Audio playing when SL is muted. What is that?

Sindee Bubble

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is so frustrating! I am shocked that I am the only person expereincing this, especially since it has followed my to my new computer.

Can someone please help. I am at the point that I am ready to give up SL. I can not play on mute. Its is pointless. All of my media options have been muted and yet I still hear movie advertisements and commercials. WHAT IS THAT?? I hear it in public locations and on private land. 

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? I saw someone post the same question a few years back and everyone advised to check the audio settings. I have done that 50,000,000 times and this strange audio will still play while the game is muted.

Who needs privacy I guess,

If the game is muted, and this is on a new computer with a freshly installed viewer, I could only guess the sound is coming from another application.  I wonder if you have an attachment that is opening an external browser that is playing advertisements.  I'm not sure if that is even possible or not though.

Edited by Istelathis

Is it maybe the radio stream? Hm but you said all media is muted ... Are you really sure its SL? Have you muted the main sounds? Or just partly? Have you tried taking all your stuff off? Maybe an item is doing those sounds, so just get naked x3 and put one thing after the other on again to see if one of those things is doing that.

10 hours ago, Sindee Bubble said:

This is so frustrating! I am shocked that I am the only person expereincing this, especially since it has followed my to my new computer.

Can someone please help. I am at the point that I am ready to give up SL. I can not play on mute. Its is pointless. All of my media options have been muted and yet I still hear movie advertisements and commercials. WHAT IS THAT?? I hear it in public locations and on private land. 

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? I saw someone post the same question a few years back and everyone advised to check the audio settings. I have done that 50,000,000 times and this strange audio will still play while the game is muted.

Who needs privacy I guess,

As well as pressing the mute button, try unchecking the box next to each sound type. For media specifically, that can stop the obnoxious website from being loaded by the viewer in the first place.

Also if you have a Win10 PC, you can right click the sound icon at the bottom (  then click "Open Volume Mixer")  and adjust each part that is creating sounds. For instance , you could turn up SL and turn down the rest. If that solves the problem then it's something external to SL.

Does this happen everywhere you go or just your home? 

Edited by Doris Johnsky

Presuming the sound stops when you close the viewer entirely (if it doesn't, then it's coming from another application or website on your computer, or from another device)?

And presuming that you have disabled both media and audio stream, and you can still hear it?

If the answer to both the above is YES, then this means that the sound is coming from an object, either one you are wearing, or one rezzed on your land, or one rezzed on a neighbour's land.

This will bring up a list of all sounds playing within a certain range. You can click each one to investigate it, play it locally (so you can check which one is the annoying one) and identify the object it's coming from.  If it's an object you own, you can detach it/delete it. If it's something owned by a neighbour, you can blacklist it from the Explorer list. 

• Like 1

Hey thanks everyone,🥰

I have tried everything and it is still playing 😑

I have muted all audio aspects.

This happens in different parcels so I have don't think it is my furniture. 

I am using a Mac 2021

I don't have any additional apps operating at the same time.

Something is possibly running in the background but yes guys it only happens when SL is running. 

I will give Firestorm a shot .. thanks Lewis.

8 minutes ago, Sindee Bubble said:

Hey thanks everyone,🥰

I have tried everything and it is still playing 😑

I have muted all audio aspects.

I am using a Mac 2021

I don't have any additional apps operating at the same time.

Something is possibly running in the background but yes guys it only happens when SL is running. 

If you're in an area where there are other people's houses, etc. with things like televisions, your camera can quickly locate them and they'll start to play, and they don't stop playing automatically. If  you open up the media panel you can see what's playing nearby. If you spend a lot of time in that area it's a good idea to block those things because it'll keep happening otherwise.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sindee Bubble said:

Different parcels in the same region?  Or is it everywhere you go?

If its everywhere, in different, unconnected regions, then it's something you are wearing.

Detach everything and revert to the "default" noobie starter avatar, and check that the sound stops.

If it doesn't, then what you are describing is literally impossible.

• Like 1

I'm curious if the OP hears the same sounds when logged in with an alt and in the same places. If no, then it's something their main avatar is wearing. If yes, and it's still happening absolutely everywhere, in every region, then I would think it's time to submit a support ticket.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.