Symth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi folks,

Trying to edit a pair of shoes (which didn't work) another unintended consequence of my messing around is now that my avatar is now not standing on the ground, whole avatar seems to be a foot or so above it.

Just wondering any way to correct this, many thanks for any help.

floating above the ground is generally called "hover height". in Kokua there's a easy to use bar to adjust it in the upper-left. In Firestorm it's in quick setings which is in the lower right (IIRC). Not sure where it is in the standard viewer if at all. You can also change hover height by editing your shape. (not recommended in most cases)

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Symth said:

Hi folks,

Trying to edit a pair of shoes (which didn't work) another unintended consequence of my messing around is now that my avatar is now not standing on the ground, whole avatar seems to be a foot or so above it.

Just wondering any way to correct this, many thanks for any help.

If you take off everything so you're sitting there on a 1999 era system avatar and then go walk on some old basic flat land you will find you actually hover over it.

This idea of a bit of hover is baked into the game's design - and if you go into some other 3D games from MMOs like Guild Wars / FFXIV to single player games like Skyrim most of them have the same issue.

It's to make it easier to avoid sinking into the floor on altitude adjustments.

But in something 'slower paced' like SL where we often just stand around posing for screenshots it becomes a lot more glaringly obvious.

You can either give yourself a slight negative hover, or in things like homes and skyboxes, rez an invisible prim under the floor and make the "visible floor" phantom...

The second solution there is a lot more 'crazy' because it only fixes that one floor, but for some reason that's what I do in my own mainland parcel... ;)

There are three places where you can change the "Hover Height".

First is in the appearance editor. Right-click the avatar and select Edit Shape. On the Body tab scroll to the bottom. This is the least used option. I think it is mostly for use with non-human avatars. For humans set this at 50, which is zero up or down. This is also a very course adjustment making it impossible to make small adjustments.

Second is to right-click the avatar and select Hover Height. An adjustment control will open with a slider and numeric input. This is a handy on the fly quick adjustment. I often leave this adjustment on screen. If everything else is as it theoretically should be this setting should be 0.00. Go positive to raise the avatar and negative to lower it. This also affects your sit height, which is why I find it handy to have on-screen..

Third is the system item: Shoe Base. Most shoe makers provide a Shoe Base so that you don't have to make one for their shoes. The ideal solution is to set Hover Height (second option) to zero then edit the Shoe Base to get things looking right. Then all you have to do is wear this and the shoes to get a proper look. No other adjustments should be needed.

However, there are a lot of factors that go into figuring out where the avatar is in-world and having it walk on a surface. So it is common to have to tweak the Hover Height. But once you have everything as right as it can be the adjustments should all be within -0.20 to +0.20.

Be aware that mesh floors, bridges, rocks, mountains, and other stuff are often exceptions and create large displacements.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
missed a step

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.