Adding A 360 Degree Panoramic Image To YouTube

Lusus Saule

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 953 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Did you know that 360 degree panoramic images created in Second Life can be uploaded and viewed on YouTube? All you need to do is open the image in a video editing app, extend its play for a minute or two, then export it as an MP4. Now download and use Spatial Media Metadata Injector to insert the relevant metadata into the video, so YouTube will recognise it as a 360 degree movie. Upload the video to YouTube, and you're done. Expect the video to take a while to be fully processed because once its ready it will be in 4K.

The advantage of using YouTube to display 360 panoramas created in Second Life is that, unlike many online platforms its free, and the video is easy to embed on blogs or websites. Also, the panorama can be shown on this forum, whereas panoramas from elsewhere cannot.

The downside is you can't add hotspots to the video as you can when uploading to other 360 panorama websites.

If you'd like more info on 360 panoramas created in Second Life I've written a series of tutorials on my blog.  There's also some tutorials on the SL-Inspiration YouTube channel, (excuse the shameless self promotion).

Here's an example of a 360 degree panorama I uploaded to YouTube. Hit play then use your mouse to drag the image around. The video can be paused anytime, and the image still viewed in 360 degrees.

If you're curious about what difference hotspots can make, here's the same image uploaded to Momento360.

Edited by Lusus Saule
Correcting typos
  • Like 2

• Lusus Saule changed the title to Adding A 360 Degree Panoramic Image To YouTube

Works flawlessly - thanks! - I've managed to take a few pictures myself and glued them together, showing each for around two minutes. I do remember I've done something like this in the past with a Minecraft video, and I do remember using that metadata injection application, but everything there was in motion. Here, even as static images, the thingy looks interesting. ~

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 3:17 AM, Lusus Saule said:

Hit play then use your mouse to drag the image around.

i pressed play button and waited and waited for the view to start turning. Never happened. So I went hmmm! nice picture. Then I think wonder what happens if I press my mouse button on the picture. So I did and it moved and I was like wooo! thats pretty cool

then I read the manual and I was all like durrr! 😸

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 953 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.