Will This Work For SL?

WereBeast Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, xxVi3perxx said:

Sorry but I'm curious I bought a laptop with AMD Stuff Will it work for SL?

AMD Athlon II P360 - Comparable to an Intel i3 CPU, Integrated AMD Graphics GPU

Was using MacBook Pro 2015 and its not working anymore on a lot of stuff 

Well, since you already bought it, try it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, xxVi3perxx said:

No. You bought a laptop from 11 years ago and expect it to run SL? It has integrated graphics which is a huge no-no. You literally downgraded your laptop. 

edit: don’t try it, try and get your money back.

Edited by Chris Nova
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris Nova said:

No. You bought a laptop from 11 years ago and expect it to run SL? It has integrated graphics which is a huge no-no. You literally downgraded your laptop. 

edit: don’t try it, try and get your money back.

I don't know much about graphics or anything computer anyways I will try it out its a Thinkpad that I could only afford at right now also can't afford to fix my MacBook its not working right with a button and I don't got funds to go fix it through Mac company. 

If a button on the keyboard is no working then would it not be better to purchase an external keyboard?

The system requirements are here - https://secondlife.com/system-requirements

From the small amount of details you posted (no ideication or RAM amount) I'd say that if SL works then do not attempt to move the camera, turn all settings to minimum and it must just cope.

Edited by AydenKent

14 minutes ago, AydenKent said:

If a button on the keyboard is no working then would it not be better to purchase an external keyboard?

From the small amount of details you posted (no ideication or RAM amount) I'd say that if SL works then do not attempt to move the camera, turn all settings to minimum and it must just cope.

don't try to follow those requirements..  . windows 8.1 is from  2013... that was last attention that page got from LL.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, xxVi3perxx said:

https://www.nerdsandscoundrels.com/best-laptop-for-second-life/ (2021)

https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2013/04/second-life-on-the-lenovo-thinkpad-tablet-2.html (2013)

That Athlon II P360 CPU is a more than 10 years compontent, which was already bare entry level material upon release.

Now, at the end of 2021, you expect it to be able to run both the taxing CPU and GPU tasks of SL?

9 hours ago, xxVi3perxx said:

its a Thinkpad

Solid writing machines. Horrible gaming idea.  

Let me put it like this: Does your toaster cook you a 3 courses French cuisine dinner?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AydenKent said:

I don't have a way to use one for a MacBook Pro apple told me that a repair is needed I don't have the funds to repair it.

2 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

That Athlon II P360 CPU is a more than 10 years compontent, which was already bare entry level material upon release.

Now, at the end of 2021, you expect it to be able to run both the taxing CPU and GPU tasks of SL?

Solid writing machines. Horrible gaming idea.  

Let me put it like this: Does your toaster cook you a 3 courses French cuisine dinner?

Oh well its just until I can get my desktop back up like I said before I am not Tech savvy. 

I used to have the set up you have until a couple of years ago it used to be good. The AMD Athlon II is capable of running SL, depending on which integrated graphics you have you'll probably find SL unsatisfactory with texture rezzing. If you have 4gb or less of ram you will have to keep active programs to a minimum. overall in 2021 you wont be happy with the SL experience 

55 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I used to have the set up you have until a couple of years ago it used to be good. The AMD Athlon II is capable of running SL, depending on which integrated graphics you have you'll probably find SL unsatisfactory with texture rezzing. If you have 4gb or less of ram you will have to keep active programs to a minimum. overall in 2021 you wont be happy with the SL experience 

its only for until I can buy what is for my main computer graphics chip is unsupportable since AMD is not supporting it for vital updates I am starting back to work soon so finding a solution for a 2-4 months is all I can do. I don't do much on SL for visiting sims I mostly stick to my low lag sim I pay for month to month. It has 4 GB of Ram but most laptops don't do much anyways with desktops it works for SL.

1 hour ago, xxVi3perxx said:

its only for until I can buy what is for my main computer graphics chip is unsupportable since AMD is not supporting it for vital updates I am starting back to work soon so finding a solution for a 2-4 months is all I can do.

Just use the last updates that are available. They should work. Assuming it’s not like a Radeon HD2600 or something even older. If the MacBook will turn on, you can use most any USB keyboard by plugging it into the USB port.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Just use the last updates that are available. They should work. Assuming it’s not like a Radeon HD2600 or something even older. If the MacBook will turn on, you can use most any USB keyboard by plugging it into the USB port.

its AMD 7000 chip and its not working right for its board that chip is on sorry my typing is off I don't got $$$ for a usb board thingy.

On 9/17/2021 at 3:03 AM, xxVi3perxx said:

Integrated [...] Graphics GPU

Important lesson for all you computer-less kids out there: If you ever stumble upon this phrase, 'integrated graphics', when choosing a new rig to play SL on, don't.

However, if money's the problem, then any computer is fine (with this rule of thumb for reputable sellers: the more money you can afford to throw at it, the finer), as long as you keep the SL graphics settings really low.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

So how about the ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DT-BQ051T? It has good reviews from what I can see. (In stores my country)

• AMD Ryzen™ R5-3550H prosessor
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
  • 8 GB RAM og 512 GB M.2 SSD

That looks pretty good .. I'd make a point of ordering an extra 8gb ram and upgrading that yourself the moment you get it. 8 is fine, 16 is night and day better, especially if you plan on running SL and a browser at the same time.

Minimal tooling required (fine screwdriver and a guitar pick) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPJ4tGS6FHE

Very similar to my (non techie) kids laptop and he managed to do it by himself.

My only comment against this model is it's entry level gaming, a little extra money can get you a substantially better system. Eg $880 for this (+$40 for ram), vs $1050 for a laptop with a RTX 3050 and the extra 8gb ram and a fatter processor (https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Display-Processor-GeForce-82JW0012US/dp/B08YKG5K7F/ref=psdc_13896615011_t1_B07VBK4SYS)

When shopping nvidia, split the GFX card model number into 2 parts - eg 1650 .. 16 is the series, 50 is where it places in that range (about the middle) .. a 2050 is quite a bit better, a 3050 is night and day. A card ending in 60 is noticeably better than a 50 in the same series. Suffixes like "Ti" tend to mean almost as good as the next card up .. so 1650 ti isn't far off a base 1660 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.