Firestorm on Network Drive Problems

Bloodsong Termagant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

heyas!

i have my win7 computer linked to my new win10 computer via ethernet crossover cable, and i have the win7 drives mapped as network drives to their old letters (D = D, E = E, etc).

i'm having a devil of a time getting firestorm to run from the network drive.  currently, it will run, and i can log in, but when i tell it to restore my preferences, it does NOT (even though it says it does).  it just quits and when i restart... no, preferences not saved.  when i restart, it's the default everything, and when i go to backup/restore, it doesn't even remember the directory i set for the backups.

does anybody run it from a network drive?  am i the last person on earth who even uses ethernet like this?  :/

TL;DR-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when i installed it, the installer would not recognize the network drives as being under "this PC" but only on the network.  subsequently, it assigned the shortcut to be \\OLDCOMPUTERNAME\e\Firestorm\(etc), rather than E:\Firestorm\(etc).

when i changed the shortcut/startup directory to plain E:, it didn't work.  when i changed it back to the network address, it started up.  it even recognized that E was a drive under "this PC," where the backups were.  but... ::sigh::  either way, no joy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 answers to this question

i installed it from the win10 machine (to a new firestorm installation on the network drive).  the appdata folder is there on the win10.  i would THINK it did the registry stuff as well, since it runs (just double clicking the old exe... well, you know.).   now the setting permissions and stuff, i dunno about.  unless it's confused between the \\OLDCOMP\e\ and the E:\

eventually, i'm going to move everything.  maybe sooner rather than later :/   i haven't done it yet, because reasons.

thanks for the input!  (on a tangental note... do you have a preference between internal sata hdds, and external hdd bays, either esata or usb3?)

You could probably get it to work with liberal use of stuff like NTFS Reparse Points (Junctions), but performance over network drives tends to be atrocious.  (Unless you happen to talk about stuff like very low latency 40 GB/s Mellanox cards and good SANs). So just not worth it.

If you still have spinning rust (aka HDDs), just get any SSD. Always better.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.