You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. Everything was perfect with the older versions of Firestorm Viewer but since the last two updates I keep getting a message that says "Nvidia OpenGL driver found a problem with the display, Error code 3". I've read that it happened to other people too and I was wondering if anybody found a solution. Every time I try to open the search window, marketplace and other things the viewer stops working and I get that message. I updated my drivers and don't know what to do next. I have GeForce 8400 GS. Can I at least use an older version of Firestorm? Thank you. 

7 hours ago, EnrietaEnacheRomania said:

I have GeForce 8400 GS.

It's probably time to retire it. The card wasn't great for SL when it was new, and that was 15 years ago. The last driver update (342.01, get it from nVidia and don't trust Windows to update it) is almost five years old. It's never going to get better.

The one software related fix that leaps to mind is to go to Firestorm's graphics preferences and in the hardware settings tab uncheck use dynamic texture memory and set the texture memory buffer size manually.

• Like 1

I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest that the big change that finally defeated your graphics card (which in SL terms is a museum piece) was the change in SL to EEP vs Windlight, which involved a lot of under-the-hood changes to the render pathway.

Back in 2008 the introduction of Windlight itself caused many of the then current graphics cards to curl up and die, or give wildly inaccurate renderings (anyone remember the ragged scarecrow avatars?).  My old ATI Radeon x300 card just about held on so long as I reduced my graphics to low with about 10FPS!  I migrated to a slightly more modern NVidia 9400GT which is more or less the next generation on from your card and soldiered on for another couple of years until that cried enough with the advent of mesh.

Life, technology and SL all progress or at least evolve and expecting obsolescent hardware to cope with modern demands is just not reasonable.

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.