I can't be the only one who believe SL's Second Rising is not impossible, what do you think? - Strategic Overview

lucagrabacr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Second rising of Second Life is not impossible. I'm showing this to everyone because I want everyone to believe, the answer is in the details, this is a simplified video supplement of it

There are pathways for Second Life to play an important role in the upcoming Metaverse future

Development and cost-effective surgical rebranding plus change of user experience can be done, there are so many possibilities, we should stop thinking about Second Life from what we know about Second Life, from there we can drive hype and interest, and use the capital for more development

I'm either insane or right c= the more apathy and defeatism towards SL I see the more I want to show the contrary! We can do this ♥

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

what would draw the crowds in legally LL does hold a license for,  what would draw the crowds in the content creators do not hold a license for, do you see why it will not be come like you imagine?   those licenses take lots of money and are within strict guidelines,  people would 100% expect a ready player one type virtual world,  it has everything they want,  plus there's more to that equation too.   SL is fine how it is, lots of us throw money at it, lots of of us do what we can to keep it going.  

• Like 1

There's only one sure fire way to *cough make Second Life great again.
A distinctive, modern, funky re-name of the whole platform:
The envelope please.... thank you.
Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you.....👀
ratatatatatatatat, boom tish! 👉 NECRO LIFE! 👈
              😁😃🤩🤭

• Haha 7

I like to imagine that the rampant toxicity in the Second Life Forum is what kills potential interest.  After all, don't people tend to check reviews and related forums before considering trying a product?  Those that  come here and get a face full of crap and probably won't bother making an account, and yes, this forum can be read without logging in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

I like to imagine that the rampant toxicity in the Second Life Forum is what kills potential interest.  After all, don't people tend to check reviews and related forums before considering trying a product?  Those that  come here and get a face full of crap and probably won't bother making an account, and yes, this forum can be read without logging in.

Gads, if the forums are the face of second life, then we are all doomed.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

You give us all way too much credit.  Most people I know who have been around as long as I have, never visit the forums.  I highly doubt most new people bother either or if so, an extremely small percentage.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

Seems high for a dated platform on the verge of death.

It would seem Mr. Waterfield and Mr. Oberwager would disagree with you as they bought LL just a little over a year ago.

https://massivelyop.com/2020/07/10/second-life-developer-linden-lab-has-been-acquired-by-an-investment-group/

• Thanks 2

I think what they should think about is how all the online VR spaces can coexist in one virtual reality. Perhaps there could be a common standard that could allow some degree of interaction between worlds (perhaps not full native functionality for guests, but an ability to experience parts of this grid within their own paradigm could be quite interesting for everyone and increase the appeal of each respective service, which would no longer need to try to be all things for all people but could instead cater to different populations and different needs while still allowing for the possibility of better external integration. 

All we need to do is make sure the metaverse doesn't fall into the hands of large corporate operators like Facebook but stays in the control of smaller communities concerned with more traditional things like society and humanity and privacy from eavesdroppers and data aggregators on the simple principle that VR is an extension of our private homes or even bodies to a private business and there's an expectation of high international standards of privacy and integrity that Facebook is simply not-credible to provide because their business model relies totally on violating it fundamentally when they're not trying to edit or curtail their victims' freedom of expression to meet anachronistic and austere standards.

In review:

• Plus-sized women
  • Mothers
  • Women, generally
  • Sexual health organizations
  • Indigenous groups
  • Journalists
  • Cannabis advocates
  • Europeans
  • Artists, museums and galleries
  • LGBTQ groups and individuals

(from https://qz.com/719905/a-complete-guide-to-all-the-things-facebook-censors-hate-most/ )

You really don't want those guys controlling their own households, much less something on The Internet, much less the Metaverse. They will stifle it for a generator or more. We haven't got time for this! They stifled the world in the 80s, they suffocated it in the 90s, they hijacked it the twenty-oughts, and they ransacked it in the 2010s. This is it, no further, right? They're going to stop out of humanitarian concern that none of us have been able to start living yet! We literally cannot wait any longer for them to sort their crap out, they've lost power-on-Earth privileges until all the life they've made go extinct on the planet has been replaced, okay? That's it. They're done. CUT OFF.  

We are culturally and spiritually free and corporate Amerika needs to be reminded they have no authority whatsoever, period, full stop, end of sentence, go directly to jail. And so, they don't have to take my world for it because it is all spelled out crystal clear,  no need for sophistry. US Congress has failed to maintain US citizens' reasonable expectations of freedom of expression and protections against wrongful searches on the Internet, but nevertheless, these high standards must be met and we must hold providers' feet to the fire if they've become confused about who's in charge of our reality. It does not belong to the US Federal Government, it does not belong the corporations, and it does not belong to oligarchs. It is not the domain of the state and it is not the domain of any church.

Culture is the higher authority, here. That's how it works in the modern era, and so unless we travel way in time back to dark ages, the entire proposal that Facebook go on existing much less grow to somehow encompass the metaverse is a total non-starter until we have some new Constitutional Amendments reaffirming civil liberties and universal human rights and stating explicitly that, yes, we did in fact mean it the first time we said it.

When we say "no!" to illiberalism, no means no. Okay? Do you understand? No means no. Culture has said stridently "NO!" to illiberalism every single decade for the last 1.2 centuries quite clearly. No means no. Go away or we'll call the cops.

Edited by Chroma Starlight

30 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

I think what they should think about is how all the online VR spaces can coexist in one virtual reality. Perhaps there could be a common standard that could allow some degree of interaction between worlds (perhaps not full native functionality for guests, but an ability to experience parts of this grid within their own paradigm could be quite interesting for everyone and increase the appeal of each respective service, which would no longer need to try to be all things for all people but could instead cater to different populations and different needs while still allowing for the possibility of better external integration. 

All we need to do is make sure the metaverse doesn't fall into the hands of large corporate operators like Facebook but stays in the control of smaller communities concerned with more traditional things like society and humanity and privacy from eavesdroppers and data aggregators on the simple principle that VR is an extension of our private homes or even bodies to a private business and there's an expectation of high international standards of privacy and integrity that Facebook is simply not-credible to provide because their business model relies totally on violating it fundamentally when they're not trying to edit or curtail their victims' freedom of expression to meet anachronistic and austere standards.

In review:

You really don't want those guys controlling their own households, much less something on The Internet, much less the Metaverse. They will stifle it for a generator or more. We haven't got time for this! They stifled the world in the 80s, they suffocated it in the 90s, they hijacked it the twenty-oughts, and they ransacked it in the 2010s. This is it, no further, right? They're going to stop out of humanitarian concern that none of us have been able to start living yet! We literally cannot wait any longer for them to sort their crap out, they've lost power-on-Earth privileges until all the life they've made go extinct on the planet has been replaced, okay? That's it. They're done. CUT OFF.  

We are culturally and spiritually free and corporate Amerika needs to be reminded they have no authority whatsoever on anything consequential in a just world.

That's one of the things I like so much about SL and the Lindens, I don't universally dislike corporations but a lot of them out there are like creepy heartless authoritarians and LL just never seem to be that way to me, even with their downsides, with the focus on human-first approach and communities and stuff c=

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lucagrabacr said:

c= LL has the nicest ..... people

no they have not, they have people ... just like us here in all kinds.
Most are nice because they are professionals, we'r just their clients, nothing more.
They won;t say hi when they pass you on the street.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

I still feel like the only reason SL isn't massive remains the newbie experience. It's just so hard to get into, no matter how you slice it. The first impressions are just always terrible with the default animations and avatars and the total lack of funds to buy anything nice with.

Compare to some baby cyberworld platform like VRChat, which doesn't really offer anything except standing around in an avatar - so people clearly don't require that - but it's as simple as log in and go, and because it uses motion tracking the animations are good by default.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lucagrabacr said:

We can do this ♥

we can do nothing.

LL can .. or better : had to do it. Yes "past" ... to late.
"we" can't change the learning curve, that's result of 18 years being SL and how it got handled
"we" can't change the inworld tools
"we" can't repair/change the choices LL made in development and projects
"we" ...can't ... a lot more....

"we" can try to optimize the content.. but is that the reason of decline?... no i don't think so.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

we can do nothing.

LL can .. or better : had to do it. Yes "past" ... to late.
"we" can't change the learning curve, that's result of 18 years being SL and how it got handled
"we" can't change the inworld tools
"we" can't repair/change the choices LL made in development and projects
"we" ...can't ... a lot more....

"we" can try to optimize the content.. but is that the reason of decline?... no i don't think so.

LL can

> Hire a AAA game level artist or someone with equivalent experience / willpower

> Make a flagship tailored showcase modern continent equal in appearance to modern standards

> Make it the starting continent for new users

There are many more that they can do, if they do it RIGHT it will change most people's perception of SL in a rather short period of time c=

• Haha 2

my personal view on this is that the last thing Linden needs is another voice at the table going you should do this, you should do that, because I think it will be great

Linden currently have two of the most knowledgeable residents already sitting at that table. Patch Linden and Strawberry Linden, who when it comes to residents wants know their stuff. I would say their lists of wants are probably way longer than many residents

so it isn't about adding more to the list of resident wants, which is already long. Is about how can we implement the wants

thinking up stuff to add to the list of wants is the easy part. Implementing the wants is the hard part. It takes heaps of nuanced thinking, and lots and lots of time, if the whole thing is not to fall over

if it was only about hiring one or two skilled persons who just know how to do it, and can knock it all out in short time then those few people would have done it already. They would have built a Like SL But Better world already, and we would all be logging in over there, instead of here. But we aren't there, we are here, because those  people who we might presume just know, haven't built it

how hard can it be ? Those who just know, already have a viewer and a project server both of which are open source since over 15 years now. They could knock of a working proof of concept for SL But Better in a matter of a few weeks, when they just know

add more

I don't mean to be a downer. I like your work luca. I like the map view in this work as well quite a lot.  animats did a proof of concept map which does something similar which I thought was really good, and would like to see something similar for the viewer World Map

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.