police blotter?

@Monty Linden   So I remember SL had a police blotter, as it was used for transparency to show Lindens did take action on abuse reports, this is something lots of of us liked looking at and seeing the enforcement that governance did,  why was this taken away? and could we get it back?    it's like checking the local police bookings in the mornings here,  it's something I like to do.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Even Twitter (!!!) informs users that issues they report have been looked at, and what (if any) action was taken.

That's part of why we see the rampant disrespect for LL, claiming nothing's ever done and no rules are ever enforced.

Many aren't, but the few that are, we get no indication unless it's something major like encroaching objects and we go back and check ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Only reason I bring this up.  is because some one mentioned grid survey and it has the blotter posts from 2010 and I want this feature to return, even if it's something we have to pull ourselves from an api.  would be worth it.

Edited by bigmoe Whitfield
Blogger is not blotter.

3 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

So I remember SL had a police blotter, ...  why was this taken away? and could we get it back?

the police blotter was a lulz magnet for disruptive people. So was the cornfield

the lulz being that the disruptive person made it on to the pinup poster

i personally prefer that the police blotter never comes back.  It has zero deterrence on lulz seekers. Silent banhammer is far more of a deterrent, as why bother coming onto SL when their isn't any pinup poster lulz to be had 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

the police blotter was a lulz magnet for disruptive people. So was the cornfield

the lulz being that the disruptive person made it on to the pinup poster

i personally prefer that the police blotter never comes back.  It has zero deterrence on lulz seekers. Silent banhammer is far more of a deterrent, as why bother coming onto SL when their isn't any pinup poster lulz to be had 

I want to know the reasons, I think that should be transparent. but to each their own. 

"Police blotter" history:

Aside from this, it didn't show much:

Community: Incident Report

The Second Life Community Incident Report displays the 25 most recent disciplinary actions taken by the Second Life Governance Team. The date shown reflects when the incident occurred.

xml.gif

Date: Thursday, April 3, 2008
Violation: Community Standards: Assault, Safe Area
Region: FlyinTails Airfield USF
Description: Assaulting others in safe region.
Action taken: Suspended 1 days.

Personally, I'd like to see a return of the incident report.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

As long as it doesn't name anyone because then it draws the idiots for fame.  Maybe even the region name shouldn't be there, since that possibly makes it easier to know the "who".  

Naming and shaming they can remove,  but the sim should stay,  I'd like to know where to avoid.

• Haha 2

Date:   Thursday, April 3, 2008
Violation:   Community Standards: Assault, Safe Area
Region:   FlyinTails Airfield USF
Description:   Assaulting others in safe region.
Action taken:   Suspended 1 days.

is a bit hard to avoid naming and shaming the perpetrator when the people who were griefed were present at the time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

The entire Grid.

There, that was easy.

haha.  no. well, I kinda go 2 places anymore.  since there's not much for me to do, since most of the scifi RP places I used to go, only want hoomans now, I'm not going to change my avatar for them.

Governance is already overwhelmed in handling ARs and marketplace flags.

They most likely don't want the additional workload of publishing reports or even deciding which and what report can be published.

I do, though, wish they could at least post a few of the most interesting cases handled per month, with "names/locations changed to protect the innocent".

1 hour ago, Monty Linden said:

Filing a Jira under Bug as a New Feature is the way to get some attention.  You might not like the disposition of the request but they are heard and discussed.

Thank you, after 14 years,  ya'd thunk, I'd know that. lol.

On 8/28/2021 at 11:49 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

@Monty Linden   So I remember SL had a police blotter, as it was used for transparency to show Lindens did take action on abuse reports, this is something lots of of us liked looking at and seeing the enforcement that governance did,  why was this taken away? and could we get it back?    it's like checking the local police bookings in the mornings here,  it's something I like to do.

I think the Police Blotter, like the economics statistics, was a great thing, and they should bring it back.

But do realize that it wasn't complete and was HIGHLY selective. I thought it would be great if they would publicize all the reports, and publicize which ones they took action on -- that would help dispel the myth that they go "nowhere".

Yet they were indeed edited to create an impression, and very political.

Example: as people who attended it regularly know, the Sutherland Dam discussions I had for years were constantly griefed by certain commuter college kids who were banned multiple times from SL. We would constantly AR them during the meeting and nothing would ever happen, and it would never get on the Police Blotter. Years of it.

The only time there was EVER a Police Blotter from that location (Sutherland) was this one time when one of the hecklers, who was hiding under the dam in the water, began to harass me in IMs, and I pasted his IM into the room chat so that others could see he was there, and doing that, and AR him as well. Whereupon he AR'd *me* for "disclosure", which was taking his harassing chat and publicizing it. 

That's how it was run. Even so, I think they should have it.

And for extra measure, I think they should put avatar names in it AND the abuse reporter. After all, in real life, you can't anonymously give testimony in court nor are prosecuted persons anonymous. The whole point of publicizing names is to create a deterrent against crime AND against misuse of the criminal reporting system.

You don't use the argument, "Oh, but that criminal against whom you gave testimony is going to retaliate". Because if you can't protect people giving such testimony and making such reports in SL (by analogy), then you don't have control over your world.

Eventually the Metaverse will have these things, like real life. Not in our lifetimes.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Protecting peoples privacy. Once an accusation is made all the wingnuts and SL conspiracy theory activists will never leave the wrongly accused alone. If you don't like someone for whatever reason all you have to do to make their life miserable is post a false or misleading report. There is too much of that happening now, no need to make it worse. It's no ones business to know anything about any action given to an abuse report.

image.thumb.png.a710af8851af2b2e497d999ec078e8f2.png

I forget now who wrote the early blotter. Was it Lee Linden? It was really funny, sometimes. I think a blotter that concentrated on the wilder antics would be a source of amusement but also maybe a tongue-in-cheek social pressure on people to be nice? I think it would draw people together, although there's always the risk that snakes would see it as a PR platform. 🐍

Right now, there's no sense of community, no heart to this place. It's all felt distributed and disconnected for a long time.   There's no designated place as part of this service to go for people to congregate, and so nobody knows where to go to meet anyone. On VRChat, you just log in and you're in a room full of people, some oldbies, some new. It's exactly like what we had here with Ahern Start when it all began. A basic social function was made easy by having a kind of watering hole or town square around which a community could congregate that was identified as an official part of, you know, the service.  It was easy to wind up there, and busy most hours of the day with users clocking in from all over the globe. 

Somehow, from my point of view, the basic social functions of Second Life got dragged outside and sledgehammered and I can't understand why. It's obvious that I had such a different perspective on the experience here that my point of view was completely off the radar, but it seems to be a formulaic element of successful social worlds that it's not hard to log in and meet interesting people to converse with, but here, I don't really know where to go to meet a broad swath of people from our world and find out the sorts of things Second Lifers are getting up to generally these days while comparing cool particle effect toys or vehicles or insanely great whatevers. Those were the specific things that made Second Life fun, and you drained specifically those things from the experience. Why?

It's become more difficult to meet anyone via casual perusal. It's frustratingly hard. Like, in my mind, I should be able to hit a control+key combo, get a pop up of places based on dwell, able to apply a bot body count filter, and then sort the results, click, pop over to the first one, check out the scene, click, pop over to the next one, check out the scene, click, pop over-- oh, this looks like my scene, these people are fantastic, I'll go here. Total time: 90 seconds. I feel like right now, I'd have to first start by doing location scouting, because there's no deft-fu way to know where to go *right now* to see what's hot in-world.

It's so strange, there are supposedly more people, and more of them are supposedly online, than ever. But socially the Internet felt larger in the 1990s, and it just keeps getting harder to see anything. Right now I'm not sure I could see my hand if I were touching my nose.  Doesn't this aspect drive anyone else bonkers?

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chroma Starlight said:

I forget now who wrote the early blotter. Was it Lee Linden? It was really funny, sometimes. I think a blotter that concentrated on the wilder antics would be a source of amusement but also maybe a tongue-in-cheek social pressure on people to be nice?

i have to protest this thought

police blotters are a misery business in any world. While they can be anecdotally funny sometimes for persons not affected, the person being griefed is not laughing

if Linden were wanting to actually help relieve the pain of misery on the victims of greifing then they could simply send a private notification to the victim stating that the account greifing them has been terminated

• Like 3