with pool I was using needed to be close the sea level while the rest didn't have to be.  It was much easier to terraform the 1/4 to low and flat and keep it that way whi!e doing what I wanted with the other 3/4 without upsetting the flat part.

Thank you very much Rowan! And my apologies for taking so long to reply. I didn't see that someone had replied.  Good point about putting this in the Land Forum. (Doh!) And that's a great idea about dividing the land so as to avoid catastrophes! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

You can report the thread and ask the moderators to move it rather than start a brand new one.

thank you ChinRey. That's also good to know. Actually I should have said, I just went ahead and flattened those raised areas and they haven't appeared again. I still don't know why they happened, so it might be good to move the thread over, to see if anyone can shed some light. So I'll go ahead and report the thread. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.