Unable to delete scripts from my clothing and other attachments

SookiCatalina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I know the basics of deleting scripts from clothing by going into the item's Edit menu, going to the Contents, and deleting the scripts. But some of my items won't allow this: a message pops up saying "Not permitted to edit this." Does that mean I'm stuck with those scripts, or is there some work-around or tool I can use to delete them? These are the typical scripts you would find such as resize scripts and texture change scripts. 

A secondary question: do I need to even worry about these scripts and whether or not they are causing lag? Other than my animation override, I have 5 scripts attached to my avatar with a total size of 848kb. Is that a lot or a little? A couple of them seem to activate as soon as I log in, meaning I see a message in chat every time I log in, like "[08:14] CoAl69~Lennon SunGlasses: Touch for resize and stretch menu." Does that mean the script is running in the background the entire time I'm logged in?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and advice.

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Auburn Atheria said:

I know the basics of deleting scripts from clothing by going into the item's Edit menu, going to the Contents, and deleting the scripts. But some of my items won't allow this: a message pops up saying "Not permitted to edit this." Does that mean I'm stuck with those scripts, or is there some work-around or tool I can use to delete them? These are the typical scripts you would find such as resize scripts and texture change scripts. 

A secondary question: do I need to even worry about these scripts and whether or not they are causing lag? Other than my animation override, I have 5 scripts attached to my avatar with a total size of 848kb. Is that a lot or a little? A couple of them seem to activate as soon as I log in, meaning I see a message in chat every time I log in, like "[08:14] CoAl69~Lennon SunGlasses: Touch for resize and stretch menu." Does that mean the script is running in the background the entire time I'm logged in?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and advice.

Have you tried Disabling Scripts in the build menu when you edit the item?  I've done this on a few things when I don't want to or can't remove the scripts.

9 hours ago, Auburn Atheria said:

First things first: The "size" of a script is just the maximum capacity that script could take. It doesn't mean the script is actively using that much. There's no way to measure the actual usage as an outside observer.

By default, a script's maximum capacity is 64 KB. This can be lowered (but not increased), though people don't bother doing that 99% of the time. The total size of 848 KB suggests that there are more than 5 scripts on you, too.

And yes, all scripts in all of your attachments will "activate" as soon as you log in, and stay active until you log out, detach them, or disable them (which generally isn't possible if they're no-modify).

That said, here's a good way to think about it: "Does this script do something useful for me? Am I going to be resizing this object regularly?" If the answer is no, you should remove it (after making a copy). All scripts -- even those that are doing literally nothing -- take up resources on the sim you're in. It's not catastrophic, especially in your situation, but having 100+ scripts is quite awful.

The worst part about scripts happens when you move from one sim to the next, whether that's teleporting or by crossing a sim border. When that happens, both sims need to do a lot of work to transfer your scripts from one to the other, which causes the sim you're arriving at to lag (in every aspect) very noticeably to everyone. The more scripts you have, the worse it gets, so having few scripts on your avatar makes your teleports faster!

Personally I aim to stick below 30-40 scripts, but that can be challenging depending on what you're wearing, like most mesh bodies/heads and their clothing alphas. That's why I make an effort to only buy anything from creators who still let you have modify permissions, rather than wearing an ankle bracelet with four HUD scripts in it.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

Good info, thanks @Wulfie Reanimator. Yes, you're right. My "Avatar Health" listed 5 scripted objects attached to me, but each of those objects had multiple scripts inside of it. Your explanation gave me a lightbulb moment as to why I used to have lots of items end up in my inventory's "Lost and Found" every time I teleported. That doesn't happen anymore now that I have a more robust computer and I've stripped out all the scripts I can from my avi attachments.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.