Alright lads, its our turn. Show off your pics for the ladies to comment on.

Drake1 Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

tongue-and-lips-picture-id530118921?k=20

Doh! You meant avatar pic. Sorry, my bad. That's on me... 😢

(Seriously though, still figuring out the new avatar tech in a sandbox with just free stuff. Even when I got it down at least a bit, there's no way It's gonna look as good as any of yours. Last time I was on I managed to totally erase my torso and arms sands my hands!. Dang high falootin tech I tell ya lol... )

Peace (and keep on rockin')...

• Haha 1

Ok folks, after a long bit of time and some effort between work and RL responsibilities, I think I finally have a in game look I am "semi" ok with. It could be a LOT better of course, and no where near as good as what my avatar looked like back in the day, but I am no where near as skilled as so many of you great people are.
   Everything you see is free stuff except for the beard which I did buy (and yes, I do have LL's to buy stuff; not much, but some). Of course the above pic might look better to some, but hey I am just (re)learning things here, with so much added to SL then when I used to play lol.
   So, here ya go...

95cd7a4fd75e9c1e7c51517a04a7936c.png

4efcc8f4cd71bcec67ef031f08ad4f7a.png

Scary huh...

Peace...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BjorJlen said:

Ok folks, after a long bit of time and some effort between work and RL responsibilities, I think I finally have a in game look I am "semi" ok with. It could be a LOT better of course, and no where near as good as what my avatar looked like back in the day, but I am no where near as skilled as so many of you great people are.
   Everything you see is free stuff except for the beard which I did buy (and yes, I do have LL's to buy stuff; not much, but some). Of course the above pic might look better to some, but hey I am just (re)learning things here, with so much added to SL then when I used to play lol.
   So, here ya go...

95cd7a4fd75e9c1e7c51517a04a7936c.png

4efcc8f4cd71bcec67ef031f08ad4f7a.png

Scary huh...

Peace...

You have a "look" started here with tattoo, all black, and longish hair.  If you were looking for advice on updating without using much to any money, you still have a week to run out and find those amazing free gifts that a lot of creators put out for avatars under 30 days old.

If not and you are happy with your look, then so am I.  I find those who are only looking for the superficial look of an avatar are club hosts, the occasional RP areas, and the rare person who thinks their opinion needs to be stated bluntly and rudely.  My SL partner never bothered to update his avatar - no mesh body or head and he doesn't spend money on clothes.  I don't care now and I didn't care when I met him. (Okay, maybe I think avatar feet are ugly, but most people wear shoes.)

I don't know how long you've been away from SL.  The learning curve for all the new stuff is steep and is constantly changing.  If you choose to, there are free mesh bodies and free mesh heads that will help you get the hang of things.  Also, when you learn EEP, some of the environmental setting can really make an avatar look good whether it is mesh or not and really, your view is the only one that matters.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Why don't you keep using that look?

Well for a few reasons actually. 1) SL has changed a lot Avatar wise since I lasted was here; like before I could just drop any clothes onto my avatar's body and it would work without any clipping. Shoes, Shirts, Pants, etc, it all worked fine. But now, not so much... And 2) My original avatar's look basically consisted of a great semi-muscular body (ala Hulk Hogan, without the SUPER muscles lol) with violet eyes, & long white hair (past his shoulders) with a mustache and beard. It was a very nice "look", I got complemented a lot on it, and I actually worked for several hours just on the face alone lol.

17 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

You have a "look" started here with tattoo, all black, and longish hair.  If you were looking for advice on updating without using much to any money, you still have a week to run out and find those amazing free gifts that a lot of creators put out for avatars under 30 days old.

If not and you are happy with your look, then so am I.  I find those who are only looking for the superficial look of an avatar are club hosts, the occasional RP areas, and the rare person who thinks their opinion needs to be stated bluntly and rudely.  My SL partner never bothered to update his avatar - no mesh body or head and he doesn't spend money on clothes.  I don't care now and I didn't care when I met him. (Okay, maybe I think avatar feet are ugly, but most people wear shoes.)

I don't know how long you've been away from SL.  The learning curve for all the new stuff is steep and is constantly changing.  If you choose to, there are free mesh bodies and free mesh heads that will help you get the hang of things.  Also, when you learn EEP, some of the environmental setting can really make an avatar look good whether it is mesh or not and really, your view is the only one that matters.

Thank you very much for your kind words and advice @Cinnamon Mistwood. The avatar above was basically just a "test run" of sorts so I can at least get a very, very basic understanding of the new in game controls and how avatars are like now. While it is defiantly functional, I very much would like to remake my old avatar using today's in game stuff. The issue for me is, like you said, the learning curve. With me being as disabled as I am, it is steeper then most.
   (I have... god I hate to say it... brain damage from over 30 years of having epileptic seizures. As such, the intake of new information, and remembering it, can be a bit... difficult for me at times lol) So I am now actually thinking of just buying what I need to create the "new/old me", and hopefully learn enough about avatars to be able to wear different clothes with it with as little issues as possible. So I think I "might" actually create my first post about it so I can get some more great advice, or maybe even a kind understanding helping hand. 🙂
   The question is, should I post it here in the Avatar's section, or under another forum section (as I would like as many knowledgeable people to see it as possible, and maybe reply to it). So any advice on that would be appreciated, thanks. 👍 Oh and what exactly is EEP? I have taken notes on what a avatar's body is made up of (skin, mesh, texture, etc), but I have never heard of EEP before. Anyways, thank you big time for the advice and kind words. It's gonna be a bit of a long road for me to travel, but I'll get there... 😁

Peace...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BjorJlen said:

And 2) My original avatar's look basically consisted of a great semi-muscular body (ala Hulk Hogan, without the SUPER muscles lol) with violet eyes, & long white hair (past his shoulders) with a mustache and beard.

Funky. That should be interesting to "meshify".

Did you keep your original inventory or did you trash everything? Like, still got your old look? It won't hurt to wear that again instead of the, frankly, hideous "I did my shopping at Freebie Galaxy" look.

As for make-over help, I suggest a new thread in the Your Avatar section of the forum, along with pics of your old look.

That stuff is no rocket science, just need to get the hang of it.

PS: EEP is a light model which controls the illumination of everything you see in world. There are some very artistic presets, but also a handful which compliment skins a lot.

19 hours ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Roast me. :3c

Are the trees (?) in the background supposed to look like that or is your graphics card' VRAM dying a rapid death?

Edited by Lillith Hapmouche

Unfortunatly @Lillith Hapmouche, everything I once had PC wise is long, long gone (and not by choice either). 😢 And due to my... issue, I can't remember what my account, password, or even name was (not even sure it would still exist anyways, it's been so long as I used to play SL around 2003-2004). And yeah, I am leaning twords making a new (first) post here in the Avatar section (it makes sense, right?). Just gotta word it right is all. And thank you for explaining what EEP is; I was kinda worried that it would be something more I haven't a clue on that I would need to create my new/old avatar. 👍

Peace...

1 hour ago, BjorJlen said:

The question is, should I post it here in the Avatar's section, or under another forum section (as I would like as many knowledgeable people to see it as possible, and maybe reply to it). So any advice on that would be appreciated, thanks.

First, welcome back, Bjor!

I recently returned to SL myself and had to go through the process of updating my knowledge on how to put together a mesh avatar. I used this guide [link] to understand how to use mesh bodies and heads, and this guide [link] to understand how to use BOM (bakes on mesh); they were very helpful to me, and hopefully you'll find them useful as well. This [link] is the final result of my efforts. You made a comment that you won't be able to achieve the same look as other avatars for free; I'd say that with a bit of effort (and being flexible on what your avatar will look like), you can do it; here [link] is what my alt looks like, almost for free. If you have a specific look you want to achieve, you might have to invest some L$.

If you feel inclined, contact me in-world and I can offer you some support and share with you what I learned. Have fun and enjoy your time in SL!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BjorJlen said:

Well for a few reasons actually. 1) SL has changed a lot Avatar wise since I lasted was here; like before I could just drop any clothes onto my avatar's body and it would work without any clipping. Shoes, Shirts, Pants, etc, it all worked fine. But now, not so much... And 2) My original avatar's look basically consisted of a great semi-muscular body (ala Hulk Hogan, without the SUPER muscles lol) with violet eyes, & long white hair (past his shoulders) with a mustache and beard. It was a very nice "look", I got complemented a lot on it, and I actually worked for several hours just on the face alone lol.

Thank you very much for your kind words and advice @Cinnamon Mistwood. The avatar above was basically just a "test run" of sorts so I can at least get a very, very basic understanding of the new in game controls and how avatars are like now. While it is defiantly functional, I very much would like to remake my old avatar using today's in game stuff. The issue for me is, like you said, the learning curve. With me being as disabled as I am, it is steeper then most.
   (I have... god I hate to say it... brain damage from over 30 years of having epileptic seizures. As such, the intake of new information, and remembering it, can be a bit... difficult for me at times lol) So I am now actually thinking of just buying what I need to create the "new/old me", and hopefully learn enough about avatars to be able to wear different clothes with it with as little issues as possible. So I think I "might" actually create my first post about it so I can get some more great advice, or maybe even a kind understanding helping hand. 🙂
   The question is, should I post it here in the Avatar's section, or under another forum section (as I would like as many knowledgeable people to see it as possible, and maybe reply to it). So any advice on that would be appreciated, thanks. 👍 Oh and what exactly is EEP? I have taken notes on what a avatar's body is made up of (skin, mesh, texture, etc), but I have never heard of EEP before. Anyways, thank you big time for the advice and kind words. It's gonna be a bit of a long road for me to travel, but I'll get there... 😁

Peace...

Just a bit of encouragement:  It is a lot to take in and it might very well feel like rocket science.  Technology does not come naturally to me.  My degree is biology/zoology.  There are days I struggle to figure out things that come so easily to others.  I procrastinate updating my avatar with the latest and greatest new items until I am up for a challenge, then I jump in.

You'll get there.  Don't be discouraged if you don't instantly "get it."  You'll make a ton of really funny mistakes while you're learning.  Make copies of everything, so when you turn your avatar pink, or have five eyes, or find your face upside down, you can laugh it off and start with a fresh copy.  I'd love to see your progress as you learn how it all works.  We can giggle about your learning adventures together.

As @Echelon Alcott said blogs and tutorials will be your friends.

You got this!

Now back on topic.  Let's see those pics of male identifying avatars ❤️

ETA: EEP is just the inworld lighting.  It only changes your view, but, of course, certain lighting settings  are  more flattering than others.  Almost anything is more flattering than the default setting.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First of I'll keep this short (and the crowd cheers! lol), but I just wanted to say thank you @Echelon Alcott & @Cinnamon Mistwood for your encouraging words, and in your case specifically Echelon, the links you gave out. I have saved them and am now in the process of reading them (understanding them might be another matter entirely lol). Once I go threw them at least once, I'll be making a post about things. Until then, thanks again big time for the kind words...

Now we return you to the previous movie (topic), now in progress... 😁

Peace...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.