Misleading Profiles

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I read profiles a lot, they are the best substitute for the (possible incorrect) reactions you have when you see/hear a person in RL, you can make some rapid assessments of them by what you see and hear. Similarly, what they put about themselves on their profiles gives you that same ability to make a quick assessment, Granted it might be wrong, but it's better to have something than nothing. An empty profile is similar to seeing somebody in a coma in RL, you cannot make any judgement about them.

• Like 2

I am an avid profile reader because, then, I sometimes discover cool places to visit, stores to shop at, which otherwise, I would not know about.

The photos and the groups sections can give this information.

Also, the groups section can be amazingly informative. I have learnt about groups doing things I would never have imagined was possible!

Someone IMs me, I perv their profile, and it a blank coma patient (thank you for that @Profaitchikenz Haiku), I tend to just let it die since it's usually a "hi" and nothing more.

Oh I lovvvvve the "touch/hurt X and I'll come for you" ones... Like what exxxxxxaaaaactly are they going to do? Make mean emotes? I better get out the big girl panties then.... 

Also fond of the "I'm kind caring and loving" one then you see like 20 hardcore bdsm groups... Yes, I know that bdsm in REAL LIFE can be kind and caring, etc. EVERY experience I've had involving SL bdsm has just been some super insecure neck beard trying to exert power over a woman. 

I will read your profile notes and judge you.

I will read your groups and judge you.

If your groups are hidden I will judge you.

If you show any quotes I will judge you.

If you show a partner I will perv their profile and apply my judgements to them also.

Picks. If you have no picks I will judge you. 

If you have some picks I will judge you.

If you have any interesting to me, groups or pics I may harvest this information for my own benefit.

It only takes seconds to complete my analysis.

Maybe I should put this in my profile.😛

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

If you show a partner I will perv their profile and apply my judgements to them also.

If you have any interesting to me, groups or pics I may harvest this information for my own benefit.

Do it and use this image. 😂

1520180172266?e=1635379200&v=beta&t=Q1m6

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I dont care if you judge me, Sam-I-Am.

I dont care if you judge me, as I am.

My notes and quotes are there to see, 

They aren't there for you, but for me.

My groups aren't hidden, except for one.

I hid that one, just for fun.

I have no partner, but all the picks.

I haven't found the right one yet, some think I'm too sick. 

Judge me or not, that is your choice.

Just do me a favor, dont silence my voice.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47evmwyknbg80w0nkx3m

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

after reading this thread, i find it interesting to see how people view profiles in SL. 

i'm a huge profile stalker because it is an invitation to see how a certain person treats their SL experience.

i've seen some really interesting profiles where they are super in-depth and very descriptive, then there are some that have nothing on them. there is no in-between it seems like. 

with my profile in SL, i constantly edit my profile because i like to keep up-to-date on my information that i like posting and when my interests vary in SL at a certain time. also, i can never choose an aesthetic or theme for my profile since i am THAT person.
i wonder if anyone does the same, honestly.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Iggy UwU said:

after reading this thread, i find it interesting to see how people view profiles in SL. 

i'm a huge profile stalker because it is an invitation to see how a certain person treats their SL experience.

i've seen some really interesting profiles where they are super in-depth and very descriptive, then there are some that have nothing on them. there is no in-between it seems like. 

with my profile in SL, i constantly edit my profile because i like to keep up-to-date on my information that i like posting and when my interests vary in SL at a certain time. also, i can never choose an aesthetic or theme for my profile since i am THAT person.

I change my profile as circumstances, interests, or picks change. I also add snapshots to my feed...occasionally. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 4:02 PM, Sid Nagy said:

I basically only read profiles when I inspect things and want more info about the creator, like where I can find their stuff.

Yup.  That's me too. The only other time I look at a person's profile is when I get a message from a total stranger and have to decide whether it's worth responding.

I haven't changed my own profile in ages, but it's still up to date. It says the things I would want any curious stranger to know.

On 9/22/2021 at 11:30 PM, Iggy UwU said:

Iam kinda "In between" it Seems. I have a bit of Stuff there to make it Seems full, because people react weird If you dont. Like "You are an alt/fake/creep for Sure, eat probably newborn Babies and have Something to hide!". But it is not really up to Date, I Touch it maybe once a year. Some People have tons of "wise words", Lot of RL information, all of their Friends, enemies, lovers, exlovers, working places, places they like, places they hate, and Profile/Partner/Name/.... changes every week. Maybe I am just lazy or take it less serious? Idk. 

Edited by CoraxCorv
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 7:22 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

Whenever I see a profile that says "I'm outgoing, kind, generous, brave, trustworthy" etc. -- like they're in the Boy Scout handbook -- I instantly think "They must be the opposite".

I wonder what kind of self-regard one has to have to write these complicated profiles like "I'm very shy but given the right set of circumstances I can blossom like a flower" or "I'm a shape-shifter" blah blah -- what ARE they thinking? If you put "I'm a shape-shifter" I'm going to assume that you are a retired postal clerk in Columbus, OH lol.

One of my favourite profiles recently from an artist said very simply, "I'm here for me, not you." Boy, was that perfect! Perfect! If I weren't in business, I'd use that one.

I've seen a lot of great ones really, and then so many fake ones...

I run from anyone who mentions "drama" in their profile.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TT120 said:

I love the ones that have several conditions that you have to meet in order for them to talk to you.  Those always make me laugh. 

Once I was berated by a girl for daring to talk to her without reading the conditions in her profile first. I simply asked her if she could take a step aside, as she was blocking a vendor where I was trying to purchase a product. Really?!?!

Edited by Echelon Alcott
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, TT120 said:

I love the ones that have several conditions that you have to meet in order for them to talk to you.  Those always make me laugh. 

I once got IMd by a woman who had a list like that in her profile, so I declined to answer. A minute or two later she IM'd me again to tell me I was rude for ignoring her. I then replied to say "Sorry, I have declined the Terms and Conditions of this conversation". :D

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I once got IMd by a woman who had a list like that in her profile, so I declined to answer. A minute or two later she IM'd me again to tell me I was rude for ignoring her. I then replied to say "Sorry, I have declined the Terms and Conditions of this conversation". :D

Now I'm curious, did she respond to that? :o

• Like 1

There was one time I received a random friend request from someone when I was exploring a sim and checking Marketplace for something I liked. They then IMed me to say they liked what I was wearing. I checked their profile and it said "I don't accept random friend requests." Which I guess is technically not misleading in this case......but.........

• Like 3

Just talk to folks. It can be both complicated and simple.

My profile is simple and about what I do... be nice. Been generally lucky with those who have more of a complicated profile though. If you have the stomach for it, try it. If not, just talk and as always, discover and be a bit on the back end. Your SL is your SL as always. Noone can ever top that. 

See how it turs out. At worse, there is an X there. And get rid of them. It works. Ask if problems. Local groups or here.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.