Why not provide details of framerate and fps?

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As a scripter, I've come to realise that, when I work directly with animators, it's often so helpful to be able to ask them how many frames each animation contains, and its frame rate, so I know exactly how long it lasts and can thus more readily synchronise things.

I don't buy animations myself, but my impression is that people who sell animations don't routinely include this kind of information, and it occurs to me that at least some people would use it if it were available.   It would certainly make it easier to explore AvSitter's and nPose's "scenes" features, which I think could be more widely used, and I certainly find it invaluable when working with animesh.

Certainly in the Scripting forum people regularly ask they can know when an animation ends, and at the moment, the answer may well involve the stopwatch feature on your phone, which isn't really optimal.

Is there a reason not to provide this data?   Probably few people would use it, but those who do would be very grateful for it, I suspect.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

it's often so helpful to be able to ask them how many frames each animation contains, and its frame rate

This is a great idea.  I'm going to add that as an option to embed it in the name of the animation file.  It will be up to the creator if they want to change that information or allow it to travel with the asset.  I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't allow that convenience.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Full perm animation market is builder orientated. AvSitter scene is based on seconds, so any other data would be confusing and useless for builders. "Real" scenes (that will compile into one flawless animation longer than 60 seconds) are rare in SL animation market comparing to "quasi" scenes (given numbers of animations with same or different starting positions that are just connected together with sequencing script with more or less success). Real scene do have one more additional problem: setup time data (how long animation will be played) is not matching actual animation length. For example, animation 46 seconds long will have to be shortened to 44.5 seconds in AvSitter sequence time setup (what ever method one use) to achieve perfect flow (that will happen after 1-3 playing). Animation time setup will work with no shortening time only with 60 seconds animations. So, if AvSitter was frame number and FPS orientated, than such an information would have sense, but as it is not it is useless for builders.

On 10/27/2021 at 12:10 PM, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

Full perm animation market is builder orientated. AvSitter scene is based on seconds, so any other data would be confusing and useless for builders.

I think I can consider myself a "Builder".  Although I don't restrict myself to some imposed standard so I'm free to invent things that push the mark and I will continue to do so, regardless if it confuses "Builders".  I also don't find any of the information that I'm exporting to be useless, I can see a use for every part of it, for various reasons.

I'll be using the new data to compose animations via script, parsing the available details from the asset name, which is going to speed up my work-flow for my projects a great deal.

There are import tools, that many are not aware of, that can utilize this extra information in order to recompose the structure and animation in perfect detail, where, without it, this would be virtually impossible as exampled by tools already present in the wind and less than useful.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:49 PM, BinBash said:

I think I can consider myself a "Builder".

Ok, when I give it a second thought I have been imprecise as I was referring to furniture builders/creators. They are the ones who have to deal with AvSitter and animation data among bunch of other steps in the process of creating piece of furniture. So, when creating a product, I am providing information that they can use, not those that maybe might be useful for them in the future, taking care to make their process of creation as easiest as possible. FPS and frame number data might be useful for 0.01% of them, so that is not enough to get everyone else in the trouble. In a best-case scenario, they are creating their own meshes, very small percent of them is creating their own animations, and none of them is creating animation system. So, as you see, most of them are dependent on animation system and full perm animations. Those two have to be in synch in order to provide furniture creators best possible way to create the product and make their business happen.

What data are you going to provide is up to you, I am not questioning your creation style nor business model. Your knowledge is giving you freedom that most don’t have.  If you think such a data could be useful for creators and if you can provide the ways for them to use it within AvSitter, go for it. The rest of us will learn from you.

• 4 weeks later...

Although not possible with a script, I made a tool, AnimHacker which can view properties of any animation including the duration, loop in and loop out points.

image.png.2e00a66995acb354bcb3fb227ed7eb2d.png

Tip: Some unofficial viewers let you export animations as .animatn files which AnimHacker can read, if the extension is renamed .anim. Don't use it for things against TOS.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.