Please give us the option to block threads

Istelathis

I enjoy visiting these forums, but I don't want to have someone peeking over my shoulder looking at my screen and seeing some of the controversial subjects that pop up here from time to time.  Not to mention, I really don't want to see some of them myself.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Maybe don't come to the forums when your family members are around? 

Thanks for the advice, I don't mean to dismiss it as you took the time to provide your solutions - but for me it just doesn't work.  I have little privacy in the house, and the point of the thread is I would like to have the option to block threads so they no longer appear and such precautions are not necessary.  Personally, I don't like scoping out the house to make sure no one is close by before I check for new threads on the forum.  I understand the best option is to just to avoid the forums entirely, rather than chance embarrassment by my family, but I still enjoy reading some of the threads here and keeping informed of what is happening in SL as well as participating with other people. 

Edited by Istelathis

I recall that a few of us have asked for this, quite a few times.

In perusing the Invision website, I found that someone has made an extension for this ability, which implies that the software does not provide for such a thing natively.  The extension 'Ignore Topics' is pretty cheap, so maybe @Linden Labmight look in to adding such extension to the forums here.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ended up making a user script(as I do for every change I want but it isn't a thing) for this. You can get it (and view the source code) here: https://gist.github.com/FelixWolf/8d6f2e5835c62747ad7097de4b83db6d

To use it, you'll need Tampermonkey, which is a user script client. Basically it lets you run custom javascript on pages so that you can tweak sites how you want them to run.

It adds a little block button like this:

image.png.84bc47bc68ef1e0297d81ab1dc748fdc.png

Once you click that, the thread disappears from view!

To unblock threads, go to the top right of the page content and click this:

image.png.b58e5e8a4e80f46893a245425b5294ad.png

Then click unblock on the thread you want to unblock:

image.png.f48aaeb6e3d930ace87f4700a9cdab5f.png

Once done, don't forget to click "Hide blocked threads" (in the same location "Show blocked threads" is at, it is a toggle!)

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4