Jump to content

Does Second Life plan to get into NFTs ?


Recommended Posts

Hello,

After learning about NFTs, and visiting virtual Games such as Decentraland, I thought that Second Life could implement this new "technology." I spent a few hours in Decentraland and honestly, I don't know what motivates people to buy virtual land in such game, with poor graphics, when Second Life does a better job graphically speaking. I looked around and I didn't see anything related to NFTs in Second Life. I don't know if this is related to Linden's strict rules when it comes to the economy of the game (maybe?). Second Life has been around for quite some time, I left the game a few years ago for several reasons (one of them being that I thought the game was getting old and failed to renew itself). Nevertheless, I feel like this game has the potential to be something bigger with the blockchain technology, NFTs and more. I don't know if there is a way to directly ask this question to Linden Lab.... Do they have something plan related to this? Peace.

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SL already has something comparable to NFTs - no-copy objects. There's a market in unique objects and "rares".

If you really wanted to use a blockchain-based NFT system with Second Life, you could do it. A script in the object would make an HTTP call to a blockchain node to check if you owned the object and it was the only instance of that object. If the check fails for a few times in succession, the object deletes itself. Check on rez and once a day.

A nice feature is that a re-delivery terminal for no copy items is possible. You could request re-delivery and get a lost object back. If you managed to get two copies in-world, one would delete itself after a while.

This could be made to work cross-grid, so that you could delete an object on one grid (say SL) and get it re-delivered on some Open Simulator grid.Any grid with tamper-resistant LSL scripts could be allowed to participate.

This requires coding some LSL programs and some smart contracts, and some web servers. If done right, ownership validation should continue to work as long as the blockchain involved continues to run.

To the end user, it would look like an in-world vendor system. No Linden Lab cooperation is required.

This is do-able technically. Interesting project for someone into NFTs. Probably not a moneymaker, but worth doing for the PR value. Make YouTube videos of nice-looking NFTs rezzed in SL. They'd look better than 90% of the NFTs out there.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, richelieu Glom said:

Do you know what NFTs are ?

Yes. I would like you to tell me how and why such a thing could be applied to SL content.

  • What would you wants as an NFT.
  • How would that work (vs content we have now).
  • What would you do with it.
  • How much would you pay for it.

Otherwise its just "SL needs this BUZZWORD for .. um .. reasons .. "

Edited by Coffee Pancake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, animats said:

SL already has something comparable to NFTs - no-copy objects. There's a market in unique objects and "rares".

If you really wanted to use a blockchain-based NFT system with Second Life, you could do it. A script in the object would make an HTTP call to a blockchain node to check if you owned the object and it was the only instance of that object. If the check fails for a few times in succession, the object deletes itself. Check on rez and once a day.

A nice feature is that a re-delivery terminal for no copy items is possible. You could request re-delivery and get a lost object back. If you managed to get two copies in-world, one would delete itself after a while.

This could be made to work cross-grid, so that you could delete an object on one grid (say SL) and get it re-delivered on some Open Simulator grid.Any grid with tamper-resistant LSL scripts could be allowed to participate.

This requires coding some LSL programs and some smart contracts, and some web servers. If done right, ownership validation should continue to work as long as the blockchain involved continues to run.

To the end user, it would look like an in-world vendor system. No Linden Lab cooperation is required.

This is do-able technically. Interesting project for someone into NFTs. Probably not a moneymaker, but worth doing for the PR value. Make YouTube videos of nice-looking NFTs rezzed in SL. They'd look better than 90% of the NFTs out there.

Interesting observation. I really like the cross-grid Idea, since other projects are already doing it with their games (or plan to do it)... moving things from one environment to the other and more. Indeed, there are multiple ideas that people could come up with. When I thought about this, I looked at it more like those Role Play communities in SL. Linden could set up a group of sims, build a city and sell pieces of land as NFTs. Real life companies will be able to advertise their products, establish their virtual shops and more... actually, forget the multiple sims part, I don't know if Linden could come up with something bigger, where we won't have to cross too many sims. It is true that sim crossing is not as bad as it used to be, but still, there needs to be something better.  

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Yes. I would like you to tell me how and why such a thing could be applied to SL content.

  • What would you wants as an NFT.
  • How would that work (vs content we have now).
  • What would you do with it.
  • How much would you pay for it.

Otherwise its just "SL needs this BUZZWORD for .. um .. reasons .. "

I don't know why you are coming at me like that, so I won't answer your questions.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, richelieu Glom said:

I don't know why you are coming at me like that, so I won't answer your questions.

You're asking for something to be added to SL.

SL already has no-copy objects. Land is already individually parceled and sold.

Aside from a sticker proudly proclaiming this thing to be an NFT, or some scripted text output that can be easily duplicated and just as easily ignored. What good would would come from an NFT anything?

If you don't have any idea as to how it might work or what it might add to the experience for SL users then it's just buzzword bingo.

How can you expect anyone, least of all LL, to take the idea seriously if you can't come up with a single applicable use case?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

You're asking for something to be added to SL.

SL already has no-copy objects. Land is already individually parceled and sold.

Aside from a sticker proudly proclaiming this thing to be an NFT, or some scripted text output that can be easily duplicated and just as easily ignored. What good would would come from an NFT anything?

If you don't have any idea as to how it might work or what it might add to the experience for SL users then it's just buzzword bingo.

How can you expect anyone, least of all LL, to take the idea seriously if you can't come up with a single applicable use case?

"Land is already individually parceled and sold... Sticker proudly proclaiming... what good would come an NFT." 🤣 This simply shows that you don't know what NFTs are, but you act like you dot. What about you simply ask instead spreading your ignorance. Don't speak for LL, speak for yourself, cause so far you appear to be the only one who ignores what NFTs are here. There are other topics where you can express your frustration, instead of talking about things you clearly ignore. animats answered because he knows what this is about, unlike certain people.

  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, richelieu Glom said:

"Land is already individually parceled and sold... Sticker proudly proclaiming... what good would come an NFT." 🤣 This simply shows that you don't know what NFTs are, but you act like you dot. What about you simply ask instead spreading your ignorance. Don't speak for LL, speak for yourself, cause so far you appear to be the only one who ignores what NFTs are here. There are other topics where you can express your frustration, instead of talking about things you clearly ignore. animats answered because he knows what this is about, unlike certain people.

I know what NFTs are .. But do you know of a single contextual use for them inside of SL ?

Just one use.

A single use case.

How would you present this to the programmers who will have to implement such a system?

It's not a hard question.

WHY?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah yes, someone answers your question while seeking out what your plans/suggestions are and you jump to their not understanding what you're babbling on about, all while praising one of the usual Forum posters who is known to have their head in the clouds and wanting Second Life to be more like its non-existent competitors.

Sit. Down.

We do not need such things here. Want them? Go to where they are.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I know what NFTs are .. But do you know of a single contextual use for them inside of SL ?

Just one use.

A single use case.

How would you present this to the programmers who will have to implement such a system?

It's not a hard question.

WHY?

Because there's always some idjit willing to pay some ungodly price for some intangible object just for imagined bragging rights in a virtual world?

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Solar Legion People who know what NFTs are can easily understand how LL and SL as a whole can benefit from this. I won't answer her question because I can't tell that both of you don't like the NFT concept, which is understandable, but in this case why can't you guys move on? just ignore this topic. There is another person who understands what I mean, can you allow us to exchange peacefully ?

 

@Rowan Amore please do yourself a favor and do some research.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, richelieu Glom said:

@Solar Legion People who know what NFTs are can easily understand how LL and SL as a whole can benefit from this. I won't answer her question because I can't tell that both of you don't like the NFT concept, which is understandable, but in this case why can't you guys move on? just ignore this topic. There is another person who understands what I mean, can you allow us to exchange peacefully ?

This is your grand idea?

SELL IT TO US !

 

Pretty please ? Just a single practical use case, just one...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

Welcome to a public forum. You lost any control over who responds the moment you created the topic.

You want to "exchange peacefully"? That's what PMs are for.

Do you refuse to ignore a conversation that's about something you don't like ? This is a public forum but you are not the only ones here. More people who finds this interesting are free to join and express their ideas. I don't understand why people who don't understand what NTFs are, refuse to learn what it is before speaking, absolutely want to make this about them. I mean, I understand that with the pandemic things can be though for some people but why do you have to express your frustration here, you have other topics.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What part of this having been discussed before is difficult to understand? What part of it being an ill fit for Second Life is difficult to grasp? What part of people quite understanding the concept of a Non-fungible Token and choosing to not engage you in your gatekeeping attempt is difficult to understand?

You will get responses to this thread from people pointing out exactly what has already been said, generally over the course of several days/pages. They're allowed to do so - deal with it. If you only want those interested in brainstorming, find another venue that you actually have control over.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

How much?!?!  Is that a one of a kind original by Coffee Pancake? OMG!  Let me get my virtual wallet.

I deleted it, gone forever.

That picture is the only proof it ever (virtually) existed, it is unique and irreplaceable.

I was going to make it into an NFT of it (for the princely sum of ~100 ETH), but then my inner anti-capitalist got the better of me and I posted it here, some fool might try to take it and profit from it, and good luck to them, but the original and it's countless copies will always exist free for the world to use as to their individual need with no strings forever.

I just wish the OP could explain the error of my ways ... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

 

I was going to make it into an NFT of it (for the princely sum of ~100 ETH), but then my inner anti-capitalist got the better of me and I posted it here, some fool might try to take it and profit from it, and good luck to them, but the original and it's countless copies will always exist free for the world to use as to their individual need with no strings forever.

 

Only 100 ETH?!?!? Good Lord! Where is my checkbook. That's the best investment since I bought 1000 shares of Game Stop on margin at $400!!!

Edited by MarissaOrloff
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nope,  no copy/no mod items, I do not buy from anyone and if this is a crypto thing, I'd rather we'd not dive into that with SL,  watching the markets, I'd rather not give the lab a billion dollars one day and the next it's only worth 3 cents to them,  nono.  not ruining the lab or SL's income.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...