Misleading Profiles

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Yes, it's true, a lot of those are red flags!

I often wonder when people put this odd constructed meme of a dog made out of quotation marks and say "put this on your profile to show you're against cruelty to aninmals" what that's REALLY all about? It seems creepy.

Or the one that is written backwards and says If you can read this, you're smart! \0/

• Haha 2

Β  Β It's like those maths puzzles that keep popping up on social media with random pictures, like "3 hamburgers = 30, 1 hamburger and 2 cartons of chips = 20, 1 hamburger, 1 carton of chips, and 1 soda can = 17. What is chips + hamburger x soda?". We used to have similar maths puzzles in school .. When I was 7.

Β  Β If you weren't a misanthrope to begin with, the comments on those posts should do the trick.Β 

• Like 1

I've noticed two quite distinct classes of profile. One says in effect "This is who I am". The other is a little more confusing because it's saying "This is who I aspire to be". It's very easy to get jaded with the second type and do a "stop dreaming, wake up and STC", but that's overlooking the fact that SL is all about dreams and alternatives.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Whenever I see a profile that says "I'm outgoing, kind, generous, brave, trustworthy" etc. -- like they're in the Boy Scout handbook -- I instantly think "They must be the opposite".

I wonder what kind of self-regard one has to have to write these complicated profiles like "I'm very shy but given the right set of circumstances I can blossom like a flower" or "I'm a shape-shifter" blah blah -- what ARE they thinking? If you put "I'm a shape-shifter" I'm going to assume that you are a retired postal clerk in Columbus, OH lol.

One of my favourite profiles recently from an artist said very simply, "I'm here for me, not you." Boy, was that perfect! Perfect! If I weren't in business, I'd use that one.

I've seen a lot of great ones really, and then so many fake ones...

My favorite profile quote ever was 'I'm here because I'm not all there.'

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

β€œI AFK a lot…” usually these are the people that fly off the handle if you don’t immediately respond to them.

I have a lot of red flags…

Oh, I have something similar to that in my profile! It's because that in addition to switching between different applications all the time, I forget that I am logged in and do stuff like leave the house and go into town, or take a 2 hour nap, then come back to IMs from friends and customers who think I am ignoring them. Can't say I fly off the handle when people don't respond to me though, I just try another time.

• Like 2

Years ago I saw somebody whose profile said, "If I've unfriended you, it will cost L$500 to re-add you to my friends list. Next time, it will be L$1000"Β xDΒ I don't know if she was joking or not (probably was!) but it was funny either wayΒ :)

I used to have World Domination Bunneh and all sorts of quotes in mine...you would have all hated me, lol.Β 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's not that there's something wrong with "shape-shifting". It's a virtual world and you should do what you want!

It's that you feel the need to pretentiously advertise it instead of just doing it. I mean, everyone in SL is a shape-shifter, really, for having logged in, in the first place.

Basically you are right. But as someone wrote here - Sometimes people are confused when you suddenly look completely different. As if you were suddenly a completely different person. Maybe that's why some people write it on their profile.
Edited by CoraxCorv

15 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

What is this bit about how "I never read local chat". Huh? You want everyone to whisper in your ear? You can't respond when spoken to in public? I see that all too often. You can't be bothered to look at the people you're in a place with and see what they're saying?!

This is about how they are going to sexually harass women which they obviously can't do in local because everyone else will see what a douche they are.

• Like 4

A while back I had network issues for very long time which led to the viewer disconnecting me couple of times a day and I figured to warn people the people I meet and hangout so they don't think I'm being rude with - "Disclaimer: This person suffers from random disconnect disorder and undergoing intense treatments"

It led to some interesting meetings with people asking me what exactly it meant ☺️ Later when I finally fixed my network issues I left the message for when I don't want to deal with annoying peopleΒ πŸ˜„

Worst profile(and avatar) I ever saw was that of a guy who had nothing but biblical quotes and verses on his info, picks and RL info and went around the sim bumping in every girl like total creep

• Like 3

Profile red flags for me;

• "No drama" - you can bet they generate it everywhere they go.
  • "I am loyal to my fam/clan but mess with us and I will destroy you" (or any similar expression of aggression)- goes hand in hand with the above
  • "No local chat - IMs only)" - often conceals a habit of sexual harassment.
  • "I say it as I see it/always speak the truth" etc - they do not understand the concepts of good manners, respect for others or tact. This is a disclaimer for "I will behave like an ***** to everyone and I don't care".
  • RL picture in SL profile section - this is the sort of person who will demand RL info, pics and voice from you too.
  • Anything indicating a right-wing political stance, or that they are very religious.Β  - That sort of person really does not want to be friends with a person like me.

Β 

• Like 10

Β  Β I think I might have something to the effect of "I seldom pay attention to local chat" in one of my picks, but that's because I spend 95% of the time 'online' with three quarters of the viewer obscured by a browser, and a fair amount of time with the entire viewer obscured by a video game, film, or another viewer for an alt 'cause I went shopping or do a shoot.

Β  Β Also because local chat, at least at clubs, tend to be a bunch of gesturbation and illiterate dullards who either goes on about how they can't wait for the weekend when they can finally 'do stuff', or that they're so happy that it is the weekend so that they can do the same damned dance in the same damned club at the same damned time of day as they do any other damned day of the week.Β 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Β  Β I think I might have something to the effect of "I seldom pay attention to local chat" in one of my picks, but that's because I spend 95% of the time 'online' with three quarters of the viewer obscured by a browser, and a fair amount of time with the entire viewer obscured by a video game, film, or another viewer for an alt 'cause I went shopping or do a shoot.

Β  Β Also because local chat, at least at clubs, tend to be a bunch of gesturbation and illiterate dullards who either goes on about how they can't wait for the weekend when they can finally 'do stuff', or that they're so happy that it is the weekend so that they can do the same damned dance in the same damned club at the same damned time of day as they do any other damned day of the week.Β 

Well, why go to clubs then, if the chat is so stupid? Indeed it is, which is why I never go to clubs.

I'm also wondering why you stay logged on to SL if you are doing all these other things like playing a video game or watching a film.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Well, why go to clubs then, if the chat is so stupid? Indeed it is, which is why I never go to clubs.

Β  Β Background music. Because friends want me to go. Because friends are DJing. To look around. To profile peep and see if there are any interesting people about to chat with.

7 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I'm also wondering why you stay logged on to SL if you are doing all these other things like playing a video game or watching a film.

Β  Β It's a bit like asking why someone would go on an aeroplane after they complained the film that was being shown wasn't worthwhile to watch.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CoraxCorv said:

Basically you are right. But as someone wrote here - Sometimes people are confused when you suddenly look completely different. As if you were suddenly a completely different person. Maybe that's why some people write it on their profile.

Yeah .... no. That one is not "right" whatsoever whereΒ anyΒ of this is concerned and itΒ showsΒ with each and every single response. This is not the first time they've made similar "observations" either.

YouΒ areΒ correct however - itΒ is a bit of forewarning that what you see one day may not be what you see the next time.

The one that cracks me up the most is when you are at an adult club/nookie spot and are approached by someone with "BLAH is my soulmate, i am totally theirs and will never cheat on them." As they ask you for some poseball action. I actually sent a snapshot of the two of us in a very interesting position to their partner. He was less than pleased.Β 

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

So if those who can read backwards are smart does that mean that those of us who can read backwards and upside down are geniuses? 🀭

Β 

Yes, I can.

Means the smartest people just read normally and don't waste time trying to interpret what pretentious idiots put on their profiles in an attempt to look less sad than they are. ;)

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, suzyst said:

Means the smartest people just read normally and don't waste time trying to interpret what pretentious idiots put on their profiles in an attempt to look less sad than they are. ;)

You might not want to stay in my head for very long. It can get a bit awkward in there.Β πŸ˜„

On 9/18/2021 at 12:19 PM, Orwar said:

That's okay, you're not paying attention to IMs either in that case. 😁 It's the ones where they pay rather a lot of attention and insist on speaking in IMs only, where I've seen the pattern.

• Like 3

On 9/18/2021 at 12:00 PM, Maitimo said:

Profile red flags for me;

• "I am loyal to my fam/clan but mess with us and I will destroy you" (or any similar expression of aggression)- goes hand in hand with the above

Β 

Β 

Oh yeah. It's one of those things that always makes me laugh.

"This is my sister Sparkling Sundance Flutterpoop. Hurt her and you will be in a world of pain .... UwU" I'm a ninja ghoul Sayajin, love cuddling and you better not make me angry or I destroy your life with my powers >///< Ans this is my Brother Pancakes Sushismell Rainbow, touch me and he and his SL Pack will come for you!!!!11!!!1!11!"

Β 

If someone wants to harm me, I'll block them. What are they supposed to do? Spam me with alts? Put lies on the internet? No one cares xD .Most of them live on other continents, I'm from Europe xDΒ Grow up people, most of us are adults and no 14 years olds without an RL that might commit suicide about someone talking ***** on SL. This stuff is just ridiculous.Β 

These guys play absolutely no part in other peoples RL, as soon as you turn off the PC or play something else πŸ¦„

Β 

Edited by CoraxCorv
  • Like 3

I don't know why but I don't usually read profiles. Some are very boring, some are full of hate, some are just a lie. I put 2 quotes on mine just to have something there. Also the things I enjoy at the moment. I'm surprised my friends are checking regularly my profile. I tried actually to read, and after talking to some people and finding they are totally opposite of the things they wrote it's disappointing. If someone talks to me I let things happen and then if I'm interested I check out their profile.Β 

Edited by HelenaNavy92
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, HelenaNavy92 said:

I don't know why but I don't usually read profiles. Some are very boring, some are full of hate, some are just a lie. I put 2 quotes on mine just to have something there. Also the things I enjoy at the moment. I'm surprised my friends are checking regularly my profile. I tried actually to read, and after talking to some people and finding they are totally opposite of the things they wrote it's disappointing. If someone talks to me I let things happen and then if I'm interested I check out their profile.Β 

I read profiles all the time! When I get bored or need a break from working on stuff, I go to busy places just to read profiles and look at people's avatars, it's a bit of a hobby. I always check out people's profiles when I talk to them and if they have a blank one they get a scolding from me (what am I going to read!)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.