Why is it necessary to log in twice?

agentronin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

38 minutes ago, agentronin said:

Why is that when I want to post to an SL forum it is made necessary to log in twice, once to log into SL in general, and again to get into the Forum?

It is a separate section.

Just bookmark/favorite the main forum page and go straight to it.  If you need to log in, you can do so via the 'Sign In' link in the upper right.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, agentronin said:

Why is that when I want to post to an SL forum it is made necessary to log in twice, once to log into SL in general, and again to get into the Forum?

You do not need to be logged into the grid to log into the forum and vice versa.  I use the auto/stay sign ins, (without saving passwords) so when I open the forum in my browser without logging into SL, I don't have to log in, I already am.

You've never needed to log in on the grid to log into the forum. Not in the almost 18 years I've been here.

5 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

You do not need to be logged into the grid to log into the forum and vice versa.  I use the auto/stay sign ins, (without saving passwords) so when I open the forum in my browser without logging into SL, I don't have to log in, I already am.

You've never needed to log in on the grid to log into the forum. Not in the almost 18 years I've been here.

I think they were talking about logging in to the Dashboard first, not inworld.

If you are logged out of everything on the web, then login to the Dashboard and from their click Community / Forums, you will not be logged in to the forums and will have to do so.

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I think they were talking about logging in to the Dashboard first, not inworld.

If you are logged out of everything on the web, then login to the Dashboard and from their click Community / Forums, you will not be logged in to the forums and will have to do so.

I've never logged into the forum from the dashboard. I always log in (when needed) directly on the forum. Forum logins are completely separate from everything else.

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/

image.png.76f44953844d0721df61a5fa061bee71.png

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I've never logged into the forum from the dashboard. I always log in (when needed) directly on the forum. Forum logins are completely separate from everything else.

The vast majority of the time I also just come straight to the forums via a new browser tab, but I have come here a time or two from my dashboard.  Based on other posts that I've read over the years, I think many folks that are not regulars here do come from their dashboard.

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

The vast majority of the time I also just come straight to the forums via a new browser tab, but I have come here a time or two from my dashboard.  Based on other posts that I've read over the years, I think many folks that are not regulars here do come from their dashboard.

So why not use the "shortcut" I gave? Why even bother with the dashboard if you don't have to? 

Why complicate things?

4196394.jpg

😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

So why not use the "shortcut" I gave? Why even bother with the dashboard if you don't have to? 

Why complicate things?

I use a bookmark that takes me straight to my notifications page.  

I think some other non-regulars here use the link from the dashboard simply because they don't come here very often and so haven't bookmarked or noted the exact URL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Chrome bookmark for the forums:

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/

I am always logged in, unless I log out of the community, which I seldom do.

Has nothing to do with being logged in or not to your secondlife.com account page.

You can also read the forums without logging in.  You just can't comment or rate the posts.  This is useful if you have been banned. :)

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.