Is there any advantage of using the viewer in 'fullscreen' mode?

Jackson Redstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Crossfire and SLI (multiple cards working together) only used to work on consumer drivers with full screen windows. I don't know if it's still the case. I remember having a Crossfire setup long ago when they removed full screen support and it really messed me up. But Crossfire and SLI are pretty much dead now so it's not a big deal.

Immersive factor? 

I run it full screen on my gaming PC for the immersive factor, and have a 27" iMac and MBP laptop next to it to do other things simultaneously if needed, which is rare. I have run my alt male account a few times on then iMac while running Katherine on the PC when building sometimes, since he has furniture and some landscape stuff that I don't have.

Then again, I run all my PC games that I do play full screen (WoT, Sims 4, Post Scriptum, Foxhole, etc). I don't like being distracted when playing a game.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

Crossfire and SLI need direct access, which means exclusive full screen. Borderless window full screen doesn't cut it. Something to do with bypassing the OS compositor or something. Actually they sort of got it working in SLI with windowed screens, but it depends on the drivers and needs a lot more work, and sometimes it doesn't work as well as full screen SLI. But AMD and NVIDIA both sort of gave up on Crossfire and SLI. There was a time they both though multiple mid-range cards was the way to go forward, but they both changed their minds. Now we have 700mm^2+ monster GPU dies instead of two or three 300mm^2 ones.

There is no gain for fullscreen and its an artifact of the past.

Fullscreen Mode comes from a time where we had very limited hardware resources and games very frequently hit their limits, where every single bit counted. Having the OS take up a couple megabytes of your precious 128MB GPU memory was simply not good. Nowadays exclusive Fullscreen is just a waste of implementation, it serves no purpose with most anything frequently not even using most of your hardware resources, on top of that it is often buggy and very crashy because it requires the application to do full render refreshes when tabbing out which frequently crashes games (SL especially, which is why i heard it was removed in the first place).

Do yourself a favor and ignore Fullscreen mode unless it is a borderless window (sometimes also called borderless fullscreen or windowed fullscreen) mode, borderless gives you the best of both worlds, full screen, no accidental clicking outside the app and the ease of tabbing out of the app without risking crashes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/27/2021 at 11:02 AM, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Did SLI or Crossfire ever work with Second Life? 

It has been a very long time since I used it, but I remember it helping just a little bit, not very much. I remember being disappointed by it, but a lot of multi-GPU setups was disappointment, some games it just didn't work well with, sometimes it even made things worse. It went away for a reason. And from a business perspective it makes more sense to sell more cheaper cards, Nvidia doesn't like making 700mm^2 GPUs but they have to if they want high performance. But the tech just never got good enough.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.