Bugged calling card

exde

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

Im sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Last night, someone requested my calling card to put into a notecard so I’ve searched in my inventory for it and then handed it over. When they have accepted it and clicked on it, it has come up as a totally random person (not an alt or even friends with) that I have no connections with but when I click on it, it’s fine. Does anyone know why this is happening? 

Thanks in advance 

24 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

No idea why that would happen but if you're on firestorm ( no clue if it's still available on the official viewer) just right click on the person you want to give the card to and select Give Card from the pie menu.

Thanks Rowan! I’ll definitely check that out when I need to send my card again.

This was over IMs. It’s not a big deal anymore. I for some reason have multiple calling cards in my inventory and I just selected one of those and they seemed to work okay. Im just super curious as to who the random person could’ve been and why they linked to my name.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exde said:

I for some reason have multiple calling cards in my inventory and I just selected one of those and they seemed to work okay.

Those "random" calling cards are the calling cards that are created when you accept a friends request. Simply put, a calling card is a hotlink to someone else.
So it would appear you have passed the other person the calling card which points to one of the people you are or have been friends with, but it definitely did not point to you.

Calling Cards are extraordinarily simple data structures (maybe even simpler than Landmarks) but can exhibit some very odd behaviors. One thing that's unusual is that you can create a Calling Card for anybody by putting their UUID in the Description field of somebody else's Card (but that also changes the Creator field in some possibly strange way). Some Cards have a blank Description field, or it can contain other non-UUID text. For all their weirdness, a properly filled-in Calling Card can be embedded in a Notecard, so it's not as if they're completely random. Hence, they're not entirely useless but they've been significantly nerfed over the years. For example, in the past you could put them in a prim and give them out by script but I don't think it's possible to put them in an object anymore. Nonetheless, I have an old prim that contains a pair of calling cards and still seems to distribute them by script.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.