Is there a market for polyglots?

This is more of a question than a I'm looking for a job thing

Since I speak four languages and I have some spare time thanks to the pandemy, it occurred to me that I could help people in SL learn a new language. It wouldn't be for free, of course, taking into consideration learning a language takes years of practice, money, time, etc.

So I rather ask first than waste my time later: would it be profitable? I don't mean I want to be rich (I'm well aware SL is not as popular as it used to be when I was a teenager) but I couldn't charge less than 600$ linden per hour. Otherwise, I might as well teach in RL, which I truly dislike (those 2.5 dollars are not even minimum wage)

I've considered immersing myself in creating clothes and whatnot, but I have zero to no experience and it would translate into not being profitable in the near future

To make a story short, I'm one of those homos sapiens that can't stay put and need to learn/create something new every single day of their life. I love SL for its social advantages, but I want to get something for my personal benefit too. On the long term, if I'm not getting anything from being in SL, I know I'll abandon it again. Fun it's not enough for me in any aspect of my life, I'm more of an intellectual (boring I know ūüėÜ)

What's your input?

• Like 1

I guess it would be as profitable as you make it.  Of course there has to be an audience that would be interested in learning a new language and can afford the price you are asking. Profit means something different to everyone. It could mean 3 students a week or 25 every other day. I would have to say that this sounds like it would take time to build up a clientele and for you to get referrals. The one thing you have going is that you'll need very little to get started. Some land and perhaps a classroom but that can all be done on a budget. 

• Like 1

There's a long history of Second Life being used for educational purposes, however such things tend usually to be offered for free (or for tips only). If it's true that you only want to spend time doing something worthwhile that you're good at, and you're not bothered about being rich, then the best option for you would be to set up some classes, advertise widely, especially in newbie areas and community areas appropriate to the languages you will be teaching, and use a tipjar for donations. 

It's unlikely that you'll get any customers at all if you charge rates much higher than "tip-level" (say L$100 to L$200 per person per hour) but if you get enough students, that can still add up to a decent amount per week.

You'll need land of course, but you won't need much (a 1024 size parcel would suffice). If you get yourself involved with an established educational organisation, they might even let you use their space for free.

Another option for a person speaking multiple languages is customer support for land barons, helping people with rentals and land sales in their own language instead of them having to struggle with English. A job like that would probably pay more than teaching.

• Like 6

Another possibility would be translation/proofreading. Many fairly major merchants don't speak English as a first language and it makes some of their communication and advertising look sloppy - they may be willing to pay to look more professional.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Another possibility would be translation/proofreading. Many fairly major merchants don't speak English as a first language and it makes some of their communication and advertising look sloppy - they may be willing to pay to look more professional.

I've often thought about offering to write stuff for MP. Some are unintelligible. I understand it's the language, but someone could take the text and rewrite it so it could be understood, then return it to them and the builder could post it in the revised form.

• Like 2

Rather than hoping for long term clients right at the start- maybe think more boutique experience with an ‚Äúevening in another land‚ÄĚ sort of thing. Have a space you can decorate in a traditional theme from that region, maybe provide virtual snacks- even provide the menu in advance for the adventurous- something simple someone might make at home in rl too? ¬†Kind of like the sip & sketch painting parties. ¬†Prepare some short intro or interesting points about the language & then spend 1/3 of the hour teaching a few phrases- presenting your teaching style? ¬†Maybe that could garner interest for return- enrolling students and I would think would be a fun night for attendees.

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 2