Jump to content

Once again, it is perfectly ok to play a child avatar


Recommended Posts

I'm getting annoyed that every time I seem to be in a public place, like the Blake Sea, some troll starts harrassing people about being pedophiles and about grooming people, simply because we use child avatars. Twice in the last few months, I've teleported to a public place, fully clothed and doing nothing, only to immediately be called an ap'er and a pedophile.

Please stop doing this.

Seriously.

Just stop.

The Terms of Service for SL bar adult content executed by or towards child avatar. It DOES NOT bar the use of child avatars. There is a lot of content and certain groups in SL that I don't like or approve of. I simply avoid them. I don't go crusading or attacking others for how the play this game. If you don't like child avatars, then go on not liking them. All I ask is that you keep your mouth shut and not openly harass and falsely AR people because of something you don't like.

Why is this a problem? Besides the fact that this is harassment and can get people banned, an accusation that someone is a pedophile, regardless of any proof to that claim, can cause someone to lose their job and destroy their entire life. In the Western world, you are innocent until proven guilty, but someone even saying that word can end your life forever. It is the absolute worst form of slander/libel that you can commit, and it comes purely from hate.

If you see someone playing a furry but you don't like furries, don't say anything to them. If you see someone doing Gor but don't like Gor, don't say anything to them. If you see someone playing a child avatar but you don't like child avatars, don't say anything to them. It's as simple as that. You not liking something doesn't make you the moral authority, and you trying to destroy someone's life just because you don't like something is utterly deplorable.

Any questions? I'm happy to have a civil discussion and answer any legitimate questions people have about child avatars, because I recognize that some people genuinely don't know. That's fine. What I'm talking about are the trolls and bigots who won't listen, regardless of the presence of any facts. So if you have questions, please ask them. If you're a troll though, just don't say anything.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Any questions?

Well, I'm probably not your target audience, but since you opened the floor. . .

  1. Do you use your child avatar all the time on SL, or just some of the time? What do you like about being a child avatar? Are there some things you dislike about it?
  2. When you're a child avatar, are you always 'in character'? or do you sometimes(how often?) just be your normal (adult) self but with a child avatar representation?
  3. What are the main activities you do in SL as a child avatar?
  4. Not quite sure how to ask this, but is there ever any friction or dissonance caused by the fact that you (as an adult) have more mental faculties and maturity than one would expect of a person of the age your avatar represents?
  5. In the real world, it is rare for anyone below a certain age to ever be unattended by a parental figure or other adult supervisor (or maybe that's just a cultural thing?). Does that ever cause problems for role-playing and exploring, and if so, how do you navigate around that?

I think that's most of the things I'm curious about. I haven't really had many run ins with child avatars.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just block them and AR them if they harass you. I've done the same to child/underage avie players who IM me inappropriate things out of the blue, so that door swings both ways.
They can't harm you if you are abiding by the rules. Happily in SL we don't have to listen to people who are being jerks.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

in a public place [...] immediately be called a [something]

I think this just about sums up public places in SL already.

No matter what you look like in SL, in some of these public places, you'll immediately be called anything. Twice in the last few months doesn't seem so bad either, in that respect.

Just know that, like in real life, there's always lowlifes hanging out in such places, wasting their time 'defending their territory'--their territory being their center stage in the spotlights, with their audience. They'll find any excuse to make anyone strange or new feel uncomfortable there. Even if you have the audacity to say something like 'hello', they'll jump on you and talk you down and make sure you'll never come back. If you really feel the need to hang out in such places, dress up inconspicuously first, listen to what they have to say amongst themselves and when they are there, Only then decide if you really want to hang out there at all.

Now, you can jump high and low and insist that it's your constitutional right to be there as an SL resident, but remember it's also your constitutional right to be where the real-life bullies hang out.

I think your only option of 'fixing' such a place is becoming a bigger bully than they are. Or organize a demonstration with signs that say 'leave us kids alone', and such. Good luck.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I think this just about sums up public places in SL already.

No matter what you look like in SL, in some of these public places, you'll immediately be called anything. Twice in the last few months doesn't seem so bad either, in that respect.

Same with racial stuff. Been called names, etc in world including a club owner.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Same with racial stuff. Been called names, etc in world including a club owner.

Agreed.  I had a DJ friend who is Black who was called the N word by some redneck a**hole,

I got all in his face and told him what I thought of him, then the DJ banned him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Same with racial stuff. Been called names, etc in world including a club owner.

I’m sorry that’s happened to you & embarrassed for those who behave that way- since they lack the ability.

I’ve had horrible things messaged to me about Pixie’s weight- which I had either slink hourglass or Belleza Frey’s for the past 6+ years.  Not an exaggerated ultra fat fetish body.  But I do-did keep my sliders on the “fat” end because it felt more “me”.  
People feel free to message crude barely literate insults that do bother me to a point, just like in real life in instances like a man holding the door open for a much more attractive woman who wasn’t with him, and then walking away or behind her, all while making eye contact with me.  & then there are those who craft paragraphs about their disgust in my avi- once someone talking in local about how my appearance made them vomit.

There’s always going to be someone, somewhere who has to spew venom at others to make itthru their own insecurities.  =/

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Agreed.  I had a DJ friend who is Black who was called the N word by some redneck a**hole,

I got all in his face and told him what I thought of him, then the DJ banned him.

The club owner that was racist to me was one where me and my man DJed at (since fired). She didn't believe racism exist when my man was telling a story of us going to the south long ago and almost getting chased out of a few places since we are a mixed couple. She said in local chat that don't happen no more and got annoyed at my man. She didn't want to believe racism is  still around. I think she might be cooped in her house all day. Sadly this club been around for 14 plus years. I remember posting this in an older thread on the board regarding racism in SL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2021 at 3:16 AM, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

I'm getting annoyed that every time I seem to be in a public place, like the Blake Sea, some troll starts harrassing people about being pedophiles and about grooming people, simply because we use child avatars. Twice in the last few months, I've teleported to a public place, fully clothed and doing nothing, only to immediately be called an ap'er and a pedophile.

Please stop doing this.

Seriously.

Just stop.

The Terms of Service for SL bar adult content executed by or towards child avatar. It DOES NOT bar the use of child avatars. There is a lot of content and certain groups in SL that I don't like or approve of. I simply avoid them. I don't go crusading or attacking others for how the play this game. If you don't like child avatars, then go on not liking them. All I ask is that you keep your mouth shut and not openly harass and falsely AR people because of something you don't like.

Why is this a problem? Besides the fact that this is harassment and can get people banned, an accusation that someone is a pedophile, regardless of any proof to that claim, can cause someone to lose their job and destroy their entire life. In the Western world, you are innocent until proven guilty, but someone even saying that word can end your life forever. It is the absolute worst form of slander/libel that you can commit, and it comes purely from hate.

If you see someone playing a furry but you don't like furries, don't say anything to them. If you see someone doing Gor but don't like Gor, don't say anything to them. If you see someone playing a child avatar but you don't like child avatars, don't say anything to them. It's as simple as that. You not liking something doesn't make you the moral authority, and you trying to destroy someone's life just because you don't like something is utterly deplorable.

Any questions? I'm happy to have a civil discussion and answer any legitimate questions people have about child avatars, because I recognize that some people genuinely don't know. That's fine. What I'm talking about are the trolls and bigots who won't listen, regardless of the presence of any facts. So if you have questions, please ask them. If you're a troll though, just don't say anything.

Well... I usually ignore Child avis, or report them after a few minutes without warning If I notice them lurking on adult places with erotic content. It's not nice to Attack people in general just because u dont Like an Avatar, even If they creep you out AS long their behavior is Not against TOS.

But.
 

Some Child Avis can be really annoying even at non-rp places. Sorry but I dont wanna get approached  by them or Talk to them or listen to some adults "Baby Talk" even in Forums Outside of SL. It creeps me out, I dont want it, leave me alone and do Your (hopefully nonsexual) Family RP with someone thats actually interested in it 🤣 please for the love of god

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CoraxCorv said:

Well... I usually ignore Child avis, or report them after a few minutes without warning If I notice them lurking on adult places with erotic content. It's not nice to Attack people in general just because u dont Like an Avatar, even If they creep you out AS long their behavior is Not against TOS.

But.
 

Some Child Avis can be really annoying even at non-rp places. Sorry but I dont wanna get approached  by them or Talk to them or listen to some adults "Baby Talk" even in Forums Outside of SL. It creeps me out, I dont want it, leave me alone and do Your (hopefully nonsexual) Family RP with someone thats actually interested in it 🤣 please for the love of god

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hear Hear

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2021 at 5:28 AM, Quistess Alpha said:

Well, I'm probably not your target audience, but since you opened the floor. . .

  1. Do you use your child avatar all the time on SL, or just some of the time? What do you like about being a child avatar? Are there some things you dislike about it?
  2. When you're a child avatar, are you always 'in character'? or do you sometimes(how often?) just be your normal (adult) self but with a child avatar representation?
  3. What are the main activities you do in SL as a child avatar?
  4. Not quite sure how to ask this, but is there ever any friction or dissonance caused by the fact that you (as an adult) have more mental faculties and maturity than one would expect of a person of the age your avatar represents?
  5. In the real world, it is rare for anyone below a certain age to ever be unattended by a parental figure or other adult supervisor (or maybe that's just a cultural thing?). Does that ever cause problems for role-playing and exploring, and if so, how do you navigate around that?

I think that's most of the things I'm curious about. I haven't really had many run ins with child avatars.

1) Yes, all the time. It's fun being carefee and innocent and enjoying the simple things of life. It's nice having something else worry about all the important stuff. 

2) I'm always in character. I come to SL to get a vacation from the stress of RL and adult responsibilities. 

3) I roleplay on a Star Trek sim with my friends and family. I also enjoy going to school, shopping, making clothes for my store, fishing, photography and meeting up with friends (other kids). 

4) No, when I'm in the RL I'm an adult, when I log in to SL I get into the head space, kind of how a method actor might. 

5) Most of the time I'm not unattended and when I'm not I'm in PG / kid friendly places where it wouldn't be unusual to see a 9 year old by themselves. 

As for why I play a child avi, well that's pretty personal. Let's just say I had a pretty traumatic RL childhood so it's a way of making up for that. My SL mommy and daddy are lovely! 🥰

Edited by brodiac90
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it's a pg/g Sim, I'll interact with a child Avi, sure. (RP or whatever)... Adult rating, sorry kiddo, just gonna derender and watch the radar, if they don't leave, I contact the owner/manager AFTER I've contacted the child avi's owner and reminded them (politely) that the probably don't belong in the region. 

As for the haters and kiddie-phobes and the racists, block, mute, send an AR and have fun doing what you came there to do. (wouldn't surprise me if the kiddie-phobes were pedos themselves, as its often the case with people who are hardcore homo-phobes.... But don't forget that lesbians are okay with them) 

 

 

(no @coraxcorv, I wasn't calling you out, your response is reasonable) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I worked almost 40 years with kids in RL. So you might think I know where I'm talking about when it comes to kids.
Well, I never met a child avatar in SL that even came close to the way they think, act and talk. They can look cute, but the moment they start talking, the illusion is totally gone.

That's why I don't like to deal with child avatars in SL.
Everyone has the right to be who he/she wants to be in SL, but child avatars please, pretty please, don't try to involve me in your play.
Ignore me, like I will ignore you when inworld.
 

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sadly there will be bad eggs anywhere, both in RL and on SL.

As long as your not a "normal" person, but then again what is, you will most likely deal with people who got an issue with whatever no matter what you do or what you "are".

But then again it isn't as black and white, sometimes there is a good reason for someone to react.

My experiences being, seeing a toddler avatar with bdsm gear at an adult store years ago and getting "hit on" by a baby furry at a furry club. Second life does give a platform to both good and bad people, nobody can deny that there are bad people doing bad things with avatars as these, but that puts other people in a bad light, making people assume the worst, and that is just sadly how it has become.

Furry, anime and toddler avatars will most likely get someone after them, troughout their SL life, there isn't much to do there other than block and move on, find somewhere else to go that are more welcoming for most.

But let's not forget that there are bad eggs behind any kind of avatar and person, including "human" avatars, which I personally have experienced and do not wish on anyone.

But that does not make me instantly think, oh that's a human male avatar so they must be a P*** etc, assuming things is never good for anyone, as long as there is no real proof, words should not be spilled.

 

Edited by PixelBerry
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

The club owner that was racist to me was one where me and my man DJed at (since fired). She didn't believe racism exist when my man was telling a story of us going to the south long ago and almost getting chased out of a few places since we are a mixed couple. She said in local chat that don't happen no more and got annoyed at my man. She didn't want to believe racism is  still around. I think she might be cooped in her house all day. Sadly this club been around for 14 plus years. I remember posting this in an older thread on the board regarding racism in SL.

I firmly believe many people still have prejudices.  I don't believe we have SYSTEMIC racism.   We wouldn't had a Black POTUS for 8 years if we did.  Not to mention all the other high ranking Cabinet members and members of the Legislature. Some of whom are from the deep south. 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I don't believe we have SYSTEMIC racism. 

Just because there are examples of a thing, (Ex. black congress people) doesn't mean those things appear as frequently as one would expect all other things being equal. Not the place for this discussion, so I should probably just drop it Buuuut. . . if there's no systematic racism, how do you explain:

Quote

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

I worked almost 40 years with kids in RL. So you might think I know where I'm talking about when it comes to kids.
Well, I never met a child avatar in SL that even came close to the way they think, act and talk. They can look cute, but the moment they start talking, the illusion is totally gone.
 

Have to say this was my experience too, and I'm not even talking about the super creepy sexualised ones. 

Innocence doesn't know it is innocent, by nature. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I firmly believe many people still have prejudices.  I don't believe we have SYSTEMIC racism.   We wouldn't had a Black POTUS for 8 years if we did.  Not to mention all the other high ranking Cabinet members and members of the Legislature. Some of whom are from the deep south. 

That would only be a valid argument if systemic racism had to be 100% effective in order for it to exist.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Your numbers are skewed because of the number of people living in the hoods of Chi-town and other big cities.  Those cities run by Dem mayors and councilpeople, have done NOTHING to increase jobs in those cities.  They have made sure they stay poor and helped stir the gang violence and poverty, But who's counting?    

Taking that at face value, you're admitting that there's systemic racism in said dem cities.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...