Keyword SPAM... gets worser than ever before...

Alwin Alcott

Just looking for Catwa shapes for male... the half, or more, of all new listings are for Lelutka full of keyword spam ... absurd.

Add a filter as here at the forums, so when a listing has Lelutka( or any other brand) in the name or description, automaticly every keyword with other non related brands gets erased or won't list at all.
It's  in this time of development a insult to your users to keep a site as MP running en let that in hands of the users to report/flag.
Suggestion :  give your customers a L$ 50 bonus for every succesfull search with one keyword session on your MP without having to use a bulldozer to find it.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Greetings!

The Marketplace uses Boolean search. 

Go to the Male Avatar Shapes category. 

In the Keyword Search Field enter: Catwa NOT Lelutka

Listings that have Catwa will be shown, with listings that also have Lelutka not shown. 

• Thanks 1

This happens a lot and the feature is there, there needs to be some sort of way to filter keywords with just clicking. Like if you search for "Catwa shapes", something like a "did you mean" suggestion shows up, except it shows the most popular keywords related to your search and gives you the option to search only for those related keywords or to exclude them just by clicking. Like, it would take the top keywords for the results on that page and list them below and let you add the "NOT lelutka" to your search just by clicking on it. It would help a lot. I know I search for clothes and sometimes I get completely unrelated female clothing and if the option was there to just make it all go away with a click it would be really cool.

I know there's a question mark tool tip you can click that tells you you can use boolean operators but no one is obviously using it since these types of posts show up often. Most people don't look at things like that. Suggesting keywords to add or remove to search would make finding what you need a lot easier on the Marketplace.

1 hour ago, Dakota Linden said:

Greetings!

The Marketplace uses Boolean search. 

Go to the Male Avatar Shapes category. 

In the Keyword Search Field enter: Catwa NOT Lelutka

Listings that have Catwa will be shown, with listings that also have Lelutka not shown. 

repair the stuff instead of unusable tools? The problem is the uploader/lister, and how MP works, don't put it on the customer plate.
Why can a zillion of webshops do this job, but sl can't?

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

We encourage all users who have suggestions for the Marketplace to attend the Web User Group 

@Dakota Linden

I have been attending the Web User Group for a long and I have lost count how many times the issue arises regarding the likes of keyword spamming and other ways that are being used for items to appear in search results that they don't belong in. Boolean search is not the answer sadly because it cuts out items which ARE relevant too. As Alwin said, this is down to listers themselves, and them either being lazy, or thinking they are being clever, or just plain ignorance.  Even demo's now, it's against the guidelines to not link a demo to main listing. But, if that item is NOT linked then it still shows up in results when you tick the box to exclude demos thereby skewing search results. WebUG says to raise it up at the governance meeting, governance wont discuss individual cases and wont say much more other than to flag items. But we do keep flagging, we report them, we complain to the meetings and offer suggestions and nothing seems to be changing or being actioned.

I have flagged no end of items for keyword spam and for demos not being linked to full items and not a single one of those items has ever been actioned (i know this cos i keep coming across the same flagged listings with the same faults i flagged it for), despite them both being against the MP guidelines. There are some stores (and not new ones either) that you could sit and flag every single item for those two afore mentioned breaches alone. This has to start coming down on the store owners. And yes I too have had items delisted in the past for one reason or another, and as inconvenient it might be at the time, it sure does make you sit up and watch what you're doing.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

Greetings!

We encourage all users who have suggestions for the Marketplace to attend the Web User Group where their suggestions may be submitted directly to the team that maintains the Marketplace. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:User_Groups

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Web_User_Group

There are entire stores violating the marketplace guidelines, and to this day, all we can do is report single listings, despite numerous threads, reports, and JIRAs.

That's basically admitting that LL doesn't care about fixing these issues at all.

• Like 1

I've given up flagging MP listings for keyword spam as I have nothing show for it but hundreds of listings still showing "Already flagged" months later, still using the same keyword spam with no way to flag again.

Sometimes I wish listings publicly showed what flags are active against them with a tally each, but we all know that would be abused.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Oh well.... i also stopped flagging for a while, then started again, just to feel better. I mean, there is plenty to flag.
I can confirm that i have observed item flags sometimes not being handled. Either they are not understood, or they are skipped because the queue is too long, i guess. But i am speculating about the reason here. Of course i understand that sometimes errors might happen while reviewing an item flag.

On Gachas (i know, please don't hit me) flagging for keyword spam is rarely handled. Often a sneaky reseller puts "RARE" as keyword, and thus floods the search result for the rare with all his non-RARE stuff. Worst case i found there were around 50 items with that keyword before a customer would see the real RARE item. Of course i flagged a few for keyword spam, and they were either not reviewed or not understood. So i tried again with a few more, and same result, no handling.

So i'm writing this also only to feel better, there are plenty of threads about this were i didn't want to put time in to comment.

Edit: I want to ad that maybe some Gacha flags are not handled because the opinion is that they will be sold one day anyway. That would be wrong reasoning, i have items i sell and refill since years. Hence flagging for keyword spam would avoid having the search flooded with wrong results.

Edited by Samara Sharkfin

What these numbskulls fail to understand is that using keyword spam stops people from being able to find things in their own stores. Take the shapes, that's a great example. I find a shape store on the marketplace, search it for Catwa, and the search results come up with every single shape in the store because the seller is using keyword spam. That's a lost sale. I have given up on shopping at numerous marketplace stores because their use of keyword spam makes it impossible to search the store. One store springs to mind, a store with hundreds of items, they had a nice vintage dress, I thought I would try to find similar items there, it turned out they had used the keyword "vintage" for everything in the store no matter how inappropriate. Users can't possibly flag all that, the only consolation is in knowing that these store owners are shooting themselves in the foot. Careful use of keywords lets your customers find what they are looking for, I think half these people are just lazy, copying the same words to every listing.

• Like 4