I have a question about some lag in the viewers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 83 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am getting lag on multiple viewers (Such as Firestorm, Black Dragon and Alchemy), which I have messed with the settings multiple times.

My Specs are

• AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • Ryzen 7 1700
  • 16 GB DDR4 3200MHz
  • Motherboard is a Asrock X370 Taichi

But due to living in South Africa, I get an average ping of about 330ms. I am wondering if the Lag is not due to my hardware, but due to living so far away that my Ping is so high.

1 hour ago, Linkachu4 said:

I am getting lag on multiple viewers (Such as Firestorm, Black Dragon and Alchemy), which I have messed with the settings multiple times.

My Specs are

• AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • Ryzen 7 1700
  • 16 GB DDR4 3200MHz
  • Motherboard is a Asrock X370 Taichi

But due to living in South Africa, I get an average ping of about 330ms. I am wondering if the Lag is not due to my hardware, but due to living so far away that my Ping is so high.

Your specs as they concern SL are on the viewer under Help/About from the top menu.  Copy to clipboard and post those stats.

Here you go

Firestorm 6.4.21 (64531) Jul 21 2021 21:00:53 (64bit / SSE2) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support
Release Notes

You are at 82.1, 57.6, 26.1 in Paw Pad Valley located at simhost-0f4e8ed90809dbc17.agni
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Paw%20Pad%20Valley/82/58/26
(global coordinates 131,666.0, 305,978.0, 26.1)
Second Life Server 2021-08-27.563385
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor           (3600.34 MHz)
Memory: 16316 MB
Concurrency: 16
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19043.1165)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Graphics Card Memory: 8176 MB

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 27.20.22025.1006
OpenGL Version: 4.6.14742 Compatibility Profile Context 21.8.2 27.20.22025.1006

RestrainedLove API: RLV v3.4.3 / RLVa v2.4.1.64531
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.40.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v8.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.01.09
Dullahan: 1.8.0.202011211324
  CEF: 81.3.10+gb223419+chromium-81.0.4044.138
  Chromium: 81.0.4044.138
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.10.0000.32327

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Dark)
Window size: 2560x1377 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 32 m
Bandwidth: 1500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High (5/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 512 MB (1)
Disk cache: Max size 1792.0 MB (17.9% used)
Built with MSVC version 1916
Packets Lost: 0/1,733 (0.0%)
September 05 2021 06:54:27 SLT

33 minutes ago, Linkachu4 said:

It does get worse, I usually have it at 120, but sometimes have to drop it to 32, when I am in a neighbourhood sim

Edit Note: Even when there is barely any people

I keep my draw distance low unless I'm taking pictures.  You can see an entire region at 128.  I rarely need that.  Draw distance is usually the first thing suggested to reduce lag.  Even if you're inside a structure, your computer will be rendering anything within that distance.  

Draw distance is a computer graphics term, defined as the distance in a 3 dimensional scene that is still drawn by the rendering engine. Polygons that lie behind the draw distance won't be drawn to the screen.

As the draw distance increases more polygons need to be drawn onto the screen which requires more computing power. This means the graphic quality and realism of the scene will increase as draw distance increases, but the overall performance (frames per second) will decrease.

4 hours ago, Linkachu4 said:

I am getting lag on multiple viewers

Describe your lag.  Lag is a rather non-specific term, like Doctor I have pain.

The statistics window is often useful in figuring out lag, if we knew what you considered to be lag.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Describe your lag.  Lag is a rather non-specific term, like Doctor I have pain.

The statistics window is often useful in figuring out lag, if we knew what you considered to be lag.

It depends on the sim, the one where I have my home in, if I have my draw distance to 120 and have shadows on, and I get about 10 fps. Without shadows, I get between 15 - 23 FPS depending on where I look. There might be something in the sim that is hogging the texture memory, since when I look in that direction with the lower frame rate, textures take longer to load. And after looking at the Statistics Window, there is not much giving obvious clues to what could be causing it.

32 minutes ago, Linkachu4 said:

It depends on the sim, the one where I have my home in, if I have my draw distance to 120 and have shadows on, and I get about 10 fps. Without shadows, I get between 15 - 23 FPS depending on where I look. There might be something in the sim that is hogging the texture memory, since when I look in that direction with the lower frame rate, textures take longer to load. And after looking at the Statistics Window, there is not much giving obvious clues to what could be causing it.

And if you turn your draw distance down to 56 or so at home, what is your FPS?

4 minutes ago, Linkachu4 said:

With Shadows, 17-18

Without Shadows, 29-35

As your ping is so high, you'll probably have to tweak those graphics settings as those will have the greatest impact on lag.  At home, with draw distance at 48, I get about 50-60 fps.  If I turn it up to 120, it's like walking through mud at around 20 fps.  Water opacity is another new option with the latest Firestorm viewer.  You can now run opaque water and still have ALM enabled.  Transparent water also seems to lower your fps.  There are many things you can try to work around your distance from the SL servers.

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

As your ping is so high, you'll probably have to tweak those graphics settings as those will have the greatest impact on lag.  At home, with draw distance at 48, I get about 50-60 fps.  If I turn it up to 120, it's like walking through mud at around 20 fps.  Water opacity is another new option with the latest Firestorm viewer.  You can now run opaque water and still have ALM enabled.  Transparent water also seems to lower your fps.  There are many things you can try to work around your distance from the SL servers.

Where did they add the Transparent Water option, since the one in the General settings also disables ALM.

Just now, Rowan Amore said:
  • Added new water transparency performance options
    Preferences → Graphics → General → Water Reflections → None (opaque), None (transparent)

Alright, thank you, now I am wondering if I should leave the bandwidth to 1500, even though I have 50Mbps up and down fibre

Just now, Jackson Redstar said:

I don't know if you know this but when you sign up for Second Life, they give you a 5 years supply of Lag, totally free of charge!😆

Oh boy, and I am basically on my 4th year XD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Linkachu4 said:

I am wondering if it might be due to my ping, but can't fix that unless I somehow decide to live in the US.

That ping is UDP latency in Statistics and might affect how fast your avatar responds to a keyboard command.  I don't think it has any direct effect on your FPS, nor would a little latency affect your texture loading.  So it takes 2/3 of a second for a keyboard movement command to show on your screen.  Not a FPS issue, and would only bother shoot em up gamers competing with each other.

Bandwidth in statistics is UDP bandwidth.   1500 is fine.  It does not affect your actual bandwidth for TCP speeds.

I would set your Texture memory to 2048 MB in Minimum Viewer Texture Memory Buffer.  Leave the other sliders at 10%.  This is in  Preference/Graphics/Hardware Settings and Enable Dynamic Texture Memory checked.  Your FPS changing with DD and direction is normal - depends on what objects you are looking at. Some mesh  uses more GPU and CPU, which can slow down your FPS.  With my old NVidia card doesn't like some particles or fog.  A misty waterfall with fog can bring it to it's knees.  I just turn down particles to 1024 or off in that case.

What is your FPS on a clear region, or an empty sky platform high in the sky?

Also both Shadows especially shadows, and Advanced Lighting Model can really affect your FPS.  I usually turn both off when I am wandering about the grid.  If I had both on at home with my heavily landscaped region, my FPS would take about a 50% hit or more.

I think you are expecting too much from your video card.  25 fps is fine for most movement.  Gamers with $4000 video cards and the latest water cooled hardware can run at 160 fps if they like.  That's about 4 times what my eyes can detect.

In Pref/Graphics/Rendering, I also limit my Framerate to 40 FPS.  Anything faster is a waste of energy to me.  I can get 120 FPS on my sky platform, which only means my GPU fan is louder, and my power bill is higher.  

BTW, I've seen no difference in fps or video performance when I upgraded from the non-EEP 6.3.9 Firestorm to the latest 6.4.21.  Maybe it is faster with ALM enabled if anything.  I want my water to look like the old water, so I used the Default setting for water EEP.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 83 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.