I block spammers and report them, they still get their (also blocked) bot text into my chat box

Madison Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When you block an object (or person), it/they should not be able to get its crap into your chat box, and it should be banned to find a way around a block like that.

A pair of merchants share a bot that spams me by inserting text into my chat box however it is done; and it's more feeling angry that they can do that when blocked than the actual content, which can be ignored.  But I get angry that they can do it because  I don't want to get their ads, have blocked the object and its owners, and they still get their ads for items into my chat box.

I've used the abuse form, and LL seems not to do much, though I do come on and see messages "X has been added to the block list" so perhaps they are trying to help me keep the spam out.

But they still get their ads into my chat box, and really, finding tricks to communicate in any way around a block should be a bannable offense.

If I want to hear from a merchant, I'll join their group and read their notices, and I do.  Getting ads into someone's chat box unsolicited, or any other way around a block, should be banned and/or made impossible.

• Like 2

When chat comes to you like that in local chat, it is being sent by an object, often a subscriber whether or not you have added yourself to it. You can block an object but it blocks only that instance of the object. If the object get's re-rezzed then it gets a new ID, and that then too needs blocking, and so on. Blocking the owner of an object should prevent those coming through but may also prevent you from being able to buy from that store owner again as items would not be able to be delivered to you.  It's also very possible that some places will use different avatars rezzing out the same subscriber with the same avatar list in it which is sending out the chats which is why they keep coming through. Remember once you blocked an avatar, don't send any IM's to them as that cancels the block.

the "X has been added" message, may not be LL adding these avatars to your block list, but could just be repeat notifications you haven't cleared from your list and they can keep showing until you clear them.

The current method to prevent this sucks, but with some patience and persistence it does work eventually.

I am aware that my "I have this problem as well" won't add much to the discussion, but sadly blocking the person itself (or people) is the only solution right now... until they create alts and start to spam from there. My own block list does have around 30 people and majority of them are merchants that blissfully ignore my queries about removing me from their "subscription lists".

Maybe inventing a "list of blocked words" viewer-side, that would prevent IM from popping up if it would contain something from the list, could be a solution... but since "merchants" can also alternate wording it's an arms race in which end users are doomed to fail.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HunniHope said:

When chat comes to you like that in local chat, it is being sent by an object, often a subscriber whether or not you have added yourself to it. You can block an object but it blocks only that instance of the object. If the object get's re-rezzed then it gets a new ID, and that then too needs blocking, and so on. Blocking the owner of an object should prevent those coming through but may also prevent you from being able to buy from that store owner again as items would not be able to be delivered to you.  It's also very possible that some places will use different avatars rezzing out the same subscriber with the same avatar list in it which is sending out the chats which is why they keep coming through. Remember once you blocked an avatar, don't send any IM's to them as that cancels the block.

Oh, I've blocked them, but even while blocked they get through.  Blocking the object's owner should block any object they own, or at least that should be an option.

There's no issue about being unable to buy from those merchants after blocking them.  Spam me, I won't buy from you, simple as that.

LL needs to make using objects to spam people even while blocked a major TOS violation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Madison Heartsong said:

Oh, I've blocked them, but even while blocked they get through.

If using Firestorm, check that you don't have the 'view muted text' button selected. It looks like this:

7cd2a2576c70a1fa98a24ba26ebdade3.png

I recall having this discussion with someone a year or so back. They insisted that there should be another way to prevent text being seen from blocked/muted objects and avatars, because - despite being told that there was a fix for most of these issues right there in that button - they were adamant that they actually wanted to see muted text.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It is known that a certain group of "business" people is readding people without their consent again and again and again to their subscriber lists, for their events and some of the participating stores. I have been ARing them forever. Nothing happened yet, sadly. Each time, I have to look for the object again which spams the unsolicited adverts.

Let's see how often that kind (and similar) spam has been mentioned lately: 

Edited by Yukiko Yeshto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/16/2021 at 3:25 PM, bobsknief Orsini said:

The best way to get rid of them is to kindly ask them to remove you. Don't get me wrong, unsolicited spam is totally not okay and i believe those that are doing it are getting the opposite affect of what they attempt to achieve with it.

It absolutely has the opposite effect.  Spam me with an ad and there's no way I'll follow your link to your MP or to be tp'd or anything.  Plus, I remember the name of the stores that spam me a lot.  Once I was browsing mp and found something I was about to buy, and then saw the vendor was a merchant who had spammed me, so I didn't buy it.

I wish they'd realize they lose more business than they gain from spamming like that.

I also have received unsolicited objects from spammers a couple of times that the interface asked to add to my inventory, and I refused them, hitting to block the sender, and then found it was one of the spammers when it said who I'd blocked.  I think part of what allows them to do the spamming is getting something in my inventory.  I bought from LL having a first and last name on my account (Madison.Heartsong), and everything else in the game refers to me as that since I did that.  The spambots refer to me by the old name with Resident, so somehow I was added some time ago and it never updated. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.