How do other people react to your avatars?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

Great, sometimes I really wish i had just stuck with my main.

LOL, don't worry. If you've got nothing to hide, just show that by casually mentioning you're an alt and a main exists. It's not anyone's business what you do on your main or who it even is, of course (unless you're trying to start a relationship or something), but just knowing that you're up front about it might make some women feel a bit less skittish.

If you can't even get to the casual chat about length of time in SL stage, try putting something harmless in your profile. Been around since X, wanted a fresh start, my old inventory sucks and crashed me so hard my flexi wig flew off... you know - stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Is that a thing?  Using PIOF as a way to decide who to socialize with?  I don't think I've ever checked to see if anyone has that or not.

I always checked it..🤪especially ava with good full mesh but NPIOF ,

still make friend but less trust them.

1a9bac5531b6d4e4d77787019a8bdb44--deep-friendship-quotes-friendship-wishes.jpg

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I'm not looking for a partner but if I was, no PIOF would make me suspicious that (a) the other person is an alt and (b) they have a main account who's already partnered to someone else.

Single or not, I would not want to be involved in anyone else's adultery fetish

8 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I'm not looking for a partner but if I was, no PIOF would make me suspicious that (a) the other person is an alt and (b) they have a main account who's already partnered to someone else.

Single or not, I would not want to be involved in anyone else's adultery fetish.

I did observe the SL , and found

male avatar need partner to be accepted in *healthy* community.

so its not about adultery, . I cant pretend become female LOL , its hard.

if you talk about adultery ,LOL

female ava is more easy to find bangbang with other girl or male ava.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

I always checked it..🤪especially ava with good full mesh but NPIOF ,

still make friend but less trust them.

1a9bac5531b6d4e4d77787019a8bdb44--deep-friendship-quotes-friendship-wishes.jpg

Just out of curiosity, why would you trust this person less?  Nice full mesh body and clothes and no PIOF.  What about that scenario is untrustworthy?

I don't understand the hatred of alts.  They can't all be bad.  If they are, where are you going to see this high a percentage of subterfuge from them?

I'm comfortable saying that 98% of the people I meet inworld are pretty good people/characters.  It is actually rare for me to meet a troll or liar or adulterer or whatever negative personality people keep finding.  Where do people go that this is now normal for them?  I go to clubs, live music venues, infohubs/safehubs, and group outings in all kinds of regions from General to Adult.  I just don't see the numbers that you all seem to find.

I meet so few "bad" people.  I can't say I've never met a disturbed individual, but it is the exception.  I can't just be lucky for nearly 12 years.  I've never found a person in my home uninvited even on mainland.  I do not have people raging at me for perceived slights.  As far as I know I've never had a dance partner that was anything but forthcoming as far as I know even when asked about their partner info.  No one has ever threatened to kill me or make me pay.  I just don't see what the rest of you see so often that it colors your view of something so thoroughly that any possible alt can only be here for evil reasons.

How do other people react to my avatar?  Usually with pleasant conversation if I'm up for it.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Just out of curiosity, why would you trust this person less?  Nice full mesh body and clothes and no PIOF.  What about that scenario is untrustworthy?

I don't understand the hatred of alts.  They can't all be bad.  If they are, where are you going to see this high a percentage of subterfuge from them?

I'm comfortable saying that 98% of the people I meet inworld are pretty good people/characters.  It is actually rare for me to meet a troll or liar or adulterer or whatever negative personality people keep finding.  Where do people go that this is now normal for them?  I go to clubs, live music venues, infohubs/safehubs, and group outings in all kinds of regions from General to Adult.  I just don't see the numbers that you all seem to find.

I meet so few "bad" people.  I can't say I've never met a disturbed individual, but it is the exception.  I can't just be lucky for nearly 12 years.  I've never found a person in my home uninvited even on mainland.  I do not have people raging at me for perceived slights.  As far as I know I've never had a dance partner that was anything but forthcoming as far as I know even when asked about their partner info.  No one has ever threatened to kill me or make me pay.  I just don't see what the rest of you see so often that it colors your view of something so thoroughly that any possible alt can only be here for evil reasons.

How do other people react to my avatar?  Usually with pleasant conversation if I'm up for it.

I am here to socialize, alernate ava dont help you to enter  community in sl. thats my reason. I make friend in hope they will introduce me with their friends,

5 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

So you only want to be friends with people you can use to enter other groups?

yes, to find people. like in real.

you meet people socialize, expand connection. is it wrong ?

do you know Mirc ? irc, chatting platform back to late 90s?

i found many real friend there and become my bussiness partener irl.

16 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I don't understand the hatred of alts.  They can't all be bad.

I get why someone wouldn't want to enter a SL (or especially RL) relationship with an alt account, but aside from that situation I'm really not sure why alts would be looked down upon... especially since I'm pretty sure 90% of SL users have at least one alt.

• Like 1

IMO relationship (partner) in SL base on mutual nedds

yes there are some lokloking for,Slex, cuddle.

other looking for , text,

and I read some relation become real.

I am neither of that

I have my own purporses

I can adapt with the SL

😎

ps

I am new avatar , but in real Iam not 1 month age person LOL

and there are no 2nd life in me, because my mind always sit in real.

1 hour ago, LilNosferatu said:

I get why someone wouldn't want to enter a SL (or especially RL) relationship with an alt account, but aside from that situation I'm really not sure why alts would be looked down upon... especially since I'm pretty sure 90% of SL users have at least one alt.

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Going by my own personal experience, and to keep things as suuuuuuperrrrr general as possible - I've seen and heard of alts abused for things like ex-harassment and stalking, general harassment, being ridiculously obnoxious, catfishing, starting fights, and hiding things that would possibly otherwise compromise a relationship (hiding adult employment or cheating or something to that effect). This hasn't all happened to me - just things I've observed over the years. Random example - I remember someone I spoke to ages ago said he had trust issues since his wife or girlfriend or whatever tried to bait him into a relationship on an alt and started a massive fight with him for even talking to it - annoying petty stuff like that, and worse. How common that is - I have no idea. I don't often have things like that happen to me, but I'm pretty social when I want to be and a decent listener, so I tend to hear all the wild tales from the love battlefield.

I'm definitely not saying alts are bad or having them automatically disqualifies someone from anything in my eyes. It's just something my friends and I say as a warning to each other (oh, nice avie, no payment info - definitely an alt watch out girl might wanna make sure that's not beebeeboo falalalala or binglepop boopieboopdingledorp).

If someone mentions having one/several during normal conversation it's fine. If it's something someone finds out ten weeks into a relationship, that usually doesn't end well (and then my ear gets talked off again 😂).

• Like 5

I once made an alt just to try out roleplay.

I made myself an avatar which consisted of a small black sphere that was scripted to flash white and play one of two sounds on command, and spent some of my spare time over the next few weeks roleplaying as a binary digit.

The reactions I got ranged from vague disinterest from some to anger from a few who just wanted me to "talk like a normal person", but a surprising number of people caught on to the idea that they were interacting with a character that was only capable of responding in a binary fashion and managed to carry on some pretty entertaining and engaging conversations that lasted quite long considering the limited nature of my responses.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I meet so few "bad" people.  I can't say I've never met a disturbed individual, but it is the exception.  I can't just be lucky for nearly 12 years.

This, yes now and then you meet someone you wish you didn't know, So you unfriend and block them and move on. How do you know why an account is an alt, or if it even is? One of the beauties of SL is that you can open up to people risk free. Why be so cautious, is it really that bad that you might waste a few moments of you time on someone who isn't worthy of it? What about all the worthy people you miss out on out of fear of the chance of the occasional unworthy one? My main has over 650 friends, and never ignored anyone, and not once has had a serious problem with anyone.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

One of the beauties of SL is that you can open up to people risk free. Why be so cautious, is it really that bad that you might waste a few moments of you time on someone who isn't worthy of it?

This is kind of getting into whole separate topic territory and I don't want to derail tooooo much, but you'd have to just know people who have been harassed to see why some are nervous about others secretly messing around with them on alts. Things aren't always risk-free. In some of the cases I'm familiar with, these were full SL to RL relationships - some that involved international travel and meet ups, so all kinds of personal info was shared/known and used against them later in-world when things ended. It's devious and horrible, and I can understand why some people would be extraordinarily cautious after that. Of course, I would say these situations are very rare, but they absolutely do occur - just thankfully not that often. I went a whole 15-16 years before having my own WHOOAA moment. Nowhere near that bad, but I still side-eye quite a bit.

Ok ok getting back on topic - @LilNosferatu !! I meant to comment on this yesterday, but I forgot.

Thank god once I went for an anime avatar, the creepy IMs slowed down tremendously.

This would make for a really interesting poll! I wonder how many people have experienced less interaction once they changed something major about their avatars. I remember the days where you could run around in a green skin with dragon scales and wings and fire coming out of your eyes and nose and still get hit on relentlessly, lol. I wonder if things changed (or if dragon demon firebreathers still get plenty of attention).

9 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I once made an alt just to try out roleplay.

I made myself an avatar which consisted of a small black sphere that was scripted to flash white and play one of two sounds on command, and spent some of my spare time over the next few weeks roleplaying as a binary digit.

The reactions I got ranged from vague disinterest from some to anger from a few who just wanted me to "talk like a normal person", but a surprising number of people caught on to the idea that they were interacting with a character that was only capable of responding in a binary fashion and managed to carry on some pretty entertaining and engaging conversations that lasted quite long considering the limited nature of my responses.

LMAO that sounds amazing. I have never actually roleplayed with any of my avatars and I don't even know why.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

One of the beauties of SL is that you can open up to people risk free. Why be so cautious, is it really that bad that you might waste a few moments of you time on someone who isn't worthy of it? What about all the worthy people you miss out on out of fear of the chance of the occasional unworthy one?

I NEVER open up to anyone in SL anymore because of things that happened to me in the past. I have been emotionally abused, verbally abused and yes while you can say "this is JUST SL, mute, block and move on" BUT, it's hard when you have invested your heart in a relationship only to have it stomped on. This is why I NEVER open up for a VERY VERY long time. Laugh if you want, roll your eyes if you want, but this is MY  SL and if you can't deal with me not opening up about every little thing in my life, then move on. I don't need people like that in my RL and I especially don't need them in my SL. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Annie Nova said:

I NEVER open up to anyone in SL anymore because of things that happened to me in the past. I have been emotionally abused, verbally abused and yes while you can say "this is JUST SL, mute, block and move on" BUT, it's hard when you have invested your heart in a relationship only to have it stomped on. This is why I NEVER open up for a VERY VERY long time. Laugh if you want, roll your eyes if you want, but this is MY  SL and if you can't deal with me not opening up about every little thing in my life, then move on. I don't need people like that in my RL and I especially don't need them in my SL. 

I am not going to laugh or roll my eyes at all. I don't share personal information either, never have, beyond very general info like what I do for a living or what part of the country I live in. Nor do I ever share social media, other than my SL dedicated Flickr page. I know SL can be dangerous if you are not careful.

Edited by Ayeleeon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

A very good reason not to share this info, but we are talking here about responding to someone in SL. 

Mhm, exactly! In my examples, the alt being responded to inside SL is the one doing the harassment (who is also the SL/RL ex with the personal info).

I'm pre-coffee so maybe my post wasn't that clear (very possible!) - what I meant was the men and women I know are hesitant to engage with new avatars and alts in SL due to being harassed by the alts of previous SL/RL exes. As in, the "new" people they've been meeting in-world aren't actually new - just an old flame stirring up trouble. So when socializing, it's just hard for them to tell who's really legit in general, and they prefer to deal with main accounts with a longer SL history.

It's confusing. And I need my coffee, desperately. And Annie, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. SL can be a real mess sometimes. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Annie Nova said:

It's your SL, you decide how you want to have it. I don't let on much of RL, and there are those who want to be judgmental about it. As long as you aren't violating ToS, what you do with RL info in SL is your call, and personally I respect your for it. If they can't handle how you do your SL, givem a pack of Trojan ENZ and a deck of cards and tellem to f*cking deal with it.

Edited by Charalyne Blackwood
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

This, yes now and then you meet someone you wish you didn't know, So you unfriend and block them and move on. How do you know why an account is an alt, or if it even is? One of the beauties of SL is that you can open up to people risk free. Why be so cautious, is it really that bad that you might waste a few moments of you time on someone who isn't worthy of it? What about all the worthy people you miss out on out of fear of the chance of the occasional unworthy one? My main has over 650 friends, and never ignored anyone, and not once has had a serious problem with anyone.

I suppose one would have to define "serious problem". People have annoyed me. People I know have gone all irrational. Others have been nice until I some point I said, "No" to something they wanted from me. Then they went all macho I'm boss, do it or else... Those are people I've blocked. Now about 55. That averages out to <5/yr. But that has left me jaded enough that I am very choosy about who I friend. I just don't want to spend time with mental midgets. So, how I respond is very much a reaction to how they come on to me.

I look at people's profiles. Payment Info doesn't say much to me. Time in SL does. I will occasionally take time to train a noob. But I am losing patience. Picks and groups are interesting. If they haven't filled out any Interests... I am annoyed, strike one. At least give me your native language.

How people react to my avatar is HIGHLY dependent on where I am. Art galleries, boat sales, Dance Island, Lusthouse4, nude beach, The Sands, The Dome... What I am wearing makes a big difference too.

I do get compliments. But I get way more propositions. That's OK with me. If I don't peak a guys interest I wonder what is with him or what I may be lacking. Can I tell if he/she is interested in a good looking PERSON or just a good looking body?

In SL I think it is more OK to be forward. If guys are too timid, I lose interest. If we aren't humping or doing something fun by now... I need to move on. Standing around talking about the SL weather isn't going to get it. Flying, sailing, visiting fun or beautiful places works. Good pickup lines work... they also make a guy stand out.

• Like 4

Sl to make friend not relation.

partnership in game from my perspective = in other kind game (mmorpg),

community in SL= guild in mmorpg

ex: in other game , you can share skill , things , get buff with your partner.

I n SL I am not prettt sure, till learn about it.

when you bring partnership in SL to your RL = its your own fault

thats why I avoid people that talking too much about their real problem.

• Like 2

It's fascinating to see how different people's experiences are.

As a preface, a good chunk of my SL time, I'm alone on some sim or other, or in my home, so I don't get that many reactions in total; I'm female in real life, and my avis are female (with the exception of a funnily cute avi that is basically a cardboard box).

Most of the time that I'm not alone is spent on roleplaying sims. I get compliments when I'm not just looking around in a "good enough" to not mess up immersion for others avi while admiring the sim, but with an actual committed roleplaying avi, embodying the character I want to play there. I don't dress sexy but "for the occasion", like my char doesn't need to be afraid of frost burns for the sake of showing skin, walking around the forest, she may carry a basket with mushrooms, things like that. I also like playing somewhat unusual characters, which the avi reflects. When I'm serious about a char, it shows, I put in effort, details, Lindens, to get it just like I want, and I'm pretty sure that the compliments are from people who are about the same way in that regard, and appreciate me adding to the visual immersion. I am a little scaredy cat, afraid to "bother" people if I send a pm first, so, sadly, I'm on the receiving not giving end there, although I'll reciprocate, of course. If someone pms me first, I'm very happy to say something nice about their avi or place. Maybe I should work on that, but it's really hard for me.

When I'm walking around "as myself", shopping, I get people asking for Lindens, or where I bought something. Twice, I got a compliment not for my avi but my name and asked if they can buy my account in that same one first message, which scared me so much I didn't reply but logged out. Did I already mention that I'm a real scaredy cat...

Walking around or hanging out "as myself", exploring, I sometimes get casual comments like "cute/nice avi", but mostly my profile seems to induce the communication there, not the avi.

I can't remember the last time I got a "lewd comment", "indecent proposal", or anything of that kind, and it can't have been many altogether in my more than a decade of SL years, as I've always been astounded when reading how commonplace that seems to be. Not sure why not me, maybe because my avatars aren't very sexy or cutesy by SL standards, or because of where I spend my time, or by coincidence, or because of my accounts' profiles, or by a mixture of all that, but no complaints there.

Edited by Meccha Suki
ugly typos
  • Like 3

I get the usual compliments (nice avie, HOTTTT, stunning), the upfront sexual comments occasional and very rarely i have men in my IM who start their IM with "grabs for her ass" or "pulls her in, hands sliding all over her" or something similar .. mostly while dancing (thats why i do not dance anymore with anyone i do not know :().  In the last case, i just stand up from the poseball and walk away. If someone would grab for my ass, i would turn around and give him in local a soundly slap :)

(I had to learn how to react to all the negative advances i was/am faced with. I wouldnt have been able to react in the past. It was a learning curve.)

Today, i find Men who come into my IM and pretend to be nice guys, most creepy, because SL Life taught me that those guys turn (often) out as the worsest. 

In all cases i look at their profiles first before answering. Sex Clubs, BDSM stuff, Dodgers, Interracial anything, and i am out and i am very hesistant to answer to IMs when there is too much RL in their Profile also. I am not interested at RL.

Despise my aversion against sex clubs, i am occasionally dancing at QoS (interracial club with some great music :)) but i have to say, it's much more relaxing there than it is at one of the dance places which prides itself to be about ballroom/jazz *lol*

Edited by Leahndra
forgot something
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.