Question regarding fly overs

Savannah Wizardly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

if you're talking about Bellisseria, yes, it's designed to allow traveling without barriers. the covenant is written in the land info of your parcel, it explains the rules. flying over peoples parcels is allowed but they should be at east 100 meters above ground I think. you can have a security device ( one is provided in home kit ) to kick people off your parcel but it has to give a warning and allow at least 15 seconds for the person to leave, with several other specific security rules listed.

• Like 4

While @DevinKnights84gave you an answer in regard of the covenant already, let me assure you that you don't need to worry, mainly for these reasons:

• Aviators are most likely focused on their plane instruments to correct their height or destination because region crossings and texture loading lag can be a nightmare.
  • Texture loading lag is the reason why most would turn down their draw distance anyway and keep it so low that chances are high that they'd be already on the next region before your avatar turned from a blob into fully rezzed.
  • The plane is most likely way too fast to let your avatar rez at all; it takes a only a brief moment to pass over a 1024 sqm parcel. 
  • Flying over mainland is tricky already, so most aviators will be fully focused on the joy being finally able to fly without obstacles. 

Last but not least, if you want to get an idea how it looks from up above to see yourself that you don't have to be worried, and can fully enjoy nudism in your home despite any plane randomly passing over it, you are cordially invited to join me on a flight. ^_^

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Savannah Wizardly said:

Do I have to allow ppl to fly over my home? I added a person to my banned list because if I’m in my home naked or busy I don’t want ppl flying over even with security on.  And person telling me I need to allow her to fly over????  I do have a skybox 3000m above as well.  

You only have to allow people between 400m & 2000m.  The Linden Security Orb - in your content pack - will take care of the land up to 400m.  You can also use it in a skybox.  If you rez you own, be sure that it allows people in the 400-2000m range - and that you follow the other rules (minimum of 15 second warning and eject from parcel, not send home).

• Like 4

• Moles

Residents in Bellisseria can ban anyone they wish from their parcel. That being said, banning people simply for flying through your parcel isn't really keeping in the bellisserian spirit. As others have pointed out people flying overhead in planes and such aren't particularly interested in you or what's on your parcel. They are just passing through for a few seconds. If they are low enough or hanging around on your parcel long enough to see anything... well, that is what security devices are for. 

Here are the current requirements for any security devices used in Bellisseria as per the Covenant:

*Security devices are only allowed if they comply with the following restrictions:
     -Minimum of 15 seconds warning time (no shorter)
     -Eject from parcel only (not teleport them home)
     -Effective range cannot include the airspace between 400m and 2000m (to allow for people to fly overhead but not in the airspace where skyboxes are allowed)
     -Does not add names of ejected persons to the parcel ban list automatically

If you're going to use a security device we strongly encourage residents to use the one we give free in the Linden Homes Content Pack you can get by clicking on your house controller (mailbox). It cannot be set in a manner that is inconsistent with the Covenant. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Savannah Wizardly said:

I am using the linden security. I just thought it was rude for someone to make a big deal that they couldn’t fly over a speck of a 1024 parcel. Especially when I was in my skybox.  Which is 3000m above. Didn’t want someone flying threw it with me there.  Lol 

if it's the same returning flyer over and over, and stops to cam i'd ban, otherwise just let it happen. They'r gone in less than the eject time of 15 seconds.
And as said.. you can ban anyone from your parcel you want. They can make a big deal about it, but mute/block solves a lot  :)

"the spirit"' of Belliseria is of course a great and nice thing.. but it's non existing otherwise than in a minority of people, they just want a home and have nothing to do with what is around there as neighbours or communities. ( the last very understandable because they have the stamp of clique allover them)  Also as example see the maintaining of the covenant, what many rezz around or add to their homes.. that is also the "spirit".
Belliseria is great.. that above all, but has, as all it's own issues.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2

• Moles
2 hours ago, Savannah Wizardly said:

I am using the linden security. I just thought it was rude for someone to make a big deal that they couldn’t fly over a speck of a 1024 parcel. Especially when I was in my skybox.  Which is 3000m above. Didn’t want someone flying threw it with me there.  Lol 

It's frustrating for flyers because a ban means they cannot enter the parcel at any altitude and they cannot see the ban lines until it is too late. Flyers are generally going to stay well below where skyboxes are.... otherwise they end up running into skyboxes, which they don't want to do either. Understand that from their point of view if they were doing nothing but flying over a parcel well far away from the owners home or skybox, being actively banned just for that would feel overly unnecessary and rude... something generally reserved for when someone has displayed some sort of purposefully unpleasant or hostile intent, rather than a simple momentary innocent trespass. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

[...] they cannot see the ban lines until it is too late.

That is already a nightmare cause everyone would try their best to avoid a closed parcel. But even worse than that is, if you crashed into those ban lines and the plane got stuck so unluckily that you can't even delete it. I had that happen a few times to me. Not what anyone wants because, of course, no one would enjoy getting their parcels littered, nor do I enjoy littering someone else's home unintentionally. 

• Like 6

I personally dont use security systems and it is extremely rare to get someone on my property. I think I have noticed it happen maybe 4 times in the course of a year... and in two cases they merely flew over (low level avatar flying not airplanes) in seconds on their way somewhere else. I have been trying to figure out what the issue is of someone one flies over in airplane at elevation of between 400 and 2000M? If that happens, I dont even notice them and I cant see how it might possibly harm me or my property in any manner.

I know that there are some people who really enjoy flying around bellisseria, just like some love boating or some love trains. I am fine with them flying over my place.. indeed it is a pity that they are up so high and dont get a chance to admire my lovely outdoor landscaping :)

• Like 11

21 hours ago, Yukiko Yeshto said:

[N]o one would enjoy getting their parcels littered

I did!  When I had an art museum!  One of those self-driving vehicles went off the road and crashed on my land;  Instead of returning it, I turned it into another exhibit, complete with art about carbon emissions.

627548530_carattacklol_002.thumb.png.551ad431f7fd04c2ef69dd892e4f83f0.png

440718728_ExhibitExplanation-CarAttack.png.d71209ca41258afc03e1416ae3b4ab4e.png

973250943_carattacklol_001.thumb.png.7cae9ce26b705843fcdf3727180e13be.png

1066591981_americanway.png.05e575d58275cca5c04a8b2c76331b2a.png

158844882_carcrash1.png.13a29cc6fc348138fadd6a16c1739a74.png

1328267546_oilspill.png.28f479597a9417067f6b5edfeba7e8db.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

Your average aircraft pilot in SL usually flies at a minimum speed of at least 15 metre per second. The standard 1024m LL home parcel is 32m across, which means that, using basic maths, that aircraft is going to spend only 2.2 seconds in your property. 

As someone who frequently flies in Bellisseria, let me tell you what I see when I fly over a parcel.. pretty much NOTHING xD

A few seconds is barely enough time to render the house and LL trees, let alone any furniture, either inside or outside the house. Of course, even if it did all render, a pilot still can't see any of it because they're either looking at the back of their aircraft (in 3rd person view), or they're looking at out the front of the cockpit (mouselook view) - no chance of being able to see any avatars.

As already mentioned, pilots don't want to run into skyboxes anyway, it tends to ruin the flight ;)  So usually we will fly in that 400-2000m "safe zone" in accordance with the covenant. 

• Like 10

I do a lot of flying and I cannot think of one instance where I was remotely interested in what the green dots below were getting up to. I and other frequent flyers tend to use the mode of transport to get somewhere and not as a surveilance tool. I have been flying in a helicopter a few times and gone over a public space (For example SS Galaxy) where a party seemed to be going on and zoomed in to see who was there lol but that's because I want to steal clothing ideas.

• Like 4

I quite enjoy seeing boats, horses, cars and trains etc around Bellisseria. I wish I could see planes but I never have. I have seen a hot air balloon once. I don't have any security at my homes and only twice in two years have I ever had an 'intruder'. I ejected them and that was that. I felt no need to ban as I doubted I would see either again. One of the joys of Bellisseria is the lack of ban lines which ruin parts of mainland. There is no privacy in Second Life really anyway, people can derender your house and even your clothes if they want, even if you have ban lines. When driving any vehicles or riding a horse, you need to concentrate on navigating so its unlikely anyone is even noticing someone in a skybox.

• Like 3

I've never tried flying in SL (not in an aircraft at any rate). I enjoy sailing but I am terrible at driving and I don't doubt that I would be a terrible pilot too.

I do enjoy seeing people travelling around bellisseria though. Whenever I can, I participate in the boat parade (its a bit late when its a work-night) and its lovely to see people coming out to the riverbanks to watch us go past. 

• Like 1

You can set your land so people can't see you on your land which means they can't see you if you are naked or fully dressed. That's the easiest way to solve your issue. It doesn't matter how close they are or if they cam into your house they can't see you.

2 hours ago, MillyWH said:

You can set your land so people can't see you on your land which means they can't see you if you are naked or fully dressed. That's the easiest way to solve your issue. It doesn't matter how close they are or if they cam into your house they can't see you.

Parcel Privacy only prevents people from seeing you if they are either not on your parcel, or on the other side of the banlines within your parcel.

If they're in the same section of the same parcel, they can see your avatar despite that setting.

17 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If they're in the same section of the same parcel, they can see your avatar despite that setting.

If you add at least one name (any resident) to your parcel ban list, then you can not see another avatar when you are over 50 meters away and both avatars are on the SAME parcel.  This was tested only on a Bellisseria 1024 sqm parcel.  On larger parcels the visibility distance increases.  I think this is a long term bug (or undocumented feature).  But someone can hover like 51 meters higher than you with parcel privacy turned on, and you cannot see them and they cannot see you, if there is at least one banned name in the parcel ban list.  

For example, if my Alt is at 21 meters elevation, on the ground, then he will turn invisible when I fly to a height of 72 meters above him on the parcel.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

On 9/24/2021 at 12:09 PM, Jaylinbridges said:

If you add at least one name (any resident) to your parcel ban list, then you can not see another avatar when you are over 50 meters away and both avatars are on the SAME parcel.  This was tested only on a Bellisseria 1024 sqm parcel.  On larger parcels the visibility distance increases.  I think this is a long term bug (or undocumented feature).  But someone can hover like 51 meters higher than you with parcel privacy turned on, and you cannot see them and they cannot see you, if there is at least one banned name in the parcel ban list.  

For example, if my Alt is at 21 meters elevation, on the ground, then he will turn invisible when I fly to a height of 72 meters above him on the parcel.

That is what I meant by "same section of the same parcel."

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

On 9/24/2021 at 3:09 AM, Jaylinbridges said:

Yet, another dated bug LL won't prioritize fixing. https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-37601

The parcel privacy ceiling no longer works on full region estates, too. https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-230749

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.