Planes, Trains and automobiles

Sorciaa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

and boats!

as there is really no place for vehicles here, nor could I really find one that would really fit I thought id post this here.

what are your favorite vehicles here in SL? what are they and who makes them.

I been looking at some from time to time, specially cars and there are alot.. alot of very high priced ones but very few have demos much less anywhere in world to look at them, so what do you like, what do you use what do you enjoy the most.. be however it moves, sails, wheels, tracks or wings. 🚆✈️🚗

I have made my own vehicles in the past. Some were good and some were really really bad.

For purchased vehicles, on water I have a few Trudeau boats. I enjoy the Beach Cat the most because it is small and can get around many obstacles. I have a Terra Aeronautics Terra Z which is like a flying scooter.  It's very fun to fly and it makes me think that SL would be much more interesting if all avatars were restricted to the ground unless they used a vehicle. On land I have a Psyclefox bicycle. Like Suzyst, I find a bicycle easy to control, faster than walking, but slow enough to explore the surroundings.

I also have an old AOL skateboard. I used to skate around and pick up linden dollars on their sim. Honestly, it was a really nice way to make people stay on the sim and earn some money instead of just sitting on a chair all day.

For solo cruising, I find wearables to be a superior experience as far as roads are concerned.  My favorite wearable vehicle is from {what next}, it is a scooter that includes a hud that will allow you to travel at a decent speed.  Otherwise, I really enjoy my teegle horse, which is also wearable. Regular vehicles often result in catastrophe while crossing a sim, while wearables handle it fine.  I've given up on flying in SL, due to the multitude of security orbs that will kick you on a moment's notice, and as far as boating I only have the experience of a few low cost boats.

My own experience with vehicles in SL, has been subpar, with the exception of slow moving boats.  When driving a vehicle, I will often find myself crossing a sim only to discover that  I continue to drive unguided, off the road, through buildings, and if I am lucky eventually being pulled back to the original point of the sim I crossed at a dead stop.  Typically, I just find myself sitting in place, far away from where I started, unable to move, while my vehicle has vanished somewhere.  In those scenarios I have to teleport to regain control of my avatar.

Edited by Istelathis

To me, as for preferred:

Boats/Ships - N&K Shipyards (Mercury Class Corvette, Falcon Class, Midas Class Eastindiaman), Bandit/The Mesh Shop (way too many to name), Trudeau (Francois Jacqueline)

Planes - Dani Airplanes (D-207, D-121, D-50, D-139, D-Arrow VI, D-690)

Cars/Trucks/Other - Arton Rotoru Production (Quatrelle, and my wife owns the Mudskipper) , Optmus Race (Stargate, MotoGP),  Surplus Motors (To many to name)

Wildcard - Rubber Bunny  who makes a variety of vehicles (land, sea, air) Between my wife and I, we own practically everything RB has done, and love each vehicle. She also makes great sailing huds. 

Notable mention - Cheermaster (Ultralight), Sky Maruti (several "light" vehicles), Maschinenwerk, Corp (several land/sea/air vehicle types), 

Notable but nothing owned by them: Lusch Motors

• Thanks 1

Pretty much any plane made by Shana Carpool, or Tig Spijkers. ( sp? ) I find Carpool's easy to operate, and very forgiving. 😃 Just need an F-86 or some mid century jet design,and I'll be a most happy camper. That being said, her Cessna 172 is an excellent go to for taking friends on a cruise/flight. Also, Starhelm has some really nice steampunk airships.

I am trying to think of the maker's name for this one car. It's on the tip of my tongue, and I'll probably remember it when I log inworld later. XD They used to have lots of vintage vehicles, with a decent script. Inexpensive too! Alas, said cars are discontinued now. =(

On 9/19/2021 at 2:20 AM, Vicious Hollow said:

To me, as for preferred:

Boats/Ships - N&K Shipyards (Mercury Class Corvette, Falcon Class, Midas Class Eastindiaman), Bandit/The Mesh Shop (way too many to name), Trudeau (Francois Jacqueline)

Planes - Dani Airplanes (D-207, D-121, D-50, D-139, D-Arrow VI, D-690)

Cars/Trucks/Other - Arton Rotoru Production (Quatrelle, and my wife owns the Mudskipper) , Optmus Race (Stargate, MotoGP),  Surplus Motors (To many to name)

Wildcard - Rubber Bunny  who makes a variety of vehicles (land, sea, air) Between my wife and I, we own practically everything RB has done, and love each vehicle. She also makes great sailing huds. 

Notable mention - Cheermaster (Ultralight), Sky Maruti (several "light" vehicles), Maschinenwerk, Corp (several land/sea/air vehicle types), 

Notable but nothing owned by them: Lusch Motors

I used to like Bandit a lot, until I discovered that they're actually falsely advertised as modify.

I've switched over to Shippe & Saille and those boats have been a lot more fun to work on.

4 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I used to like Bandit a lot, until I discovered that they're actually falsely advertised as modify.

My Bandit 55 is modify (and I mean properly modify, with the SL Edit window, not with appliers). First thing I did when I got it was paint it red.

2 hours ago, Maitimo said:

My Bandit 55 is modify (and I mean properly modify, with the SL Edit window, not with appliers). First thing I did when I got it was paint it red.

Well, yes. The mesh is modify. But they're scripted to crap out if you replace or remove any links. 

So they're only truly modify if you're willing to re-script them. 

Which now that I think of it, I might do that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Well, yes. The mesh is modify. But they're scripted to crap out if you replace or remove any links. 

So they're only truly modify if you're willing to re-script them. 

Which now that I think of it, I might do that.

this is what I end up doing now and again.  Get mod vehicles, pull them apart and use the parts, meshes, animations, etc to make another vehicle that I like better. Sometimes including parts from other vehicles as well

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

But they're scripted to crap out if you replace or remove any links.

To be perfectly fair, making scripts not "crap out" when links are changed is a PITA. it's not at all hard, but typing out the name of each individual part of an object your script needs to interact with 3 or 4 times is obnoxious. (give the link a name/description; global variable for the link number; if("name"==linkname)gVar=linknumber...)

6 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

To be perfectly fair, making scripts not "crap out" when links are changed is a PITA. it's not at all hard, but typing out the name of each individual part of an object your script needs to interact with 3 or 4 times is obnoxious. (give the link a name/description; global variable for the link number; if("name"==linkname)gVar=linknumber...)

You can do a little for loop to check link names. No need to type them out repeatedly. 

The other creator I mentioned does it on script reset. On many of my scripts, I even run the loop when the command is called, so you can change links without even needing to reset the script.

I spend most of my time in SL travelling round in various vehicles, and once you get the hang of it and learn some of the little tricks to make it easier, you suddenly start building a fairly large range of vehicles in your inventory (at least that's what's happened to me, 140+ at last count).

For sailing, like most I use Bandit boats, though my personal favorite is the Peachcraft Dolphin Moth which is a lot of fun and very fast.

Motorboats, I have several brands, Bandit / TMS once again as they have the biggest range, Ultramesh and Shippe & Saille also make some nice boats, but my personal favorites are Rubber Bunny's Marlin Catamaran , Piaggio Little Bee, and Sinplicity Libelle - all very high quality and nice to use.

For aircraft, i fly various planes from Dani, Amok, Java, Cheermaster, THI, S&W brands. Between those brands almost every taste is catered for.

With Helicopters I have a mix of S&W, Amok, & Shergood. The Shergood helos especially are a challenge to fly and a lot more complex than others, but they are packed with realistic features and are now extremely popular.

I also really enjoy amphibious vehicles, either hovercrafts, or road vehicles that can cross rivers etc. Rubber Bunny's Halob hovercraft is still (in my opinion) the single best vehicle in SL - such great value and high quality packed into a cheap product, but the Ultramesh Huner LCAC and Piaggio Honey Badger hovercrafts are also highly recommended.

For road based amphibs, the Arton Rotoru Mudskipper (already mentioned by someone else) is a fantastic 6-wheel drive car/buggy thing - goes anywhere, can climb almost vertically, even up the steepest mountains in Sansara snowlands. The Rubber Bunny Stolly, another 6-wheeler (military truck this time) is also a real fun amphib.

For the roads, it took me years before I really started to enjoy driving - too many "track" scripted cars that work terribly on mainland roads made me think that in SL, cars that worked like real cars didn't exist. Thankfully I discovered the Lusch / GEMC brands, which make doing normal driving round the mainland roads an absolute pleasure. They make a range of cars and trucks, both modern and classic, so there's usually something in their range to suit all tastes. They are usually packed with features and built in options too. I now spend far more time driving than I do flying or sailing thanks to discovering these brands.

Sumi and Manji also make some nice and quirky road vehicles, which aren't quite as realistic as the above mentioned brands but still fun to drive and also very reliable with region crossings.

When looking at buying a vehicle, the best advice i can give is to try demos and see for yourself how much you like it. No matter how much others (including myself) might recommend a certain product, only you can decide what's best for yourself. What's awesome to one person might be junk to another etc etc.  Most of the brands I've mentioned above DO have demos for you to try yourself.

Region crossings can still be an issue in SL (though in general they are better than what they were years ago), but you can make things easier by keeping your script count down on your avi (wear as few huds as possible - certainly your mesh body & head huds should be detached), enable property lines on your mini-map (if your viewer supports this), and also enable it from your world menu. This will let you see parcel/region lines on the ground and on your mini-map, potentially helping you in avoid trouble spots or picking safer routes to travel :)

Love Astrel Tek, Aeon Dynamics, THI to name a few for military and I love GMEC and Zamani and such for civie rides. Mainly I operate military vehicles and my yacht is something like this Cyclone class coastal patrol ship (or CPS in short) pictured. The only thing I don't like about it is how they caved into the people bitching about military vehicles in non-military sims with the gun covers and here I'm thinking: "So what? Doesn't mean we can't use them there - there's no written rule by Linden Lab themselves or whoever that we can't and besides that military vehicles travel all around the globe in non-military areas as it is. Water's water - any ship can travel where it wants". At times I get harassed over it but it is what it is.Snapshot_030.thumb.png.dbeeb3d3b83bcfdbd53c5f6f7e435f7a.png

And here's another I like such as this AH-64 Apache attack helicopter. A legend in the field. Feared by most insurgents. Just the mere presence, sound or mention of one sends them running.

Snapshot_025.thumb.png.14ac653d145c070cb88d9fe34f2c913d.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.