Firestorm Won't Load/Retain Preferences

Bloodsong Termagant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i have two previous versions of firestorm on my E: drive, from my old machine.  i had 'firestorm 3' installed on win10 to a network drive.  (yeah, that didn't work.)  now the hard drives are installed in the machine, and are local.  i went to uninstall 'firestorm 3' but the control panel said it didn't exist.

so i installed firestorm AGAIN, to E:\SL\Firestorm 3   this is a new download, version: 6.4.21 (64531)

ran firestorm, didn't log in, went to preferences, backup & restore, pointed at my backups and hit restore.  

didn't work.  remembered i read somewhere, you need to log in first, and do a restore, then you can restore while logged out?  

logged in and pointed to backups, restored preferences.  THIS time i got a message that said 'restore is complete!'  huzzah!

and yet... i started firestorm again, it DID NOT load/save my preferences, they're all back at default, it DID NOT remember where the backups were...  WHY?  what did i do?  what didn't i do?

and is this the right place for firestorm help?  the 'real' forums don't have a 'viewers' section.

thanks, guys!

3 answers to this question

I can say that having two versions of FS installed on your machine hasn't worked well for me in the past -- even with the second one was "supposed" to be stand alone and not cause any problems with the other.  So I suspect that is your problem.  And while asking questions in the inworld group is a good idea, I haven't received any viable answers there for any of "my" issues  -- so it just depends what the problem is. 

Pretty sure that the advice would be to do a CLEAN INSTALL.  Making sure that there are no FS files left except your backup file which you could put in a separate folder or the place where you keep those sort of things.  Then install the new FS, log in and try to restore your settings.    And it could be that having so many versions has really messed things up (you aren't supposed to do that :D) and that you will just have to manually set your preferences again.  It is NOT the newest FS as it did an even better job of restoring this time than it has in the past.   

AND if you want to import any skies or water into EEP you should keep those in a NEW place also (more on that on the Firestorm blog).  

Edited by Chic Aeon
grammar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.