Is it me or are sellers intentionally not mentioning permissions in their adverts anymore?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 965 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Angelina Sinclair said:

This seems especially prominent with clothing. I am wondering if it is just me or is this a trend?

I never pay attention to permissions on clothing, simply assuming them to be Copy/No Mod/No Transfer. 

For anything other than clothing, if the permissions aren't noted, then I assume it is No Mod and skip buying it.  I used to IM creators, but that got tiresome.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Angelina Sinclair said:

This seems especially prominent with clothing. I am wondering if it is just me or is this a trend?

I've noticed this too lately. Then they get upset when you ask them if its mod. "How dare thee want to mod my beautiful thing". Um if  I didn't think i could texture it better than you did I wouldn't have asked. Besides most of us know you didn't make it and literally just applied a color multiply layer over the generic map you were provided with the premade.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 2

I never sell items without specifying the land impact. For clothes, the designer should at least put the complexity.

Personally, when I see (on the marketplace of course) an object with no land impact, it shows that the creator has not made a lot of efforts to make his product listing.. so that's a bad point, for me .

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It would only be an estimate -- complexity of a clothing item will show as different to various avatars, based on their computer and possibly the viewer.

I didn't knew it, thanks you :)

9 hours ago, Angelina Sinclair said:

This started when everything started to being offered only as no-mod.

Whenever no perms are listed, assume it's best to assume it's no-mod at least.

Some years ago the saying was: "No mod, no buy". Should I stick to that, I would buy nothing or 0.09% of what I buy now.

It annoys me that every tiny thing an avatar can wear, is no mod. I can understand it to some degree, that very complex items that the creator has spent hours in Blender and PS to get right is no mod. Because he/she can't stand the thought of a newbie slapping an unshaded texture on it.

But small, simple things like a C-string? It simply does not help if they load a HUD with the primary colors and some more colors. It simply will not match anything unless it is solid black. Try to find a creator that has loaded this color in the HUD.

😒 It is lazy and preposterous to think they are selling all the colors people need in their --ing HUD.

8 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

"it's MOD ... it is mod if you use the included HUD to retexture and recolor."

Yeah, no. 🥴

51394220690_3411198c05_k.jpg

• Like 3

It's always been an issue. Especially with clothes. Other items depending on the item your buying usually it's the scripts that are restrictive. On occasion you'll find a creator that is a jerk about the permissions. Back when I rp'ed on a Star Trek sim I bought a Klingon Bird of Prey that was very nicely done. You couldn't mod or decorate the ship though which made it a complete waste of money for me. I asked the creator since they sold a full perm version of the shell if they could send me a modifiable copy of the ship I purchased so could customize it. They refused. The ship now resides in my crap folder of other useless junk a long side my Millennium Falcon and Supernatural "67 Chevy Impala I had the same exact issue with. Needless to say I don't buy ships and vehicles on SL anymore. lol If I can't customize it then I don't buy it anymore. Problem solved.👍😎

I'm okay with no mod clothing and accessories if I have tried the demo and the items fit well. I definitely do not miss the old days of editing and resizing prim bracelets or shoes, etc, to get them to fit. All of this aside, nearly everything in this category is no mod now, so......there's not much choice in the matter.

With vehicles, it depends. Sometimes it's perfect that way it is which is likely why I bought it. 

With houses and buildings, unless it's a really beautiful design that I enjoy as is, I will expect to be able to mod it. In the old days, mod was necessary to at least turn off that horrid full bright that some creators would have on for some reason. I've always played with experiences (what we used to call windlight settings) so If I couldn't mod a structure to at least turn off that full bright, I wouldn't buy it. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Finite said:

I've noticed this too lately. Then they get upset when you ask them if its mod. "How dare thee want to mod my beautiful thing". Um if  I didn't think i could texture it better than you did I wouldn't have asked. Besides most of us know you didn't make it and literally just applied a color multiply layer over the generic map you were provided with the premade.

I put on completely different textures at times. I have a very pretty Toga that I got in a few different colours because I really like it, and it's mod - so I retextured it to look like a galaxy. Looks great, love it, and it would have been impossible for that outfit to exist without modrights. I wish some creators would understand it's sometimes less about making it better, but more about making it different. And chances are, I still wear the item as is, because if I didn't like it in the first place, I'd not have gotten it.

And no, Huds don't do it. Most of the time, they're clunky and not as precise, and often, the settings I want to change can't be changed with them either (The tinting of the speccmap, or the values for it, for example) 

Literally not a single picture I have taken would have been possible without modrights to items. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I really think about the only time I recall paying attention to permissions is with items that I know I will probably be modding, like houses and furniture and things like that or some hair and jewelry and accesories.

With clothes it's mostly, do they have a demo..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Honestly, I really think about the only time I recall paying attention to permissions is with items that I know I will probably be modding, like houses and furniture and things like that or some hair and jewelry and accesories.

With clothes it's mostly, do they have a demo..

I don't expect it with all clothes but sometimes it's the deciding factor of whether I'll buy it or not. I already know of where to go to for mod clothes if I need it. Sometimes I like mod not just for texturing but if I want to match it to another outfit. If something pokes through and has it's own face I can just hide the face poking through using the transparency setting. Asteroidbox and Meva are two places that are normally mod. Asteroidbox in particular rigs really tight, sometimes inside the body a tad which makes their tops great if you have a jacket or coat you like but nothing to fit underneath it. Their mesh panties also fit under nearly any dress I've ever worn. Texture wise they are both outstanding at textures and materials and I rarely ever feel the need to change them other than to hide faces for outfit pairing. 

1 hour ago, So Whimsy said:

Not only with clothing, its happening more with home and garden stuff, too. Like should I just assume its copy/mod or hope for the best?

If home & garden stuff is not marked, I assume that it is No Mod.  Thus for me, NO BUY, unless it is super, super cheap and something that I likely won't want to Mod anyway.

10 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I can understand it to some degree, that very complex items that the creator has spent hours in Blender and PS to get right is no mod. Because he/she can't stand the thought of a newbie slapping an unshaded texture on it.

I think that kind of mindset seems rather contrarian to the whole concept of selling stuff, whether virtual or physical. Yeah, it'd be tacky to put flame stickers on a Rolls Royce, but if that's what the owner of the vehicle wants to do there's nothing stopping them. Besides, it presumes that a noob would shod up the product, and disregards the possibility of an adept Second Life user wanting to tint it to colour match it to their getup. 

I don't go as far as to refuse to buy no-mod stuff, but I very often skip a buy because it's half a shade too bright, or because the material values are too intense or too subtle - things I could have easily fixed myself if it were modifiable. 

289793.jpg

(And yes, that's a brand new £256,000 car with Star Wars stickers on it).

• Like 7

As a creator I can tell you setting perms has got trickier. Rez a prim and make a script inside it.  Set the script perms to yes copy only. Set the prim perms to yes copy yes mod. Now take it to inv. Hey presto ! The Yes Mod has been switched off ! The prim itself is now yes copy only. Now the Yes Mod has to be set once again with the prim in Inv using right click and Properties.  I doubt every creator has cottoned on to this yet.

45 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

As a creator I can tell you setting perms has got trickier. Rez a prim and make a script inside it.  Set the script perms to yes copy only. Set the prim perms to yes copy yes mod. Now take it to inv. Hey presto ! The Yes Mod has been switched off ! The prim itself is now yes copy only. Now the Yes Mod has to be set once again with the prim in Inv using right click and Properties.  I doubt every creator has cottoned on to this yet.

The object will say no mod if there is a no mod script in there even though the object itself is mod. Customers will be able to modify it. They just won't be able to view or modify the script.

1_001_001.jpg

2_001.jpg

3_001.jpg

4_001.jpg

5_001.jpg

6_001.jpg

Edited by Finite

I did send a couple letters here and there with requests for more information or at the least a version of some clothing that isn't set to full bright and locked, or why an item listed with 31 LI is actually 97, but to date have never received a reply to any of those requests, so I stopped trying.

No LI listed (for rezzables)  = No Sale

No Perms listed = No Sale

No Copy & No Mod = No Sale

Bought one item that was "Contact me for the item with the actual perms as listed if I decide your morals are acceptable", will never buy from that merchant again.

Plenty of merchants that want my money enough to fill in all the little checkboxes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rasterscan said:

The prim perm will not change, it's only in the inventory where you will see the prim only copy :)

And when it's the case, you can put copy/modify in the listing, and specify into the description that the scricpt in only copy.

It could be great for LL to change this.. If only the script in no mod, the prim HAVE to be copy/modify even in the inventory, because there is a confusion for some buyers who didn't read descriptions..

Edited by Cuuka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 965 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.