Inventory constantly needs to be "clear cache" and "clear inventory" to retrieve my items?

Athyssa Seafarer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For the past several weeks, repeatedly I must hit the sandbox and clear my cache and clear inventory to regain my items. Yes, I have over 100K YES... I am very OCD about my inventory with subfloders of folders and then SUB folders of those Folders! Especially since the Mesh and Bento changes!

I LOVE landscaping so my Outdoor, Yard, Front and Back, Garden, Beach, Water and Ground items are all in several sub folders so I can get to them faster without having to scan through folders. My Trees, Bushes, Plants, Flowers, Grasses, Ornamentals and Vines are in several sub folders as well.

Clothing! Good Lord! Classic, Maitreya, Bellezza, Freya, Isis, Slink, Basic, Hourglass, Eve, basic, Curvy, Legacy SE all are sorted as per body type but then again by the clothing item itself..

Bodies! same as above as well as several Demos of bodies that I declined to buy

Heads! Same All makes in seperate folders, Each different head in a seperate folder, make-up folders as to each head and make.

BOM items and SKins all sorted as to type of head and applier

So, with an inventory that is constantly cleaned, sorted and cleared out. Regularly emptied trash.  Why am I constantly every other day now it seems, I have to go to an unpopullated sim, reset the preferences with Clear Cache and Clear Inventory and wait... ????

What is Linden Labs doing? My Firestorm is the latest version, haven't had issue before and if I did, FS walked me through fixes and resolutions. I've spent thousands now over the years only to get ill when I see my inventory is 1/2 to 3/4 gone... *sighs*

9 answers to this question

Did you go through the lost inventory steps rather than just clearing your cache == in particular the one where you copy a file from the Linden viewer or another viewer that DOESN'T HAVE THIS ISSUE over to your viewer of choice?   

The FS crew has told us repeatedly that clearing cache often is NOT a good thing. I clear mine maybe twice a year?    

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_missing_inventory

Have you tried the Linden (or a third party viewer) to see if you have the same issue?  If this was a problem  for a lot of folks I am SURE we would have heard about it :D.   

Yes I've been told the same thing! I do not like doing it!  Missing inventory.. Yes. The first time I had to go to Hippo hills [but since then have found a premium place where there are no other avatars at all]..and sit there, go through preferences and check to make sure I had things right and relog. The only thing I have not done is going to the system file and removing the syntax at the end of the file name and relogging that way. here is what I followed:

• Try clearing your inventory cache - keep reading for how to do this.
  • Open Preferences -> Network & Files -> Directories, then click the Clear Inventory Cache button, then relog to Hippo Hills Island or whichever low-lag location you chose.
  • If that did not work, clear the inventory cache manually:
    • Click the Open button to the right of cache location. This should open a file picker window.
    • Locate the .inv.llsd.gz file that starts with YOUR avatar key. Your key can be found in your profile, under your name.
      • The file will look like this: XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.inv.llsd.gz
      • (Depending on your OS settings, you may not see the .gz at the end of the filename, but the file type should show as GZ, gzip, WinZip, or WinRAR, depending on what utilities you have installed on your computer.)
    • ESSENTIAL: Log out of Firestorm.
    • Delete the .inv.llsd.gz file located above.
    • Log back in to Hippo Hills Island or whichever low-lag location you chose.
    • Allow your inventory to fetch.
Either way, every few days items In the folders are gone/missing, and having read the FS pages for resolution, I'm not finding answers as to why.

Thank you for the assistance though and suggestions!♥

am not sure if this is the same issue I have on the Linden viewer

sometimes when I log in it appears that sections of my Inventory is missing

what I found is that my stuff is present (not missing) but the viewer inventory folder tree is not working as it should. So what I do is close all Inventory folders (gear icon) then open the My Inventory folder (top of the Inventory tree) then open any folder, and voila the folder tree has rebuilt/repopulated as it should

A handful of times this month I've gotten the "Received purchase..." Marketplace notification in my viewer, but it's not in my inventory. The inventory has barely 10K items.

But all I've needed to do is relog. I've never (ever) had to clear my cache to solve inventory issues, other solutions have been enough.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

On 9/17/2021 at 8:12 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Did you go through the lost inventory steps rather than just clearing your cache == in particular the one where you copy a file from the Linden viewer or another viewer that DOESN'T HAVE THIS ISSUE over to your viewer of choice?   

The FS crew has told us repeatedly that clearing cache often is NOT a good thing. I clear mine maybe twice a year?    

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_missing_inventory

Have you tried the Linden (or a third party viewer) to see if you have the same issue?  If this was a problem  for a lot of folks I am SURE we would have heard about it :D.   

I did open a ticket. I was told it was my internet and the fact I was still using Windows 7. I installed the LL Phoenix viewer, and followed the steps support asked me follow as Evie stated she found some slight corruption and had made a script for it.  So after logging in on the Phoenix viewer, clearing everything in preferences and logging out and back in some items were missing but not as much as before. So, basically... it's my problem, nothing to do with Linden Labs or their end.

This is why I get irritated and leave for awhile. I play ESO as well as a few other MMRPG's without issue. I do know I have enough RAM and recently purchased a new graphics card for ESO specifically. The processor is a i5core and I am sure that is sufficient enough power... but again.. its easier to pass the problem to another than to find a solution I guess.

Now, I can try FS and see what they say.... *shrugs*

Update #3

After spending the day double checking FS's pages,  my internet.. and btw... I am hardwired. I don't care for wireless and I'm even more skeptical about cell phones!  When I lived in Nevada, I went to the DEFCON conventions. Amazing what you learn from those classes. Scared the beejeezus out of me!  But anyway... my internet is 250+ D/L speed and 11 U/L speed the LL servers are near Portland Ore. so I ran tracert and some ping times to check those.. those bounced around depending on the server I connected to,  the lowest was 53 and the highest was 88. I didn't check the hops though. Cross country connections vary but my connection has been stable.

So all in all, after going over every thing I could think of on Firestorms pages, the only thing I can think to try now is... when I log in, instead of logging in at home, I need to log onto an empty sim and see how that works for a week. If indeed the issue is that the sim I am on is causing enough lag that I am not "fetching" my entire inventory, then I have an answer. My partner and i are both aware of the rez time it takes for us to finally see one another completely, so this maybe the answer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.