Does this happen to anyone with large Marketplace inventory? Viewer hangs for 10 seconds when moving items in or out.

Elissa Taka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been having a weird issue that's been getting worse over the years. When I move items in and out of the Marketplace, the viewer freezes for 10 seconds, goes white, then pops back to life. It doesn't sound like a lot, but if I'm moving dozens of items, it adds up. 

Worth noting:

• My Marketplace inventory has ~ 2000 active listings and ~2000 inactive listings. 
  • My inventory has 35k items, but they're well organized so I don't have tens of thousands in one folder
  • No problem with my machine specs, I have 64 gigs / ram, good CPU & GPU (it's Windows for what it's worth)
  • I tried this on my Mac and it works fine, no crash (that said I didn't do an extensive test, nor do I use my Mac a lot so who knows). Sadly this isn't an option, SL turns my Mac laptop into a small nuclear furnace. 
  • Tried cleaning my inventory cache etc (even tried it with a brand new install with all remnants of the 
  • Tried both Firestorm and the official viewer. Same results

That's it. Logic says it's a bug with the Windows viewer. Mostly I wanted to know if I was the only one. I can deal with it until it gets discovered and fixed, I just want to make sure it's not something I'm doing.

Any ideas?

edit: actually more like 20-30 seconds. I never really counted until now :)

Edited by Elissa Taka

• Lindens
On 9/25/2021 at 11:35 AM, Elissa Taka said:

Any ideas?

Run Windows Task Manager and have it visible while you're doing these actions.  Select 'Processes' display, all users, sort by cpu usage.  See what jumps to the top of the list while you're doing these MP operations and report back.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 12:40 AM, Monty Linden said:

Yes it does.  Still curious about the process display.  The 'not responding' mode often has a hard CPU spin associated with it.

Good question, but nothing unusual. The orange box is around when it crashed. The same with GPU, memory, etc.

image.png.d1b042c3eeec73f17855816f52b72e24.png

Ok I restarted the viewer with the external debugging console (developer -> Console window on next run) enabled. Yikes! When I rename an item the console is flooded with messages like:

2021-10-14T15:35:06Z WARNING #Inventory# newview/llinventorymodel.cpp(1799) LLInventoryModel::notifyObservers : Call was made to notifyObservers within notifyObservers!
2021-10-14T15:35:06Z WARNING #Inventory# newview/llinventorymodel.cpp(1835) LLInventoryModel::addChangedMask : Adding changed mask within notify observers!  Change will likely be lost.
2021-10-14T15:35:06Z WARNING #Inventory# newview/llinventorymodel.cpp(1846) LLInventoryModel::addChangedMask : Category **JPK Tobacco Backpack Gacha (Listerine) BOX
2021-10-14T15:35:06Z WARNING #Inventory# newview/llinventorymodel.cpp(1835) LLInventoryModel::addChangedMask : Adding changed mask within notify observers!  Change will likely be lost.
2021-10-14T15:35:06Z WARNING #Inventory# newview/llinventorymodel.cpp(1846) LLInventoryModel::addChangedMask : Category **JPK Tobacco Backpack Gacha (Listerine) BOX
2021-10-14T15:35:06Z WARNING #Inventory# newview/llinventorymodel.cpp(1799) LLInventoryModel::notifyObservers : Call was made to notifyObservers within notifyObservers!

Logging to console is taking so long that the viewer is locked up while trying to log. After about 10 min of watching it scroll endlessly I killed the process.

I'm going to take a semi-educated guess that every time inventory changes there's some kind of full refresh of the Marketplace inventory (or possible both MP and regular inventories), either internally or via the network. Maybe it's temporarily running out of memory, or a watchdog timer is getting tripped.

I'll keep digging. 

On 10/14/2021 at 5:58 PM, Elissa Taka said:

Ok I restarted the viewer with the external debugging console (developer -> Console window on next run) enabled. Yikes! When I rename an item the console is flooded with messages like:

On 10/14/2021 at 7:38 PM, Monty Linden said:

Thanks for digging.  This does smell a bit...

It does smell... I spotted this bug back in the time when I backported the Marketplace code to the Cool VL Viewer. Here is the culprit code and my comment about it.

#if 0	// This is a bogus thing to do here (because updateCategory() would
		// change the modify masks and that change would have all risks to be
		// ignored, simply triggering the warning above), and should not be
		// needed any more now that I fixed the observer code for the
		// marketplace (by moving changes to the inventory structure out of
		// the observer event code and into an idle callback). HB
		if (LLMarketplace::contains(referent))
		{
			LLMarketplace::updateCategory(referent, false);
		}
#endif

Note that since my backport is actually a partial re-implementation of LL's code, you'll need to do more than just commenting out the corresponding line in LL's viewer sources (see my comment about moving inv structure changes out of the observer code).

The corresponding line in LL's viewer code for the recursive notifyObservers() call you observe is:

update_marketplace_category(referent, false);

Around line 1697 of newview/llinventorymodel.cpp.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

This issue is still happening. It stopped for me for about 2 weeks where I could load an item from my inventory into the MP window and it was like having a brand new store with little inventory; there wasn't any freezing, screen flashing, crashing, ect. It was great. But, it started up again; both SL and Firestorm viewers.  I hope this gets resolved soon, it has been going on since early 2021 without any resolution yet.

11 hours ago, Nikilei said:

This issue is still happening. It stopped for me for about 2 weeks where I could load an item from my inventory into the MP window and it was like having a brand new store with little inventory; there wasn't any freezing, screen flashing, crashing, ect. It was great. But, it started up again; both SL and Firestorm viewers.  I hope this gets resolved soon, it has been going on since early 2021 without any resolution yet.

As I described in my previous post, this is a viewer bug, that so far has not been addressed by LL and is present in TPVs using LL's code for the Marketplace. Try the Cool VL Viewer, which uses a modified (and fixed) code...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

After LL did maintenance on the login's yesterday, for about 2 hours I was able to load items into my store without any freezing or delays at all. It was great. We lost power due to a windstorm and when I logged back in later, it was back to freezing, flashing, ect. I don't know what changed but I was really disappointed as I thought they had fixed it.  

Did anyone else have a time period where items loaded smoothly? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 12:55 AM, Henri Beauchamp said:

As I described in my previous post, this is a viewer bug, that so far has not been addressed by LL and is present in TPVs using LL's code for the Marketplace. Try the Cool VL Viewer, which uses a modified (and fixed) code...

That's cool and everything but I would prefer LL fix their problem. If I am going to be charged every time I make a sale, then they need to earn that money and fix this problem that has been going on now for close to a year.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.