Something went wrong with an AO I was using. It stopped working, and it disabled all other AO's.

shoeless Barrowstone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

SL gave me an error message when I relogged, something about the AO not receiving permission. I have deleted the offending AO, but the problem still persists. How can I reset everything, so i can use AOs again? I get the following message, when I log into SL:

Script trying to take controls from owner but PERMISSION_TAKE_CONTROLS permission not set.

It does not matter which sim i go to, all AOs have been disabled in all sims

16 answers to this question

I can't really follow the sequence of events that you say caused the problem you describe, but as far as I understand it, you've ended up wearing an AO that complains about not having control permisssions when you log in and that doesn't work.

If that's the case, remove the AO and then, in a script-enabled area where you can rez things, rez the AO on the ground (you may well find it easier to press CTRL 3 before so doing, so as to bring up the edit window and thus keep the object selected when you rez it).

With luck, that should get the AO to start asking you for various permissions again.  If it does, agree to everything and then take it back into your inventory and wear it from there.

If it doesn't, click on the object tab in the edit window and see if the scripts are modifiable (i.e. make sure they don't say (no mod) after the script name.   If they are modifiable, then, keeping the object selected, go to the Build button (in V2) and choose Scripts-Reset All Scripts in Selection.    That should certainly get the thing asking for permissions again.   Agree, take back into inventory and wear.

If neither of those do the trick, you'll need to contact the merchant who sold you the AO (who is not necessarily the person who made the scripts -- in fact, he or she almost certainly won't be) and explain your difficulties.   If the item's no transfer, they shouldn't mind giving you a new one.   If they do, make a backup copy!

First I would detach everything and make sure there is nothing wonky is some item you have attached...like shoes sometimes have movement scripts.  Then rez your AO on the ground, edit it, and then in the tools menu choose recompile scripts.  You might also need to target the AO script in the contents and reset that too.  If you have built a personalized pose set card it should ask you if you want to use the default card or the card you built

Thank you all, but none of this explains why this problem has disabled all of my other AOs. That AO has been not only detached, but completely deleted from my inventory. It is gone, but it did something to me globally which apparently cannot be reset.  i guess no one has ever seen this problem before. Lucky me.

shoeless Barrowstone wrote:

Thank you all, but none of this explains why this problem has disabled all of my other AOs. That AO has been not only detached, but completely deleted from my inventory. It is gone, but it did something to me globally which apparently cannot be reset.  i guess no one has ever seen this problem before. Lucky me.

You say you get that message when you login...What is the rest of the message, the part where it says it what it is from?

That's why I said I don't understand the sequence of events, and I do know a bit about scripting stuff to animate avatars.

Quite simply, you cannot have deleted the AO because, if you had, it wouldn't be able to complain about not having control permissions. Nor do I understand how one AO that's not working -- as the problematic AO cannot be, because it needs control permissions so to do -- can possibly affect another AO that is working. And there is no way that it can be doing anything at all to you if you're not on the same sim.

And deleting it from your inventory will have made no difference one way or the other -- you can only be getting error messages from it if it's rezzed somewhere in world, and from what you describe I very strongly suspect it's rezzed somewhere on the ground. That would explain an awful lot, other than why your other AOs aren't working on other sims.

That is a bit of a mystery, I agree, because there's no way for a scripted object to affect your viewer settings like that, unless you're using RLV, and nothing in RLV can tweak any settings that would affect your AOs. In fact, I'm not even sure what debug settings would -- I am sure there are some, but I have no idea what they are.

Is there anything else you did while trying to fix this problem? First, what viewer are you using? I ask because there's some settings in Phoenix that I think might disable all AOs if injudiciously applied.

By coincidence, someone was asking a very similar question yesterday over in the Scripting Tips forum (different error messages but the basic issue's the same). Rather than repeat all that was said there, I'll direct you to the URL -- Rolig Loon explains how to look for the item: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Scripting/Help-Please/m-p/914243#M2804

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.