Old to Mesh

John445 Bachman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1. You can revert back to the classic non-mesh body at any time, simply by detaching the mesh body (and maybe switching to a different shape as well)

2. Yes, you can wear old non-mesh clothing, as long as the body is set to Bakes on Mesh. Most bodies are either Bakes on Mesh by default, or else there's a switch on the hud for it. That enables you to wear system layer clothing.  The only thing that won't work is the wide cuffs on system jeans, and the wide sleeves on the system shirt, you will need sculpted or mesh cuffs/sleeves for those.   Items like sculpted sleeves, collars etc, will likely need to be re-positioned and resized from where they were on the classic body. 

This is me, wearing a very, very old starter outfit with a mesh body: (ok the boots, prosthetic arm and hair are mesh too)

200128_007.thumb.jpg.6696085a82c159bef9c7337315bbe14c.jpg

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, John445 Bachman said:

Thanks Maitimo, more advice if you could.....I tried a demo head and then took it off and have no head. Then I got the demo head back (better than headless). Is my old head in inventory?

Yes, It's still there.  Mesh heads and bodies are like a shell that goes OVER your existing body.  The alpha is what hides your original body and why your head was missing when you removed the Mesh head.  You have to remove the Alpha also.  Alpha layers hide what is underneath.  

I won't confuse things further by trying to explain BOM. (Bakes on Mesh).  Did you read the tutorial I posted in your last thread?  It explains everything about system bodies and mesh bodies.

https://virtualbloke.com/tutorials

12 hours ago, John445 Bachman said:

Thanks Maitimo, more advice if you could.....I tried a demo head and then took it off and have no head. Then I got the demo head back (better than headless). Is my old head in inventory?

The old classic head/body is always there whether you're wearing mesh body/head or not. It's literally impossible to take it off, but it's invisible when wearing the mesh. If it stays invisible after removing the mesh, it means you're wearing an alpha mask to hide it. Remove that mask, and your classic head and body will be visible again.

Let me add a note of caution. You will be able to revert to a former avatar only if you keep unaltered copies of all the components and can remember what components comprised it. The best way, IMHO, is to make an outfit, or, more foolproof, put all of the components in a folder with a memorable name. Then, if you plan to wear any of the original components with the new avatar, make copies to use, and never use the originals.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.