Jump to content

Enough with TIME LIMITED DEMOS


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Seriously.

Having a demo object that just poofs after a couple of minutes and then demands you return to the vendor to get a fresh demo, most aggravating system ever.

Make a proper demo.

No Sale.

Ha the best is the ones in crowded sims when the timer is up by the time they rezzed on your screen or had the time to look them over and you're just standing their naked. Also, aren't those disabled by sims that don't allow scripts to run? Meaning if someone had a plot with scripts disabled they literally just got a free outfit assuming the demo doesn't also have "demo" plastered all over it.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I assume the reasoning is to deter content theft? I bet they lose more sales than whatever they gain--which in all likelihood is nothing. A misguided attempt to deter a certain small % of bad actors who won't be deterred, and won't buy anything anyway. It only alienates actual paying customers.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Timed demos are such a nuisance. I  believe part of the reason is to give you a full actual demo of their product without any texture changes or attached 'demo' signs. Often the time given is way too short. These days I just toss any timed demos immediately without trying them.

I keep demos as file of things to buy. I remember once needing a pair of boots and I went back into my demos to find all the boots I tried before. I ended up buying boots based on a several month old demo.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do that all the time .. looking for something specific for an outfit .. old demo .. bam! SALE!

Is it just because they can t be bothered to make a seperate version of the product without the word DEMO all over it or a branded box on your head?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I make cars and after years of testing several ways to provide demos, for me the best way is the timed demo. It still wont please everybody but it seem the most accepted way for my category of product.I can see the aggravation for clothing and such but i dont see why they would be a bad thing for every product.

I will probably catch criticism for this. I dont really care. I just go what experience has taught me over the years, 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Jules Catlyn said:

I make cars and after years of testing several ways to provide demos, for me the best way is the timed demo. It still wont please everybody but it seem the most accepted way for my category of product.I can see the aggravation for clothing and such but i dont see why they would be a bad thing for every product.

I will probably catch criticism for this. I dont really care. I just go what experience has taught me over the years, 

At least a car that implodes after it's time runs out won't leave you naked in the middle of a crowded shop! :D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jules Catlyn said:

I make cars and after years of testing several ways to provide demos, for me the best way is the timed demo. It still wont please everybody but it seem the most accepted way for my category of product.I can see the aggravation for clothing and such but i dont see why they would be a bad thing for every product.

I will probably catch criticism for this. I dont really care. I just go what experience has taught me over the years, 

I don't really see any problem with a timed demo for a car, or any other vehicle.  That actually seems quite appropriate for that type of demo.

 

Timed demos for clothing suck.  Demos that have attachments still get used in pictures unless the attachment is placed such that it obscures part of the product -- and people really hate that type because it blocks them from fully seeing how the product would look on them.  Demos that have the word demo written across them cost the creator more money in texture uploads.  So the creator takes the easy and cheap way out by buying a single time demo script and dropping it into a normal copy of their clothing.  The result being a demo that doesn't constantly cost them more texture uploads and (mostly) ensures that the demo version of an item isn't worn for pictures (though any good & determined photographer can get around that and still take pictures using a time demo product).

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Finite said:

Ha the best is the ones in crowded sims when the timer is up by the time they rezzed on your screen or had the time to look them over and you're just standing their naked. Also, aren't those disabled by sims that don't allow scripts to run? Meaning if someone had a plot with scripts disabled they literally just got a free outfit assuming the demo doesn't also have "demo" plastered all over it.

 

8 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I had a demo implode and then the store owner ejected me for nudity. Epic fail. I PMed the owner and all I got "Sorry you need to lodge a ticket with my bot and you have a 30 day ban for indecent exposure."

 

Do you all not hide your body underneath the clothing or some thing?

 

But yeah, limited time demos suck.

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Azure Sands said:

 

 

Do you all not hide your body underneath the clothing or some thing?

 

But yeah, limited time demos suck.

Hmm well rigged clothes don't require much hiding and the ones that do usually have autohiders that autoshow your stuff when they come off...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love putting content creators on block for timed demos,  you want to lose sales on items, this is how you are going to lose sales,  I need more time to sit and tinker, sometimes I'm working on a ticket or remoted into a client working with their problems and I return and it's gone,  I'm not buying another "demo" to have it happen again,  we are done, but if it's like a certain other set of people in SL that think !QUIT still works, that tells me, it's a misunderstanding of the system or the paranoia that's come into some cultures in SL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For dress up, most  of the time I'm not testing an item in isolation.

I need to see if this demo and that demo go well enough together to make an outfit, maybe I need to get this other demo and fiddle around.

A timed demo is good for nothing aside from basic verification "yes these are shoes".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, missyrideout said:

I assume the reasoning is to deter content theft? I bet they lose more sales than whatever they gain--which in all likelihood is nothing. A misguided attempt to deter a certain small % of bad actors who won't be deterred, and won't buy anything anyway. It only alienates actual paying customers.

I think it's more to deter bloggers who wear a demo and edit out the "Demo" sign in photoshop. Still it's pretty useless for that purpose, all the blogger would need to do is set up the shot and the lighting first, then wear the demo and click, in way less than 5 minutes.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For clothes, a timed demo is pretty highly correlated with garbage content anyway. Not always, but... well, there's one even stronger correlation: if they're using the one horrid script that issues the timed-demo threat as:

"WARNING, You have 5 minutes for try this demo."

Those creators are broadcasting inattention to detail.

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I think it's more to deter bloggers who wear a demo and edit out the "Demo" sign in photoshop. Still it's pretty useless for that purpose, all the blogger would need to do is set up the shot and the lighting first, then wear the demo and click, in way less than 5 minutes.

But wouldn't the designer want bloggers to give them free advertisement? This doesn't make sense to me. 

I ran across the "5 minute demo" and immediately took it off and deleted it. Didn't even look to see if I liked it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had one poof the moment I put it on.. I just deleted it and went to the next Item I was gonna demo.. I just don't have the time to be running back to an event that takes a bit to get back into because it's crowded..

If I wanted the item bad enough I would have, but it has to be something pretty nice for me to be double timing it.. hehehe

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find them annoying too... this is why I keep a few setups wearing system clothing so if I have to deal with 5 minute limits, I won't be left looking nekkid in the changing room. Especially important if you're a 'digital hobo' like me LOL and don't have a house/apartment of your own to demo clothes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Time limited demo, time limit actually showing and counting down in "hover text"  just right above the chest, the piece of clothing plastered in demo textures and some swirley demo obstruction in the way... well, why all the hassle? Just put out a sign "I don't want customers, bloody bastards".

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Seriously.

Having a demo object that just poofs after a couple of minutes and then demands you return to the vendor to get a fresh demo, most aggravating system ever.

Make a proper demo.

No Sale.

Yep, I wholeheartedly agree. See:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, missyrideout said:

I assume the reasoning is to deter content theft? I bet they lose more sales than whatever they gain--which in all likelihood is nothing. A misguided attempt to deter a certain small % of bad actors who won't be deterred, and won't buy anything anyway. It only alienates actual paying customers.

It would be funny if that is the case, since it actually makes content theft easier.

If I steal your shirt with "demo" plastered all over it, now I have a shirt with "demo" plastered all over it. I have to develop some texture skills to get rid of the demo texture and make my own.

If I steal your timed demo, now I have a perfectly good product I don't have to edit at all.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...