Jump to content

Forum here Forum there Forum everywhere


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Why do some SL residents post to this official forum and shun others.  Conversely, why do some participate is SLO, SLU, SCII, and not post here; what is the attraction?

Do you think you will post to this forum more often now that GD is back?  

What differentiates the fora from each other?  Why do you like it here?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Wildcat Furse wrote:

GD is not back at all ... it was just a consolidation project to reduce the number of subfora,
they just had to give the cat a name
 .... :matte-motes-sick: *meows*

Why? What’s the purpose to name an animal that never attends by its name if it is not prone to, but attends by any name if it wants to? :matte-motes-big-grin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually, it is... *looks up to make sure*... yep, that's what it's called. So what if it's just because of consolidation I for one am grateful it's back. I think it might help give more of a community feel to the place, but that's yet to be seen.

@ the OP in answer to your questions: I can only speak for myself, this was the first forum I've ever participated in and even with all it's faults, it still feels like home to me (well, as much as a forum can feel like a home). I've posted in other forums and still will if I feel the need or have the time. Different forums have different feels to them depending on the participants and level of moderation.

I do wish we had a bit more leeway as to what and how we can discuss things here. I think that's driven a lot of people to other, less heavily moderated places. (I personally think we should be able to argue about something without being shut down or redacted just based on the tone of the conversation. We can't even have a "spirited" discussion anymore. Seems like "almost" violations and "could become" flaming is enough to get a thread closed down now-a-days.)

But then some unofficial forums (which I won't mention but were on your list) could use some stricter moderation and not as much blatant favoritism. Otherwise I might spend more time there, since you can actually have a discussion... that is until the regular crowd starts dropping f-bombs on people with whom they disagree.

It's too soon to tell how having the GD back will effect my participation and I certainly wouldn't speculate about anyone else's. But having it back has got to be an improvement over what we had before.

...Dres

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The moderation may appear heavy on this forum, but to me the other fora seem to be about ego and on-going flame wars.  We did a blog post today about an incident on SLU--I don't think anyone cares for animadversion responses laced with invectives.  Many people left GD for SLU because of the nastiness that was perceived on GD.  I think it exists on other fora more than in GD.  I also think the moderation here has gotten a lot better in past weeks.

TC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Different people have always have different concerns about attitudes, moderation, style etc of forums, be they official ones or third-party ones.

I've occassionally (and somewhat foolishly) allowed myself to get into heated debates about why one forum might or might not be better than another. These days though, I'm happy just making my choice of where I want to post and letting others do the same, just as I am with things viewer choice or even virtual world choice.

I'm so past "my [insert preferred product or service here] is better than your [insert less preferred product or service here]" arguments.

Live and let live!

:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Link to comment
Share on other sites


theconfidant wrote:

The moderation may appear heavy on this forum, but to me the other fora seem to be about ego and on-going flame wars.  We did a blog post today about an incident on SLU--I don't think anyone cares for animadversion responses laced with invectives.  Many people left GD for SLU because of the nastiness that was perceived on GD.  I think it exists on other fora more than in GD.  I also think the moderation here has gotten a lot better in past weeks.

TC

I agree that modding here has greatly improved & its nice to see the mods posting occasionally to explain certain actions they have taken & being open to us PM`ing them directly with questions or concerns.

A few people do seem to want the old "anything goes" GD forum back, but IMO, whether intentional or not, that place sometimes appeared downright hostile & I don`t miss that aspect of it at all.

Smiley - Sofa Hide.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, the old GD suffered, sadly, from perma-forum personalities. Alas, some of the them are still here..!!..*groans*....instead of being in SL, but hey ho.

 At least some of the tiresome forumites left to form their own clique within cliques elsewhere, although I still see one here who was forced to change her indentity after getting a damm good spank off LL for being rather silly and naughty.....*chuckles*

This new look forum, however, is one of the better things LL have done...*holds onto wall for support at the shock of his statement*......it is very helpful and informative.

Over-moderated? Hmmm, yes.  Very much so, unfortunately.  Still, there is always a down-side, I suppose.   That said, the return of GD, and a few - gasp :matte-motes-agape:- critical posts of LL, even....*holds onto wall some more*....suggest the forum is healthy and valid. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Sigren Panthar wrote:

Yes, the old GD suffered, sadly, from perma-forum personalities. Alas, some of the them are still here..!!..*groans*....instead of being in SL, but hey ho.

 At least some of the tiresome forumites left to form their own clique within cliques elsewhere, although I still see one here who was forced to change her indentity after getting a damm good spank off LL for being rather silly and naughty.....*chuckles*

This new look forum, however, is one of the better things LL have done...*holds onto wall for support at the shock of his statement*......it is very helpful and informative.

Over-moderated? Hmmm, yes.  Very much so, unfortunately.  Still, there is always a down-side, I suppose.   That said, the return of GD, and a few - gasp :matte-motes-agape:- critical posts of LL, even....*holds onto wall some more*....suggest the forum is healthy and valid. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

 

*hands you a glass of water!   Breathe!!  hahha :smileyvery-happy:

Link to comment
Share on other sites


theconfidant wrote:

Why do some SL residents post to this official forum and shun others.  Conversely, why do some participate is SLO, SLU, SCII, and not post here; what is the attraction?

Do you think you will post to this forum more often now that GD is back?  

What differentiates the fora from each other?  Why do you like it here?

What are SLO, SLU, SCII?

When I first started coming to the forums I actually didnt know there was anywhere else other than General Discussion.  :matte-motes-smile:









 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

those are forums run by people other than LL.

 

I am here and not at any of those, because for a large part those forums are dominated by rampant drama (not all parts of them but still), I also stay here, because it fulfills the basic need I have for it, namely content creation and what news trickles out. I try to make sure those basics remain as functional as possible, what little I can do as a resident and just one person.

 

I am greatly disappointed by the current cramming together of largely unrelated focuses in content creation, even though my personal "home" forum of scripting escaped unscathed from that (although it's still damaged by formatting changes). Like others I think it shows a lack of insight (or common sense) into what those forums are about, both topically and technically. And the utter Irony of the current poll that shows creation to be the leader in forumites favorite things to do is certainly not lost on me, but apparently seems to have escaped LL's attention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Suella Ember wrote:

Live and let live!

:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

I bet you don't feel that way about Port Vale.

 

ps: I so love Google; I can find out stuff about things of which I know nothing, almost effortlessly. I of course knew you were a Stokie because you posted about that. I'd never heard of them before. Now I have youtubes of Delilah. One of the things I like best about SL is the global mix.

pps: I had to wear red hair for a bit in a thread I've been working on and I had an insane desire for cheese the whole time (but fortunately I was clever enough to carry on).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


theconfidant wrote:

The moderation may appear heavy on this forum, but to me the other fora seem to be about ego and on-going flame wars.  We did a blog post today about an incident on SLU--I don't think anyone cares for animadversion responses laced with invectives.  Many people left GD for SLU because of the nastiness that was perceived on GD.  I think it exists on other fora more than in GD.  I also think the moderation here has gotten a lot better in past weeks.

TC

I agree, I do think the moderation has improved... I still like to complain every now and then. Especially when I finally felt I wanted to say something and the thread gets locked... oh well, I'm over it. See how easy that was... lol.

Though, I suppose it's better to have a thread locked early on rather than let it deteriorate into a fist fight only to have it removed completely. And I do appreciate having an explanation posted as to why.

The SLU incident of which you speak is a prime example of why I choose not to post there very often, even though I like following some of the discussions that take place. The nastiness that sometimes ensues there makes me appreciate this forum all the more.

...Dres *wonders now what TT stands for*

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:


Suella Ember wrote:

Live and let live!

:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

I bet you don't feel that way about Port Vale.

 

There is an exception to every rule. In this case, Port Vale are that exception! :matte-motes-evil-grin:

(although they are doing a grand job of self destructing at the moment anyway. Plus we don't really care about them anymore as we are in the dizzy heights of the Premier League and Europe while they languish down in League 2 :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:)


Dillon Levenque wrote:

ps: I so love Google; I can find out stuff about things of which I know nothing, almost effortlessly. I of course knew you were a Stokie because you posted about that. I'd never heard of them before. Now I have youtubes of Delilah. One of the things I like best about SL is the global mix.


Well, now you do know about them I insist you adopt them as your preferred English football team! :matte-motes-big-grin-wink: If you've seen a vid of the Stoke fans singing Delilah at either the FA Cup semi final or final, i'll be in there singing too! 


Dillon Levenque wrote:

pps: I had to wear red hair for a bit in a thread I've been working on and I had an insane desire for cheese the whole time (but fortunately I was clever enough to carry on).

 

Once you go red, you'll never go back. You know that right?! (Also, you'll never be able to look at cheese again without diving on it and wolfing it down!)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Suella Ember wrote:

(although they are doing a grand job of self destructing at the moment anyway. Plus
we don't really care about them anymore
as we are in the dizzy heights of the Premier League and Europe while they languish down in League 2 :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:)
 


Yes, all the Potter fan comments I read made that point, usually followed by "but we hate them anyway" or words to that effect. Agreed; they are now my favorite English F.C. I guess if I have to have an English football team it may as well be the oldest one, right? Just don't depend on me to know what's happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:

Yes, all the Potter fan comments I read made that point, usually followed by "but we hate them anyway" or words to that effect. Agreed; they are now my favorite English F.C. I guess if I have to have an English football team
it may as well be the oldest one, right
? Just don't depend on me to know what's happening.

You really have been doing your research haven't you?! :matte-motes-big-grin:

Sadly, we are also the only founder member of the football league to never have won the FA Cup :(

Still - final this year. We'll win it next year!

Anyway - we'd better stop derailing this discussion now (although, frankly, talking about the mighty rip roaring potters is far more important than aything else! :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...