Am I allowed to use the image of my avatar

Pammiejean

14 minutes ago, Pammiejean said:

I am being told by the devs of the other game, that it is not allowed.

Well, it's on them to make up the rules for their own platform; so if they say you can't, then that's their business. 

19 minutes ago, Pammiejean said:

But they are saying it's because the avatar is the property of Second Life.

Technically it could be but it doesn't really matter. They can say you can't use it just because they don't like it since it's their platform.

Thank you for the information, Everyone.  I've sent the information to them. I think they are concerned about copyright, since a lot of people are using images from Deviant and other platforms.   They have said they will look into it for me.  I really appreciate all the quick responses!

11 hours ago, Pammiejean said:

But they are saying it's because the avatar is the property of Second Life.

I don't know how it is in other countries, but I have a hard time imagining it. Your avatar is your own creation on a sandbox platform made available by LL, built from items that third parties have sold to you. It is not a specific figure that is subject to hard copyright, such as a company mascot, Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny as an example.

6 hours ago, CoraxCorv said:

I don't know how it is in other countries, but I have a hard time imagining it.

It's not an issue of national law, but one of the user of Second Life adhering to LL's ToS, specifically the one Fritigern shared:

18 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I don't see how any national law would somehow supersede it - it'd have to be a law regarding the ownership of screenshots/video from video games. Some publishers have tried to DMCA YouTubers for showing gameplay of their games (especially when it was a negative review), but that's relatively easy to overturn with the whole 'fair use' thing. Likewise, some publishers have declared that any creations within the game are the property of the publisher (*cough*Blizzard*cough*) - which also kind of is true of Second Life (i.e. if you upload something to the grid, LL reserve the right to use it themselves - but in practice I don't know if this has ever occurred, as it would be against their interest of having people uploading their creations), see: https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/second-life-terms-and-conditions (1.1-1.6).