Age verification

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There's been discussion of age verification for SL recently, so SL could get on Twitch. Roblox is preparing to do it.

robolxageverify.png.ef46a2ab96c54219a7ed785ccc043248.png

Age Verification comes in two stages. First, an ID document check, and then a selfie match. On the Roblox app, users start by scanning their ID card, driver’s license, or passport. Roblox uses advanced image processing technology to validate the document’s legitimacy.

From there, the user is asked to capture a selfie to check for “liveness” and “likeness.” Liveness ensures that the person is a living, breathing individual taking the selfie (rather than just a static image of a person), and likeness ensures that the person in the selfie is the same person as the face on the ID document. The entire process is automated and usually takes seconds to get a result after images are captured.

It will be available globally in over 180 countries on both mobile and desktop for anyone 13 years of age or older with a government-issued ID or passport. 

Verification will initially be required for creators and voice users.

Roblox is mostly kids, but they want more adults. This is how they're going to keep them separate.

Tencent has been doing this for a while now. They validate against China's national ID. That's how the time limits on gaming for kids works.

Not sure if it's a good idea, but it seems to be the coming thing from the big players.

Should SL do this?

• Haha 2

Oh hell no! I am NOT buying a damn cell phone for this bs! 

LL verified my ID years ago, they don't need to do it over and over and over again.

These companies that want to try to force me into buying things I do NOT need or want can take a flying leap off a sheer 100 foot cliff on a broken bungie. You want me to have a cellphone you can bloody well pay for the phone and the usage or contact or prepaid or whatever.

Just stop trying to force people into buying things they can't afford. 🤬

• Like 12

No

Payment method already does this to an extent, I don't want any more hoops, I went through more than enough with my credit card, then paypal after my credit card company decided SecondLife was a fraudulent activity and removed it from the list of things I was allowed to purchase, then Skill after Paypal suddenly decided I had to resubmit all my documents again, then my other paypal account after the Skrill site demanded I used a webcam photo ID but refused to find any cameras on any of the three PCs we tried.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, animats said:

Should SL do this?

I would prefer it if they did not.  I do expect eventually, there will no longer be privacy on the Internet regardless and at some point SL will have no choice but to enforce it.  I think they already have my ID, because of Tilia so it is not the end of SL for me.

• Like 1

It would be a logistical challenge and a PR nightmare, so I doubt that LL would ever consider it. Even if they softened the blow by grandfathering anyone who has been in SL for at least, say, five years, it would alienate a huge slice of the loyal base.  And all to deter a rather small fraction of potentially underage members.  The best way to discourage minors from joining is to continue to favor the sorts of activities that appeal to adults rather than children.  That's not a perfect filter, but it focuses on building around age-appropriate behavior instead of trying to trap people lying about their age.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Oh hell no! I am NOT buying a damn cell phone for this bs! 

LL verified my ID years ago, they don't need to do it over and over and over again.

These companies that want to try to force me into buying things I do NOT need or want can take a flying leap off a sheer 100 foot cliff on a broken bungie. You want me to have a cellphone you can bloody well pay for the phone and the usage or contact or prepaid or whatever.

Just stop trying to force people into buying things they can't afford. 🤬

The phone crap getting to rediculos.  They are depending too much on the stupid smart phone --- like PaySuck. Sadly some governments may require IDs for everything on the web. :(

As for SL on Twitch, Twitch should allow non-adult regions on it. Roblox is more for kids while SL is more for adults.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

The phone crap getting to rediculos.  They are depending too much on the stupid smart phone --- like PaySuck. Sadly some governments may require IDs for everything on the web. :(

As for SL on Twitch, Twitch should allow non-adult regions on it. Roblox is more for kids while SL is more for adults.

All it means is my days on the internet are numbered even more so now than ever. They start asking for ID on every little thing and I'ma start shootin. It's gone beyond ridiculous. Way beyond to bordering on insanity.

Twitch isn't a part of my life and isn't ever likely to be so I'd just as soon SL not be on it. I mean, look what happened when LL tried to get SL on Steam. It was on, then it wasn't. And they never really gave a satisfactory answer as to why it wouldn't work. Just the usual evasive blah blah. LL needs to do a lot of work to SL before they even think about Twitch or any other means of suckering drawing people in.

10 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

Linden have made a start on opt-in MFA. Blog post here:

I noticed on the Knowledge Base page it says this: "Multi-factor authentication is currently available on your SecondLife.com Dashboard only. It's opt-in and not required, though it is an excellent addition to your account's security."

So they give you a choice to use it or not. So for those who do heavy business they can engage the MFA to protect their accounts. For casual members who just sign in to check out music or whatever they can proceed as normal.

17 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

All it means is my days on the internet are numbered even more so now than ever. They start asking for ID on every little thing and I'ma start shootin. It's gone beyond ridiculous. Way beyond to bordering on insanity.

Twitch isn't a part of my life and isn't ever likely to be so I'd just as soon SL not be on it. I mean, look what happened when LL tried to get SL on Steam. It was on, then it wasn't. And they never really gave a satisfactory answer as to why it wouldn't work. Just the usual evasive blah blah. LL needs to do a lot of work to SL before they even think about Twitch or any other means of suckering drawing people in.

Since Twitch is owned by Amazon --- they are touchy about adult stuff. So far AWS already kicked off a couple of MMORPGs from their servers since some action show adult matter.

Been there done that. The what we used to call 'the Lab' have had it from me since  2006. Second wave well we all remember. btw I am not Tupac either.. in joke probably. And so US centric it was.

So sure - make us 'paperless' easy to track. By being unpersons (if I have to explain then  hello its 2021). Old in the tooth but not that old.

@animatsDo appreciate the issues you bring up. Keep it up

11 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Since Twitch is owned by Amazon --- they are touchy about adult stuff. So far AWS already kicked off a couple of MMORPGs from their servers since some action show adult matter.

Not part of mine either. Never was Amazon corp - point? Choose. Now or .. possibly too late

9 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

And yet SL just recently completed the move... 🤔

Maybe LL better get ready to make a switch, SL just might have the same thing happen for the same reasons.

I never have been comfortable with the idea of SL being "on the cloud". This was just one of the reasons and for me it's a very minor one except for the fact that it could now mean the end of SL.

*sighs* You get rid of one axe hanging over your head and someone just has to hang another one in it's place. 👿

The Selfie to confirm "liveness" is sure to bother some alts, who have died years ago...

I look younger than my Driver's license photo too.  At least 10 years younger. I can pass for not a day over 70...

My partner would end her SL account, and  her 15 year SL spending spree, paying LL fees on the thousands of 2K $L purchases from dollars.  Her eyesight is so bad she cannot see a thing on her smartphone, which she only answers on voice now when the batteries are not dead.  When her bank went to 2FA just to log into her checking account, she stopped using online banking.  Now it's only the wired telephone to call the bank locally for her balance, etc.  Once that is gone, she will be isolated as she slowly dies.  And of course that is the plan.

• Sad 2

If age verification is limited down to a government issued ID such as state ID, drivers license, or military ID, I'd be "ok" with it, not too happy about it.

However, if they require cellphones, which quite a few sites are doing with 2FA or some form of verification, I am absolutely against it. I do not have a cellphone, I have VoIP number(but I can't use this because VoIP is blacklisted way too often). I cannot afford a cellphone plan because I am on disability. I know I am not the only one who is in such a situation.

However, if age verification was added into Second Life, I would expect it to do something else such as lowering the minimum age requirement as well. Age verification would be pointless and possibly cause people to leave out of frustration(either because they can't verify a specific ID, or they don't have a ID, or other issues). That number has to be made up some how by increasing the number of possible residents, and since a lot of other virtual worlds allow anyone above the age of 13 to join while restricting those under the age of 16 to general rated regions.

I am quite aware that the minimum age requirement is a controversial subject, but I am looking at the bigger picture of user acquisition and competing in a increasingly competitive market. Adult will still be adult, and only people over the age of 18 will go there. And people already lie about their age, if they were given access to G rated regions, it may actually have the effect of reducing under aged users in moderate and adult regions.

Edited by Chaser Zaks

Think of it as for anyone who is into adult content the ID is reasonable to keep minors from accessing things that virtual world provide (example IMVU) has this to verify legal age of course you may think it works but kids do lie to fit in with adults thus not understanding the consequences of lying about age in general as for Roblox I think its a stupid game in general and Twitch just needs to add an NSFW part to its platform where a channel can provide material suitable within its TOS.

1 hour ago, Chaser Zaks said:

If age verification is limited down to a government issued ID such as state ID, drivers license, or military ID, I'd be "ok" with it, not too happy about it.

However, if they require cellphones, which quite a few sites are doing with 2FA or some form of verification, I am absolutely against it. I do not have a cellphone, I have VoIP number(but I can't use this because VoIP is blacklisted way too often). I cannot afford a cellphone plan because I am on disability. I know I am not the only one who is in such a situation.

However, if age verification was added into Second Life, I would expect it to do something else such as lowering the minimum age requirement as well. Age verification would be pointless and possibly cause people to leave out of frustration(either because they can't verify a specific ID, or they don't have a ID, or other issues). That number has to be made up some how by increasing the number of possible residents, and since a lot of other virtual worlds allow anyone above the age of 13 to join while restricting those under the age of 16 to general rated regions.

I am quite aware that the minimum age requirement is a controversial subject, but I am looking at the bigger picture of user acquisition and competing in a increasingly competitive market. Adult will still be adult, and only people over the age of 18 will go there. And people already lie about their age, if they were given access to G rated regions, it may actually have the effect of reducing under aged users in moderate and adult regions.

Tracephone phones are cheap 40 bucks to buy the smart phone up to 30 bucks a month for phone plan with 3GB data limit if I don't know if its open to where you reside at. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.