Decorating, A new money making strategy?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So here is the scenerio, Sl boy meets SL girl, they end up at his place. She comments that the animations in his furniture are not the best, ofers to redecorate his place if he can give her rez rights and take out all his stuff. He does, and she redecorates with quality stuff, but one or two things she needs she doesnt have so she asks him for the money to buy them. He pays her and she finshes the job, he has a great new place. This actuallyhappened to me, and I am thinking those items I paid for she might have actually had, and she kept the money and rezzed the stuff from her inventory. I tried to buy it for her as a gift, it didnt work, can that be disabled? She wanted me to pay her rather than gift her, which makes me suspicious. I am not critcal of anyone's strategies for making Linden, it's all good as far as i see, just wondering about this one and cureous as to people's thoughts. Frem my perspective I am still working on the cost / benifit analysis on this one.

P.S. There is a picture of her and me in the what do you look like thread.

6 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

I am not critcal of anyone's strategies for making Linden,

I would be, if their strategy hinges on a "white lie" (that they don't have the thing they're asking you to buy if they do). Sure, you could come up with reasons to justify it in this or that specific instance, but really, if your business strategy revolves around lying, your eventually going to get caught. SL is big, but any specific community in it is usually rather small.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Not yet... wait for the day that you log in and all her "decorative assets" are gone and you never hear of that lady again.

Anyway, if it is that lady with the nine fox tails: could have cut off some of them and kept them as dusters.

If it all goes away I just put back my stuff and move on, and no it's not the lady with the nine tails.

1 hour ago, Ayeleeon said:

So here is the scenerio, Sl boy meets SL girl, they end up at his place. She comments that the animations in his furniture are not the best, ofers to redecorate his place if he can give her rez rights and take out all his stuff. He does, and she redecorates with quality stuff, but one or two things she needs she doesnt have so she asks him for the money to buy them. He pays her and she finshes the job, he has a great new place. This actuallyhappened to me, and I am thinking those items I paid for she might have actually had, and she kept the money and rezzed the stuff from her inventory. I tried to buy it for her as a gift, it didnt work, can that be disabled? She wanted me to pay her rather than gift her, which makes me suspicious. I am not critcal of anyone's strategies for making Linden, it's all good as far as i see, just wondering about this one and cureous as to people's thoughts. Frem my perspective I am still working on the cost / benifit analysis on this one.

a way to think about it. At worst what you did was to rent the items that you are enjoying - lease length undetermined

another way to think about is that in return for decorating your place in a way that you enjoy, is that your friend got some free stuff (free to them). Meaning that even if your friend already had the things then they would have paid for them previously

and if you had gifted the items to your friend then you are still in the same situation. A home with some nice things on an undetermined lease  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

1 question, did you liked to use the new stuff with her?in case of yes, money well spent....

3 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

I am thinking those items I paid for she might have actually had, and she kept the money and rezzed the stuff from her inventory. I tried to buy it for her as a gift, it didnt work, can that be disabled? She wanted me to pay her rather than gift her, which makes me suspicious. 

Apparently the trust is now gone, if it was ever there to begin with.  Just keep that in mind as you continue with the relationship.

• Like 4

It's hardly a new money-making strategy. There's been home decorators and landscapers around for a long time .. And wherever there's business, there's people who'll try to scam you.

"Gifting didn't work, give me L$" - yeah, no.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paladin Tyran said:

1 question, did you liked to use the new stuff with her?in case of yes, money well spent....

Actually not yet, hopefully it will be there long enough to use with someone though.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Apparently the trust is now gone, if it was ever there to begin with.  Just keep that in mind as you continue with the relationship.

You don't need to trust the people who come to your party with the fine china, if you just bring out the paper plates.

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Why didn't you just buy it yourself and rez it out?  Giving people you just met rez rights is bad enough.  Giving them money?  Yeah, NO.

Sometimes it is interesting to just play along and see where things go. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Dear Ayeleeon, I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with you. In fact that it happens yet there are girls genuinely use the money given to decor the shared-place to be more enjoyable as adults. There are girls genuinely aim to make the shared place to be their home, as homey as possible. Still the girls being cut out because of other factors, like unavoidable clashes of schedules in SL. 

As Orwar said, home decorators/landscapers have been around for long time. And over time, options for style and budget are even more vary. I can sense you are now more careful in dealing with this situation, that you also came up with this topic. IMO, in figuring out costs and benefits, you may opt for renting out an affordable shared-home with high quality adult furniture, to be hustle free in shaping your new stage of relationship, then see where it goes. 

xoxo, 

- millenakera - 

4 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

I've never had that happen.  No relationship I've ever had started with someone complaining that my furniture is old and asking for money to redecorate my house.

I'm not sure if you can turn gifting off.  If you block someone, they can no longer send you stuff.  I'll assume she doesn't have you blocked since you are currently a couple.

You can always have her take you to her favorite furniture stores (as a date) and ask her to teach you how to look for quality furniture and animations.  You buy your own stuff, of course, and you can test it in the store.  Win win win win

You learn stuff about shopping

She gets to teach you stuff and feel like her opinions matter.  You are such a good listener!

You have something to talk about so no awkward silences

Quality time becoming friends before jumping into something else.

Good luck!

16 minutes ago, millenakera said:

there are girls genuinely use the money given to decor the shared-place to be more enjoyable as adults

I don't think I am so charming that she would want to move in with me. So I suspect she has done this, and may currently be doing this with other guys.

Edited by Ayeleeon

8 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

other than having someone buy me stuff, I've actually done this. I had a male friend who had a house that decorated with stuff from 2010.  I basically had him remove everything he didn't absolutely want to keep and replaced it all with my stuff. Why did I do it?  Because I enjoy decorating and that crap was an affront to everything considered decor.     As far as I know, an individual can't disable gift giving.  If she already had it, she'd just get a second copy. 

I have also asked to decorate a friend's house who joined an RP sim, because I had more furniture than them and it just made more sense for me to do it than them buy all new stuff. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Catrie said:

I have also asked to decorate a friend's house who joined an RP sim, because I had more furniture than them and it just made more sense for me to do it than them buy all new stuff. 

Out of curiosity: did you grant the persons edit permissions for your objects? 

There are vendor scripts which check if you have previously bought a product. I don't know if they do work for gifting, though.

18 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Out of curiosity: did you grant the persons edit permissions for your objects? 

There are vendor scripts which check if you have previously bought a product. I don't know if they do work for gifting, though.

They already had the edit permissions. lol  I did have to be added as a tenant to their house, in order to get in the sim's land group to put stuff down. 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.