Linden Lab didn't ban gachas, they banned a mechanic of the gacha

Chris Corvinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So how this thing works is you pay whatever linden to "play" and it randomly cycles though the numbers from the top. I was trying to get #2 and as you can all see, that number isnt even on there even after a few pulls but theres two #1's, and two #3's. Its still a game of  chance and the only difference from this and a gacha, is you know what youre getting which I guess is why its allowed. Linden Lab didn't ban gachas, they banned a mechanic of the gacha so you can see what youre buying. Thats it. Its still a game of chance and luck.

768ed863fcbfc36da7f1c66909c51f55.png

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I believe LL has stated what works and what will not and people are not going to be able to skirt that.  

I know. But people are saying gacha is dead when it’s really not. LL said they killed gachas when they didn’t. It’s still a game of chance. All they literally did was ban the mechanic that didn’t allow buyers to see what they were buying. I’ve tested one and it’s still a gacha. Functions exactly like a gacha except for the obvious part that we can see what we are buying now. 

1 hour ago, Chris Nova said:

So how this thing works is you pay whatever linden to "play" and it randomly cycles though the numbers from the top. I was trying to get #2 and as you can all see, that number isnt even on there even after a few pulls but theres two #1's, and two #3's. Its still a game of  chance and the only difference from this and a gacha, is you know what youre getting which I guess is why its allowed. Linden Lab didn't ban gachas, they banned a mechanic of the gacha so you can see what youre buying. Thats it. Its still a game of chance and luck.

768ed863fcbfc36da7f1c66909c51f55.png

What is #5.  Some pictures downloaded off the web and stuck in a frame?  And how much is this?

L$59 or something like that ...

It's not a random lucky chance machine, it's a math puzzle .. how many things do I have to buy before I get the one I want, how much is that.

Or worse .. 

In it's pictured state. Every roll costs me L$59 and then L$ 649 (59 x 11), so L$708 to have a chance at the rare then purchasing it, plus an additional L$59 for each extra try it takes.

hahaha. NOPE !

Edited by Coffee Pancake
MATH HARD NUMBERS BAD
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

The Miepon aka RipOffPon also needs to go. Still too much like a capcha.

L$708 +L$59 each extra roll to get the rare .. I don't think we need worry about this catching on anytime soon.

I mean .. how much would it cost just have this in a fatpack .. or sold as the single rare item.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
MATH HARD NUMBERS BAD

Technically, gachas are still OK until Wednesday.  From the LL Blog >>> "We know that creators plan their content releases far in advance and will need to re-tool their products, so to mitigate the impact to those affected, we are giving a 30-day grace period, until midnight SLT on August 31.  After that time, selling content via gacha machines will no longer be permitted in Second Life.  Enforcement won’t start until September 1; after that date an Abuse Report for “Gaming Policy Violation” will be the preferred method of reporting this content to Linden Lab. "

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

I know. But people are saying gacha is dead when it’s really not. LL said they killed gachas when they didn’t. It’s still a game of chance. All they literally did was ban the mechanic that didn’t allow buyers to see what they were buying. I’ve tested one and it’s still a gacha. Functions exactly like a gacha except for the obvious part that we can see what we are buying now. 

It isn't a Gacha because you know what you will be buying. It isn't that LL is banning risk or gambling but just the specific manner:

19 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

L$59 or something like that ...

It's not a random lucky chance machine, it's a math puzzle .. how many things do I have to buy before I get the one I want, how much is that.

when the rare rare is not in the queue then the minimum payment to get the rare rare is L$59 * 12 = L$708.  Then add L$59 for each time the rare rare doesn't appear as the 11th item in the queue

10 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

L$708 +L$59 each extra roll to get the rare .. I don't think we need worry about this catching on anytime soon.

I mean .. how much would it cost just have this in a fatpack .. or sold as the single rare item.

That is based on the assumption that the rare is the only thing wanted. So yeah, probably not worth it for you but for those who want other parts of the set which in themselves may well be worth the 59L per, then it still could well be worth it.

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Right but I was trying to see what exactly #5 was.  It looks like 2 framed pictures.  For 59L?

this is the thing that customers are going to consider.  Is not L$59 a pull like with a traditional gacha. The conveyors are one time the pull price of the traditional gacha

traditional gacha. 1 pull and get rare. Price L$59

new method.  1 pay and get common, 1 more pay and get rare. Price L$118

it will take a while for shopkeepers to work out how to script price these new machines

there is a way to make a machine that will give the same cost to the customer as the traditional gacha machine, with all the 'random' of gacha, and be ToS compliant. Is pretty straightforward way to script this up safely. But I am not going to get into how this can be done, on this thread

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It isn't a Gacha because you know what you will be buying. It isn't that LL is banning risk or gambling but just the specific manner:

No, it’s still a gacha because it’s still a game of chance. If you’re playing for a specific item, you have to take that chance and keep playing to see if it’s going to show at the top of the number slide (and then keep playing and spending to actually get it). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

this is the thing that customers are going to consider.  Is not L$59 a pull like with a traditional gacha. The conveyors are one time the pull price of the traditional gacha

traditional gacha. 1 pull and get rare. Price L$59

new method.  1 pay and get common, 1 more pay and get rare. Price L$118

it will take a while for shopkeepers to work out how to script price these new machines

there is a way to make a machine that will give the same cost to the customer as the traditional gacha machine, with all the 'random' of gacha, and be ToS compliant. Is pretty straightforward way to script this up safely. But I am not going to get into how this can be done, on this thread

It's still.the same price only now you'll know how much you have to potentially pump into the machine in order to even see the item you want.  Chris wanted #2 which isn't even showing on the machine.  Personally, I'd walk away right then.  I'd have to spend at least 649L IF the next item behind the last is #2.  Even more if there are more of the ones I already bought.  Who in there right mind would even bother with this?  

Instead of the excitement of possibly getting the rare after one pull, there is frustration knowing you have to put a considerable amount in to even hope to see the item you want.

Insanity.

• Like 2

Just now, Chris Nova said:

No, it’s still a gacha because it’s still a game of chance. If you’re playing for a specific item, you have to take that chance and keep playing to see if it’s going to show at the top of the number slide (and then keep playing and spending to actually get it). 

The crux of it according to Patch is the not knowing what you are going to receive for the pull. In this conveyor deal, you do know. Whether or not it is the rare, is immaterial. 

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The crux of it according to Patch is the not knowing what you are going to receive for the pull. In this conveyor deal, you do know. Whether or not it is the rare, is immaterial. 

All they did was remove a mechanic from the gacha , not the gacha itself. It’s still a gacha.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chris Nova said:

All they did was remove a mechanic from the gacha , not the gacha itself. It’s still a gacha.

No it is not but whatever. I think some are perhaps too focused on the odds of getting the rare rather than the idea that the Conveyor provides a known item for each pull. The not knowing is what defines a Gacha, which is not the case for the conveyor.

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's still.the same price only now you'll know how much you have to potentially pump into the machine in order to even see the item you want.  Chris wanted #2 which isn't even showing on the machine.  Personally, I'd walk away right then.  I'd have to spend at least 649L IF the next item behind the last is #2.  Even more if there are more of the ones I already bought.  Who in there right mind would even bother with this?  

Instead of the excitement of possibly getting the rare after one pull, there is frustration knowing you have to put a considerable amount in to even hope to see the item you want.

Insanity.

this particular machine works well for the reseller whales, who pump truckloads of L$ into the machines to get product for their stores

as you say it doesn't work well for the casual one time shopper looking to have a flutter in the hope of getting something special at a discount

i think that the biggest customers of 'gacha, now conveyor, are the resellers. And I think it is those whale reseller customers that these gacha-only creators will continue to focus on with the new machines

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

this particular machine works well for the reseller whales, who pump truckloads of L$ into the machines to get product for their stores

as you say it doesn't work well for the casual one time shopper looking to have a flutter in the hope of getting something special at a discount

i think that the biggest customers of 'gacha, now conveyor, are the resellers. And I think it is those whale reseller customers that these gacha-only creators will continue to focus on with the new machines

I'm sure this is the case.  I won't be buying from any resellers in the future.  I only have once before and see no reason to do so going forward.  There is nothing so important or 'rare' that I'd bother paying a reseller for.  Now if they could just get them to not show on the MP when you've check the Don't Show Limited quantity button.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm sure this is the case.  I won't be buying from any resellers in the future.  I only have once before and see no reason to do so going forward.  There is nothing so important or 'rare' that I'd bother paying a reseller for.  Now if they could just get them to not show on the MP when you've check the Don't Show Limited quantity button.

i don't buy no-modify or no-copy items either unless is under L$10

this said tho I don't mind these new machines, same as I neverminded gacha. Same as I nevermind other things like some deviancies or destructive behaviour inducing things, that personally put me off, even when that put off is caused by a moral position I might apply to myself

i nevermind most things in this way. When some thing is ToS compliant then I am good with this. Mostly because other people have different morals to me and is all good that they do

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.