Shadows vs Brightness

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not sure just where to put this but I'll start here.

I just got a new PC with an NVIDIA RTX 3060 TI card. I figured it would be enough for me to move my PERFORMANCE (I'm using Firefox) past HIGH so I could get shadows. However, when I do, everything becomes, for lack of a better term, brighter. The SL viewer does the same thing. I've attached a couple files for each setting (high, high-ultra and ultra).

Would fiddling with the settings help? If so, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Egon

Preference at HIGH.png

Preference at HIGH_001.png

Preference at HIGH-ULTRA.png

Preference at HIGH-ULTRA_001.png

Preference at ULTRA.png

Preference at ULTRA_001.png

Edited by Egon Rothschild

Looks like there is a stupid bright light source on your boat. See if you can find the one that causes your boat to light up like a lighthouse.

Note that it could even be a facelight. Some heads come with a built-in facelight which is enabled by default so make sure that YOU are not that light source.

To find the light source(s) that cause this washed out effect, you can use Show Light Radius For Selection (works only when you select an item, like your boat)

image.png.7622a9d97a793b0da6973d789bbde15b.png

or use "show beacons" and put a check on "Bounding boxes for lights in scene"
image.png.5ff2493324a1535363936b1e94593a9c.png

Pretty soon you will find out what the culprit is.

14 hours ago, Egon Rothschild said:

I figured it would be enough for me to move my PERFORMANCE (I'm using Firefox) past HIGH so I could get shadows.

Just a side note for clarification about enabling shadows.
We can enable shadows (and all the shaders) even when the "Quality and speed" slider is between "Low and Mid".
There is actually no need to move that slider to the far right past "High".

And yes, as others have said already, it seems that there is very strong local light - or even many local lights are - on your boat. The strong local lights will look blindingly bright when setting "Advanced Lighting Model" is on (this setting is needed to be able to turn shadows on). Very strong local point lights will wash all shadows off. And point lights don't even cast shadows. Only Sun/Moon and projected lights will cast shadows.

30b96b990d04c4161036c203f6250de1.png

Thanks Fritigern, Coby and especially Jackson.

I nosed around here (https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/preferences_display_tab) and played with the settings. 

1) I had no idea shadows could be enabled at any preference setting.

2) I eventually just kept all my settings at ULTRA but turned LOCAL LIGHTS off. BINGO. Shadows and brightness reduced to acceptable levels. You can especially see that on the upper deck.

Again, thanks to all of you <3

Egon

Preference at ULTRA.png

Preference at ULTRA_001.png

Edited by Egon Rothschild

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.