Your worst SL job!

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

If you're someone with an RL job, why would you get one in SL?

Get some fun hobbies. Chances are, if you get enough of them, you'll be able to make a little L$ from at least one.

It can be fun :) You sometimes get to meet different people and explore more of SL, and working in clubs can be great if you're into music. So it's more or less a hobby!

Also, the money can be handy if you're not paying into SL with RL money...before mesh, 500L in tips could get you a decent skin or outfits if you shopped around. One of my favourite non-host jobs was helping somebody decorate their clothing store, which was a good way of earning and sometimes getting freebie clothes too 😎

I don't think I'd have enjoyed office role play though xD

• Like 2

I liked my job as a store model/customer assistant. Had no idea about all the drama going on among the staff until our (very generous) employer sent out a satisfaction survey to us in response to many staff complaints. All the grievances were stupid, but my favourite was the one about the model who was always on the top floor but never interacted. She was a registered and legal bot, the owner had told us that, she had "bot" in her name and it was stated in her profile.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Haha 7

I worked as a dancer. Not like a stripper, like a dancer in one of those...I don't know what to call it...Dance Teams. You know the team of dancers that are in a club line dancing? I was one of them. 

So it started out fine, the lady had a group and used to invite me to dance on her HUD. Why not? Eventually, she invited me to join and it was fun, so I did. They wore the same outfits and she would get them for us, which was cool, but the outfits were super ugly, but hey, free right? After a couple weeks she started complaining to me that the girls weren't showing up, so I asked her, "You have a group, why don't you make notices that "Hey we're at Club Aquaboogie on 09/22/21 7p SLT, we're wearing blue if you can make it come on out." She never did it, just kept complaining. Then she started demanding we practice. Like....how hard is it to accept an invite on a dance HUD or stand on that little spot that moves you around?

That didn't go over too well, eventually all the girls left.

I still see her dancing at clubs...by herself.

I don't know why it is that people become in charge of something and go crazy.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

I don't know why it is that people become in charge of something and go crazy.

Hmm…I’ve seen this too! I think that some people have an ideal vision of how everything should go, but then get frustrated when it doesn’t go exactly as they imagined…so they try to force it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't have a worst :)

In terms of SL "jobs" - as in something that involves a RL time-sink and that you can potentially make money from - I have worked as a performer and as security manager for a club. I'm still a performer, the club's on hiatus but will be back.

As a performer, I've had some bad gigs though. The places that just dont promo their live artists, the ones that rave at your audition audio and say "yeah we want you on our stage" then drop you the NC a week later saying "you dont fit here, we're cancelling your sets"

But for the most part I've been lucky, I guess, playing at places where the hosts are a joy to work with, the bosses appreciative that I treat their venue with the same professionalism as I would one IRL.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, victoravatar said:

Having to wait a week for an interview and when i log in at the right time and i am ready to go they don't IM back

I know that feeling 😕 The time it happened to me was annoying as it was actually a SL job I'd really have liked to tried...

On the positive side...if they're like that for an interview, and can't be bothered to IM you and cancel, working for them would probably be a pain anyway, so you saved yourself trouble later on 🙂

My worst job in SL is also my only job in SL and it was actually really enjoyable.  I had a hobby that turned into a weekly column in one of the Second Life publications that was around in 2008 called The Avastar, an offshoot from German newspaper Bild. It was a fabulous publication, containing some fun stuff like fashions and an agony aunt column, and then more serious things, but I took it all very tongue-in-cheek because I was so newbie and everything was fun to me. I got paid enough each week by the editor to pay rent and furnish a nice house on a PG mainland sim. Still the happiest times I ever remember having in Second Life. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

My worst job in SL is also my only job in SL and it was actually really enjoyable.  I had a hobby that turned into a weekly column in one of the Second Life publications that was around in 2008 called The Avastar, an offshoot from German newspaper Bild. It was a fabulous publication, containing some fun stuff like fashions and an agony aunt column, and then more serious things, but I took it all very tongue-in-cheek because I was so newbie and everything was fun to me. I got paid enough each week by the editor to pay rent and furnish a nice house on a PG mainland sim. Still the happiest times I ever remember having in Second Life. 

That sounds pretty great though! 😎 Hmm...maybe there should be a Best SL Job Thread...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

i was a personal assistant to a club owner for a couple of months. I had to work 1-2 hours per day, it ended up they went up to 3-5. So i quitted. This was the worst part.

She was my best friend at that time, so i asked her after a while to have again the job. She agreed but in exchange i ended up in being a naked personal assistant and a slave for her family! This time was more fun since i am a slave at heart ... lol

Edited by Liv Simondsen
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.