Deploy Plan for the Week of 2021-09-13

Mazidox Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server

No roll for Second Life Server this week.

Second Life RCs

We're deploying version 2021-08-27.563375 to all RCs this week after a successful configuration change with version 2021-08-27.563385 last week.

On Rolling Restarts

We are not planning any rolling restarts for Second Life Server regions this week.

• Thanks 4

I was able to see the effects on log-ins of the roll-out, using the data at https://api.secondlife.com/datafeeds/homepage.txt (the last four lines are what matter). I use a shell script. I may work out one that gives me a graph, but running my desk-top 24/7 to get the data doesn't look worth it. Since I don't use Mac or Windows, I could set up a Raspberry Pi to collect the data, but I have bigger things to worry about.

The page currently shows three types of data, "signups" (not updated for a year now), "exchange_rate" (updated every 15 minutes),. and "inworld" apparently a live figure). Timestanps are provided in SL time and standard Unix (count of seconds since 00:00:00 UTC on 1 January 1970).

I don't know if the problem with the old 10-day-uptime trigger for restarts has been fixed, but I frequent a region that has had problems in the past, and there's nothing yet apparent, despite the last restart being in August. Try not to surprise us, some of us are already snug in our beds when the news is released.

The release notes page for the RC server is missing:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>V3536Y6VV3TTPEP1</RequestId>
<HostId>ZMSq1zpADnS9k59CP12ByneuInAk8B/mFGFYbM9IokBFgR/x6H9OVm4l9sMrnFvUcAWmY27uMiQ=</HostId>
</Error>

@Mazidox LindenSince Rolling Restarts for Main Server have been scheduled for Tuesday next, is there any chance that the release notes to whatever is being rolled there (I am presuming it will be that which you pushed to the RCs this past Wednesday) will be operational? 

Henri pointed out the failure of the page on Thursday and yet no corrective action has been taken.

Edited by Aishagain

• Lindens

https://releasenotes.secondlife.io/simulator/2021-08-27.563375.html is now live. I had it just about done yesterday but there were merge conflicts that required input from colleagues during business hours. (n.b. 563385 is an older "restart only" version that had no changes, so you won't find the release notes for that version anywhere.)

Edited by Mazidox Linden
Caffeine should work faster
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mazidox Linden said:

Badlist Bot came back to life and decided to restart everything, just to be safe. We caught it before it got more than about 5% of the grid restarted, and it's currently sitting in a small dark hole while we wait for an engineer to take another crack at not making it go berserk.

I'd laugh at that, Mazidox, were it not for the implications of that.  It seems to show quite vividly that the present generation of Lindens really do not comprehend the behemoth that is SL.

PS I am very glad that you DID catch it though!

Edited by Aishagain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.