Deploys to Main Server on the week beginning 30/8/2021?

Aishagain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LL are jesting, surely?  TheGrid status Page announces a Rolling Restart for Main Server this coming week.   Rolling what??  Following on from the debacle of this past week's roll to the RC channels there IS nothing to roll! The  new code was reverted; at least it was everywhere I go.

Or will this be a revised version of that rolled to the RC channel last week, with a "Hail Mary" expectation that the changes they will have made cure the restarting issue that many regions suffered?

What happened to QC testing via the RC channels first?

Edited by Aishagain
Thread title date wrong

• Aishagain changed the title to Deploys to Main Server on the week beginning 30/8/2021?
3 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

You are aware that a Rolling Restart does not mean they are rolling out a new server version - right?

I am aware of the commonly accepted interpretation of the term "rolling restart" .  You refer to a literal interpretation of the term.

I am also aware that LL rarely use the term to indicate a general restarting of region hosts.

10 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

I am aware of the commonly accepted interpretation of the term "rolling restart" .  You refer to a literal interpretation of the term.

I am also aware that LL rarely use the term to indicate a general restarting of region hosts.

There is no other way to interpret the term here. A Rolling Restart as it applies to Second Life is solely the rolling shut down and restarting of the Region and Simulator. If there is a new Server version to roll out (called a Deploy) that is handled at that time.

Was there a time when this was different? Yes - years ago now. It really does not matter how often a Deploy currently coincides with a Rolling Restart, they are two different terms with only a small overlap in procedure.

The only thing that requires clarification at this stage is if Linden Lab plans to go ahead with their original Deploy plans or not - plans that were mentioned in last week's pinned thread.

• Lindens

We're restarting the main channel. It requires a new version to spin up new hosts, but there are no code or configuration changes being deployed to simulators on 2021-08-31. We will have some configuration changes during our standard RC roll window on Wednesday, look for my weekly forum post in a few minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• Lindens

If you have questions about what we are rolling I usually discuss it, or at least give an update at the Server User Group meetings. 

We gather at noon SLT on Tuesdays in Denby, I usually give an update and then we open the floor for discussion.

You can find a schedule and calendar here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:User_Groups#Calendar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 8/30/2021 at 11:18 PM, Rider Linden said:

If you have questions about what we are rolling I usually discuss it, or at least give an update at the Server User Group meetings. 

We gather at noon SLT on Tuesdays in Denby, I usually give an update and then we open the floor for discussion.

You can find a schedule and calendar here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:User_Groups#Calendar

@Rider Linden I don't like to contradict you old friend, but please do not forget that some users are already in bed at this time or enjoy the evening in front of the TV or started their daily work at that time cause they are in a timezone far away from you. SL is an international platform and it would be nice to use this forum to inform all those who cannot be in SL at this time. 

Edited by Miller Thor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arabellajones said:

Not seen even a hint of anything for the coming week, although Monday is apparently some sort of holiday in the USA. Lazy Day?

I suppose there might be something for the Wednesday RC rollout slot.

Labor Day 2021 will occur on Monday, September 6. Labor Day pays tribute to the contributions and achievements of American workers and is traditionally observed on the first Monday in September. It was created by the labor movement in the late 19th century and became a federal holiday in 1894. Labor Day weekend also symbolizes the end of summer for many Americans, and is celebrated with parties, street parades

Read more here: https://www.history.com/topics/holidays/labor-day-1

7 hours ago, arabellajones said:

Not seen even a hint of anything for the coming week, although Monday is apparently some sort of holiday in the USA. Lazy Day?

I suppose there might be something for the Wednesday RC rollout slot.

99% of the time it's "Internal Fixes".

There certainly aren't any features coming.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.