Newbie here...just bought land and want to clear it...how?

Patriciaszoo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Thank you - to all - for your responses.  I decided to put my parcel back up for sale until I learn a lot more about the game.  I thought my experience with various mmorpg's would allow me to learn Second Life quickly and easily.  Not the case.  Second Life involves a lot of technical detail with which I've never had any experience.  I believe I'll keep my premium membership but pull back on owning land until I know more.  Meantime, I'm getting some really obscene, nasty messages which I'd like to prevent.  Would any of you guys be kind enough to let me know how to do that? And perhaps incorporate a filter so that these sort of message are unable to pass through?  

Edited by Patriciaszoo
Update message

7 answers to this question

If your land has "several" houses on it,  that's one BIG parcel.  And it can't possibly be a Linden Home parcel. There are too many unknowns here for anyone to give you good advice.  We can't even be sure whether you really bought the land or are renting it. I think you ought to invite someone to visit and see what's going on. (Not me.  I am not at home now and cannot log in to SL.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like you may have bought land that is part of the Linden homes land, which means a house and certain objects are included in that sale.  If this is the case then you need to simply go into the land details, choose the option to "abandon" the land, and go looking for a parcel elsewhere that you can build on yourself. The mainland is a HUGE place.  

There is nothing stopping you from having a Linden home as well as other land too. 

Have a good read up please about land ownership in Second Life. It's a good starting point. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Land_Buying_FAQ

There are also some very useful videos over on Youtube created by Lindens (the employees of Second Life) and residents too. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=second+life+buying+land

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Patriciaszoo said:

Hi.  I hate to show my newbie ignorance, but after being on "Second Life" a few hours, I jumped in and bought a parcel of land.  The parcel has several houses on it plus other objects.  All of the houses are lovely, but I want to clear my land completely and start from scratch!  Would someone please tell me how to delete the houses and objects on my land?  Whenever I right click a house, it gives me a list of options but highlights only the options I'm allowed to choose.  The "delete" option is not highlighted and when I click the highlighted 'manage', or 'edit', I get the message that I do not have permission to modify the house nor delete it from the system.. I really don't want to edit or modify it and I don't want to delete it from the system, I just want to delete it from my land.  Please tell me how.  Thank you to whomever answers!🥰

if you are on mainland and OWN the land, do NOT hit the abandon button! You will loose the land.
You'r in the right window, click on the other tabs where you see about objects, and choose "return" ... the object will be returned to the previous owner and you'll have your empty land.
If you'r on a Linden Home parcel you can't delete house or other things, but you can change the home, within the theme, or abandon it and pick a new ( if available)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

It sounds like you may have bought land that is part of the Linden homes land, which means a house and certain objects are included in that sale. 

for me it sounds like mainland :)  ( thats why i warned for the abandon button)

totally agree reading first.. buying after.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Thanks 1

Hey Patricia! 

You are trying to delete your neighbors house. You have purchased 1024 sqm of what is called Mainland. You don’t own everything you see - just a piece of it. 

First, I would recommend turning on your property lines to see the land you purchased. I am going to assume that because I found you at the Firestorm Gateway, you are using Firestorm. I have attached an image from a quick Google search to show you how to turn those on.

Next, I would highly recommend that you watch some videos and do a little reading to get a better understanding of Second Life. 

Here are some links that I think you might find helpful! :)

Try this You Tube search for general beginner stuff https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&search_query=second+life+beginner+

Try this search for info on land:

https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&search_query=second+life+beginner+land

0047FBBB-157B-4183-BD69-120220318B57.jpeg

Edited by Feorie Frimon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.