Skybox building over some else's land parcel

BradTyrone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello everyone 

I have a question that I need help answering, If I build a skybox over someone land parcel can I be reported for abuse? The skybox is over 1500m in the air and I am wondering if the skyboxes that high would effect the land owner's parcel's capacity? please help and kindly comment. 

Ps. I did look up information in the FAQ tab and got nothing google was not much help ether. 

Edited by BradTyrone
misspelled word
  • Haha 1

6 answers to this question

It's called encroachment, regardless of the height it takes place at. You are supposed to keep your own items within your own parcel boundaries, unless you have prior permission from the neighbor whose land you are encroaching on, Whether or not you end up using your neighbor's parcel capacity makes not difference.

Example #1: You have a tree and you think it looks good in one of the corners of your parcel, but the result is that the branches are hanging over your neighbor's land. That's encroachment and you could end up with your tree getting returned to you.

Example #2 You have a 40x40 skybox which you have sitting over your 32x32 parcel, the result is that part of your skybox is hanging over your neighbor's land. This is encroachment and in this case too your neighbor can choose to return the skybox to you because it encroaches on their land.

Another thing to consider is that landlords too can have rules against encroachment and if they catch you they could even as much as end your tenancy.
On mainland, encroachment is cause for filing an abuse report and can lead to anywhere from a slap on the wrist from LL to getting your account suspended if you are a habitual encroacher.

TL;DR : No matter at what height, your items should never extend past your parcel boundaries.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Fritigern nailed it, but a couple of technical points...

If your object(s) encroach on someone else's land, it won't take up any of their parcel capacity UNLESS the center(s) of the object(s) are on their parcel. Then it does take from their parcel capacity, regardless of the altitude.

But even if your objects' centers are on your own land, any parts of your stuff that extend over onto your neighbor's land is encroachment. Land owners can Return encroaching objects using the land tools. When I owned a large Mainland parcel, I would periodically check to see who had objects on my land, and would Return those who didn't have permission to be there.

(The "center" may not be the physical center of the object. It's the point where the colored positioning arrows intersect, when you select the object for editing).

How to insure you stay on, or over, your own parcel: Rez a big flat prim at ground level. Size it to just fit within your parcel boundaries (If your parcel is odd shaped, or too large for one big prim, you can set posts at the corners instead). Now sit on the platform and use the Edit menu to change its Z position to the altitude you want. Poof! You and your platform are now at 2000m or whatever, and still exactly over your own land parcel. Now rez your skybox and position it so that it is within the edges of your platform, or within your corner marker posts.

You should place skyboxes higher than 1,000m and lower than 4,000m. That's because nothing on the ground is rendered above 1,000m, which greatly improves your frame rate. The upper limit is because 4,096m is the limit at which you can rez or place objects.

• Like 3

On 10/12/2021 at 11:06 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

How to insure you stay on, or over, your own parcel: Rez a big flat prim at ground level. Size it to just fit within your parcel boundaries (If your parcel is odd shaped, or too large for one big prim, you can set posts at the corners instead).

To add to the information shared by Lindal, there are tools available (e.g., in the Marketplace), that facilitate highlighting parcel edges or tracing parcel boundaries. This is mostly helpful when dealing with irregular shaped parcels, and can handle areas larger than one big prim.

Edited by Echelon Alcott

On 10/12/2021 at 12:01 PM, BradTyrone said:

Hello everyone 

I have a question that I need help answering, If I build a skybox over someone land parcel can I be reported for abuse? The skybox is over 1500m in the air and I am wondering if the skyboxes that high would effect the land owner's parcel's capacity? please help and kindly comment. 

Ps. I did look up information in the FAQ tab and got nothing google was not much help ether. 

I don't see how you would be able to that if the parcel owner knew what they were doing regarding their parcel settings.  its in poor form to encroach on someone else's parcel anyway.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:06 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Rez a big flat prim at ground level. Size it to just fit within your parcel boundaries (If your parcel is odd shaped, or too large for one big prim, you can set posts at the corners instead). Now sit on the platform and use the Edit menu to change its Z position to the altitude you want. Poof! You and your platform are now at 2000m or whatever, and still exactly over your own land parcel. Now rez your skybox and position it so that it is within the edges of your platform, or within your corner marker posts.

Exactly what my landlord does. She has floating flat prims at a few different levels to delineate her parcel boundary, makes them coloured and slightly transparent, and you place stuff on them and make sure your house/skybox is centred and staying inside the edges. Simple and adds only a single LI to the parcel.

From what I gather from the OP original question I think he may be asking if he puts a skybox over someone's land but it's up in the air will it use their prim allowance and can he be reported. If that indeed is what you are asking you can't just build on someone's land unless they have rez rights open to all, which would not be smart of the land owner to do anyway.  The land owner owns anything on the ground all the way up no matter how high. If for some reason they did allow you to rez a skybox then yes it would use their prim allowance on that land but you can't just rez a skybox anywhere in the sky.

If that is not what you are asking and just wondering about if it overlaps some on their land then carry on. LOL

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.